LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Stock Bose Amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Bose Amp

Ok I cannot for the LIFE of me find out what the stock wattage of the stock Bose amp is for a 2006 Impala SS.

I have been looking into upgrading the two rear-most 6x9s to get a little more bass if possible.

Also, are the rear door speakers 6x9s as well? Or are the the 6.75?

Do you all have any recommendations for a nice upgrade over stock for the speakers that are mostly plug and play?

P.S I considered getting subwoofers, but honestly I don't need that kind of bass right now and I would end up succumbing to the usual 'well if I'm gonna do it I might as well go all out' LOL.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

The stock isn't very good its like 30 rms or something, i don't think it would be good enough to power aftermarket speakers well. the fronts should be 6.5s i believe. so your best bet is the rears to get more bass, and not cheap out on them if your looking to get that bass.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a nice pair of 6.5 for the front and a pair of 6x9's that sound great over the stock system. they should be a plug and play with the SS i had them in my Grand Prix. the speakers are Polk audio. they are in one of my for sale threads. I asking $125 for the two pairs they were used about 6 months when i sold the car I paid over $400 for both brand new
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

i was THINKING about getting these 6x9s

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-MTX-XT693-...item5ad99af7b0
Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Infinity Kappa's are GREAT Speakers. I had them in my (don't laugh) 3000GT VR-4 before I bought my GXP. Sounded amazing
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I'm not looking for a vast improvement, just something a little better and that I can build on over time. I would like to know where to find a nice all or mostly touch screen head unit. I prefer the stock look and I could probably only to change to something like a screen. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
I would like to know where to find a nice all or mostly touch screen head unit. I prefer the stock look and I could probably only to change to something like a screen. Thanks for the replies.
start with the headunit, trust me ... i did mine bass ackwards when i did the system, started with the speakers, then did the headunit, then did the sub ... total mind **** of rewiring and ripping out **** i had already done ...

i am a firm believer of being able to a system in a car, sub, speakers, head unit and everything for less than 1000 bucks ... and having bass for days ... clarity that makes the stock cars bose POS sound like **** and expandability options down the road ... extra amp for the speakers, another sub, etc ... because i did mine for less than that ... and am helping my buddy piece together his now, and his total will be right around the same

spend your initial wad on the nicest headunit you can afford, because stock headunits DO NOT SOUND GOOD WITH AFTERMARKET SPEAKERS ... sure there may be the rare occasion that someone lucks out and can live with it ... but sshhhitttttt i wanted to when i first put my speakers in

crutchfield

im not telling you to buy from them, but using their online configuration tool, to figure out what you need is damn convenient, plus it gives you a general idea of how much it should be when you go into a local store ...
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Staging Lane

In my experience as a car audiophile I have never really came across an aftermarket 6x9 speaker that puts out more bass than the Bose speakers them selves. yeah I know this sounds crazy but I used to have a Cadillac Eldorado with the infamous Bose sound system u could turn it all the way up an man would those 6x9s hit hard. so in my over indulgence i decided to rip all the speakers out an redo new stereo, amps, wiring the whole 9, i may have spent about $800-$1000 worth of 6x9s alone and that's not including the front speakers none of them reproduced the type of bass that the factory Bose speakers did. The biggest problem was that they would all distort or bottom out. I had Kenwood, Alpine, Infinity Kappa, and Mb quart.I even thought about buying those high *** focal. the mb quart was were i had to draw the line, to much money was spent on that cars audio system period. My advice is to get a decent set of 6x9s not for bass but for the mids & highs and to also get a subwoofer (I'd recommend Mquart that's a pretty solid 6x9) I hate to say it but the only way to get that low end is with a subwoofer maybe a 10" or 12" but not for SPL (sound pressure levels) but for SQ (sound quality). think about it this way a lot more cars are coming stock with an 8" to 12" sub woofer such as Lexus, Scion, Honda, Ford Gt, Cadillac CTS just to name a few. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 AM
On The Tree

I feel like a tool. SOMEHOW my audio settings reverted back to stock and I don't know how. Unless from when I disconnected the battery to install the HIDs?

Anyway I fixed that and then turned the head unit EQ to 'Auto EQ: Manual' and also turned off my iPod equalizer completely and the sound is amazing! I am no audiophiles by any means since I care very little as long as it sounds good and has good bass for stock and wow, just wow. The stock system is impressive again.

Might still just stick a sub in there for the heck of it. For a single 10"-12" I would just need to wire it from the sub output on the amp correct? Sorry I am not real into this type of thing. Searches yield too many different opinions.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

I feel like a tool. SOMEHOW my audio settings reverted back to stock and I don't know how. Unless from when I disconnected the battery to install the HIDs?

Anyway I fixed that and then turned the head unit EQ to 'Auto EQ: Manual' and also turned off my iPod equalizer completely and the sound is amazing! I am no audiophiles by any means since I care very little as long as it sounds good and has good bass for stock and wow, just wow. The stock system is impressive again.

Might still just stick a sub in there for the heck of it. For a single 10"-12" I would just need to wire it from the sub output on the amp correct? Sorry I am not real into this type of thing. Searches yield too many different opinions.
Now there ya go. I know my stereo in the MCSS puts out hell of bass and I have my bass level turned all the way down. As for wiring the sub and connecting them, there is no sub output on the factory amps the best thing to do in order to connect a sub to a factory amp is to use a "LOC" (Line Out Converter) they can be both cheap and pricey, any where from $5 to $300 don't under spend and don't over spend. The best brand I would recommend is one made by "Audio Control" they have all types, the basic one which is perfect for you would be "LC2i" http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...l----LC2i.html
Ive use there LOCs before great quality, hope that helps
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I kept my factory monsoon system and just installed an iPod integration kit and sub. My car really does sound great. I have one 12" JL W3 (dual voice coil) and a Kenwood 1800W mono block amp. I used a line out converter on the right rear speaker for the amp. The LOC is easy to hook up in the trunk. If you look up in the trunk you have complete access to the back of the rear speaker.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I would look into this if you want to keep your factory head unit:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94

In my monte carlo, I had that JL piece connected to my factory HU to run subs, amp, and 6x9s. I think 99% of aftermarket head units look stupid and are a grand waste of money just to bump line output strength. We already have an AUX in jack and a in dash 6 cd changer so all the features are there.

No 6x9 will never produce good "bass" by nature because muscially, the speaker surface is not tuned to produce those sounds. It is simply too small to accentuate the low frequencies. That's where a subwoofer comes into play. I custom built a box for my two Alpine 10s. Make sure you get a box with some cubic space, so the subs have a deep and rich tone. Spend your money on the sub and amp, and make sure you use 0 gauge wire to wire things, it makes a difference. Spend time tuning the amp by ear more importantly that SPL, so that the combo works to improve the quality of music you listen too.

All too often I see/hear mismatched combos and poorly setup systems but anytime someone got into my car, they loved my system. The highs were clear and strong, the mids gave the music a groove, and the subs hit correctly and didn't drown out the other frequencies. Quality is king.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

^^^^^What he said...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Just got my trans rebuilt after it sat in the yard since November

Anyway, looking to throw a sub in for the heck of it. What I am understanding is that I would need a LOC, amp and a subwoofer? Or can a sub be done without an amp temporarily? Sorry if one of your answers had a link to the whole setup I'm just on my phone.

Only looking to run something off the rear speakers, nothing technical or fancy just adding some bass. Though I do still love the stock Bose sound! (I always love when my idiot friend with stock speakers in his Cobalt and a 15" amp/sub bitches that my sound is so much better...he just threw a ton of sub in his car to be 'cool' idk.

Anyway thanks for your input!

Dan
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock amp cannot power aftermarket speakers because the factory speakers are 8 ohm and the highest resistance of any aftermarket speaker is 4. This means you will be pushing the amp harder than it was designed to and it will blow eventually. Even if you do try it, it will sound worse than stock.

Using "subs", like the stock 6x9's won't get you good performance no matter what you do. The speakers are installed in infinite baffle style, meaning they don't have a box. If you want better bass performance, put your stock 6x9's in some cheap boxes, you'll be surprised. But the best thing to do would be buy a cheap 12 like a JL w0 and put it on a cheap amp, most any amps are fine for small sub amps.

As far as the mids and highs, your going to be way better off doing an aftermarket head unit and power some aftermarket components up front off of it and don't even bother with rears they are there solely for fill and the stock 3.5's are more than fine for that. Your better off spending your speaker budget on some really nice fronts. And eventually you can add a basic amp like an Alpine MRP-F300 for under $150.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Sorry if I confused my intentions. Disregard the original post as I scrapped those plans long ago. Like you mentioned, I just want to run a sub as easily as possible for more bass. Not concerned about mods or highs now. Just want a little more bass and something to do on a boring afternoon lol.

So it would be a LOC off of a rear speaker into an amp and then to a sub?

Sorry if I sound retarded to audio gurus. Being an IT Network Engineer I'm not completely stupid haha but I just don't wanna ruin anything and I do appreciate y'all being patient with me. That's why I've loved this forum for quite a few years!

Dan
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Don't mean to thread-jack, but since this came up, WTH. If anyone has stock rear speakers for an 07 Monte SS, I'd be interested in buying one (or the pair if reasonably priced). Bought the car with one blown, and now that it's warmed up a bit, I'd like to get it fixed.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Lol don't worry bout thread jacking, I pretty much got my answer as soon as someone confirms my last question.

This early spring sure is nice! The one good thing about my broken tranny was it didn't see one but of road salt all winter.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

"So it would be a LOC off of a rear speaker into an amp and then to a sub?"

Basically, yes. But depending on the amp you purchase, you may not need the LOC if it accepts high level input.

I'm in the process to do the same, and have noticed that a lot of the monoblock amps available are configured with high and RCA inputs now.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the Alpine MRP or MRX series for the sub amp. It's a best seller, has really solid quality, and is one of the best bang for buck amp lines around. They also have a built in HI to LOW converter which is what you'll need. There's 500 and 1000 (new 600 and 1200 models start shipping this month) watt models. Tell me what sub your thinking about and I'll help you choose which is best.

If your not sure what sub you want, tell me if you consider yourself an average or critical listener, price range, and size limitations. I like Alpine, JL, Hertz and Audison for subs...

Quick Reply: Stock Bose Amp