LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New tubular control arms from Competition fab

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tubular control arms from Competition fab

Hey guys,

So if anyone noticed that ZZP took down their tubular control arms from their site fear not! I have been working closely with Competition Fabrications out of Maple Park Illinois on creating a new tubular arm using a superior design. The goal is to beat ZZP prices ($500) while using better materials, thicker tubing walls, and an alternative to the problematic heim joint. I am aware of 3 guys who had their ZZP arms break on them and Dave at Comp Fab and I are determined to find a design that will not fail under any circumstances.

I loved my ZZP arms, they dramatically changed the car for the better. The benefit of using beefier tubular control arms vs stock is obvious. The arm itself will flex much less under heavy loads. This leads to the near elimination of torque steer as well as understeer. This will also bring more of a solid feel to the car under any conditions and add steering responsivness, the tires will feel more planted into the pavment.

So what I need from you guys is a preliminary count of who is possibly interested. We're still about 2 weeks out from a prototype for my car, and after a week of testing I will be ready to start taking orders. If you are on any other W-Body related forums I would really appreciate if you guys could post a link to this thread on there and then post a link of the new thread on here so I can see what the interest is. The more intrest up front, the cheapier the arms get! This deal can only add more options to the suspension's of our cars! I also want to look into making an arm to be specifically designed for coilovers in the near future using the small profit from these arms as the R&D fund. But lets get this off the ground!

Please feel free to PM me if your not comfortable posting your response on the thread.

-Brad

Last edited by V8ImpSS; 05-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested but it'd be a while before I ordered as it's not a priority.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UseAsDirected
I am interested but it'd be a while before I ordered as it's not a priority.
Ok great! understood. Spread the word!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I would be interested as well, but I am in the same boat. Just purchased a TEP trans so the wife is keeping an eye on my mod spending

Definitely worthwhile, thanks for going through the trouble!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Very interested.. but in the same boat as everyone else. I wish I had this option back in November -- I just replaced mine with new (but still stock) arms.

But I'm otherwise very interested.

Wes
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in when are we doing deposits?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

YES is all I have to say keep us posted and what price range were you looking at ?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Az2fl80
YES is all I have to say keep us posted and what price range were you looking at ?
Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
I'm in when are we doing deposits?
ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to see support like this and i'm so relieved to see it!

so as far as price, the money to make the jig and first pair of arms will be out of my pocket unless anyone else wants to go in on this whole deal with me. After that I plan on beating ZZP's price of $500 even considering development costs. As long as I break even I will be happy, all I want is a better driving car. Profit isn't my goal here, the only profit I'd like to see is enough to cover the R&D of a version of the tubular arms specifically for coil overs that will happen in the future. I'm talking real coilovers, not the threaded sleeve welded to a strut.

As stated above, we are in the early stages. Serious research began last week and it isn't rocket science so progress has already been made. We simply need to figure out how to continue to use the factory arm mounts while using somthing other than a heim joint that will have more give and absorb the shock from hard bumps. As well as come up with a shape for the arm that will add rigidity, we are thinking more along the lines of a true A Arm shape, or at least as close as we can get without adding another control arm mount to the sub frame. This was the downfall of the ZZP arms. These new arms will be made of much thicker chrome moly steel with a much thicker wall. If we find it necessary, or just as good insurance the arms will be gusseted as well. I want nothing short of a top quality and designed product, I will not stand for anything less anymore for my car! At my day job, the motto I created for the company is "do it right the first time", very original I kno , but I intend to do the same here.

A rough time estimate is 4-6 weeks until production can begin. So I would start taking deposits a week ahead of time. I'm not going to promise a product until I'm sure I can deliver it as represented. I want the prototype installed on my car so I can confirm the performance 1st hand.

If anyone has any input, suggestions, or ideas I'd really like to hear them!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to your list.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have some of the zzp arms, but I'm too scared to put them on.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neilownz
I have some of the zzp arms, but I'm too scared to put them on.
If I were you, i'd do 1 of 3 things. 1st call ZZP and tell them you feel unsafe based on proof that the arms have failed in the past, if they say go F yourself you can scrap them. Or you can get in contact with a guy like Dave at Comp Fab and have them gusset up the ZZP arms so its not a total loss.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

YYYEEEEEPPPPPPP!!!!!!! put me on the list
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not personally interested in this, but if you would like ill post a link of this thread on the other forum im on with monte carlo owners.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The theory is they make the torque steer significantly less. Nobody wants to take the liability risk.

Google Ron Vogal. I think he made made some for a gtp a few (~10) years ago.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neilownz
The theory is they make the torque steer significantly less. Nobody wants to take the liability risk.

Google Ron Vogal. I think he made made some for a gtp a few (~10) years ago.
I can confirm that they significantly reduce torque steer, if the car was purely a race car, that never went over big potholes or even an average bump, I think the zzp arms would be fine. But it's still dangerous since so many have broke.

There's a lot of Ron Vogals showing up on google, I tried adding suspension and control arm to the search and came up with nada.

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
im not personally interested in this, but if you would like ill post a link of this thread on the other forum im on with monte carlo owners.
That would be great if you would! Everyone else please feel free to do the same. Just copy and paste this:

PLEASE repost this link and sentence in other w body forums, and when you do, post a link to the new thread you just made on THIS thread. The link to the main thread on LS1 tech is below, i will check every thread that has a link. Thanks, V8ImpSS

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ition-fab.html
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

.ttt.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any word on deposit yet?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Any word on deposit yet?
No, not quite yet. Dave at Competition Fabrications is a busy guy, building dragsters, race cars and all. I'm hoping to be able to get a final design by week's end, but not for sure. I'm as eager as all you guys, my car is currently decomissioned until I get some new arms. If you are subscribed to this thread, you will be the 1st to know of any progress that has been made. Both dave and I are currently finishing up some R&D, I've talked to at least 5 other suspension guru's to get their input, but theirs a few other bases I wish to touch before production.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

V8impSS: I am currently building a set of lower control arms now for my Monte. I will be using 4340 tubing with .093 wall if I can get it, if not .080 will suffice due to the strength in the 4340. I will use the stock arm as a pattern with the addition of gussets to reinforce the basic triangle design. A poly bushing rearward, a Moog bolt on ball joint and to solve the heim joint issue I am using a Jony Joint fitted to the cradle that will adjust in a welded on internally threaded tube. All welded up and powder coated. I originally ordered the ZZP control arms but glad they never delivered, now that I hear all about the breakage. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it does, we're planning on involving the jonny joint. Ive talked to a few people at currie as in john curry, inventer of the johnny joint. Thank you for posting your information!

Quick Reply: New tubular control arms from Competition fab