LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)

This is not a proper JSP, just the basics with photos so that you know ahead of time what is involved. I do not have the exact torque value for each bolt/nut. Be safe.

Pictures taken passanger side wheel.

1. Support vehicle, wheel off the ground.
2. Removed the wheel, 19mm (stock), 5 nuts.
3. Removed the brake caliper, 13mm, 2 bolts. Remove the brake pads.
4. Tie wrap or otherwise support the caliper out of the way, I tie wrapped mine to the spring.
5. Remove the brake caliper support bracket, 15mm, 2 bolts. These were difficult all the way out, possible lock tight.
6. Remove the rotor, it is fastened to the bearing hub by a #27 torx screw.
7. Remove the axle nut, 34mm.
8. Unplug the ABS sensor and disconnect it from the rotor shield, remove the bearing hub assembly and rotor shield, look closely how the shield is oriented, 13mm, 3 bolts. These bolts are pulled from the back side, next to CV axle (No picture). The hub should slide off the CV axle, both of mine came off without any problems, pushed them through with my thumbs as I pulled them off. These bolts are lock tighted, they are very difficult all the way out.
9. Congratulations, start reassembly. Be sure to apply lithium grease to spline of axle (or equivalent) and also be sure to apply lock tight to the bearing hub assembly bolts upon reassembly. Just reverse the procedure to get back up and running.

Tools required:

Ratchet
3 inch extension
13mm socket
15mm socket
19mm socket
34mm deep well socket
Thread locker
#27 Torx socket or wrench
Torque wrench (reassembly)

Tools that make the job easier:

Breaker bar and cheater
1/2" impact
Tie wrap
Drop light
Attached Thumbnails Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-abs-sensor-location.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-assembled-ready-wheel.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-axle-nut.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-axle-spline-lube.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-bearing-hub-place.jpg  

Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-brake-caliper-bolts.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-brake-caliper-bracket-bolts.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-new-bearing-hub-assembly-abs-sensor.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-pull-down-complete.jpg   Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)-rotor-shield.jpg  

Last edited by impala06ss; 10-25-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I appreciate all contributions of knowledge for the community.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent! I suggest that this be stickied!

Out of curiosity, how long did the R&R take?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Less than 1 hour per wheel, could do it in less easily now that I have done it and know what to look for.

Cost = around $300 for both hubs and $15 for the 34mm deep well socket.

I could have gotten the hubs for $200 if I had wanted to use hubs from china. I did not, I opted for the Korean bearings.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Anyone have the reassembly torque specs for this job? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement (06 Impala)