LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Charging System Failure

Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charging System Failure

This has been plaguing me for about 2 weeks now and I cannot find a solution. My car won't turn over or anything the battery gets so low. I've replaced the alternator twice now and when that didn't work I got a new battery which all of them have remedied the problem for a few days at a time but come again today car won't start saying Charging System Failure. I'm so lost on what this could be. Anyone have suggestions on what to replace next? :/
Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...g-problem.html

check the end of that post.
i order that sensor on mine and havent gotten it put on yet. mine will vary some times my charging is fine, sometime its very high and very low.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lVloses
This has been plaguing me for about 2 weeks now and I cannot find a solution. My car won't turn over or anything the battery gets so low. I've replaced the alternator twice now and when that didn't work I got a new battery which all of them have remedied the problem for a few days at a time but come again today car won't start saying Charging System Failure. I'm so lost on what this could be. Anyone have suggestions on what to replace next? :/
Check the fuse box connections i had the same problem and where the plug on the bottom of fuse box lines up with alt fuse was all dirty cleaned and also replcaed alt fuse and no problems since
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I've got it figured out. I did a test to see how much power was being pulled while the car was off. After the computers shut off I still had a .7-.8 amp drain on my car. Pulled the fuse going to my subs' amp and boom! Down to .02 amps which is perfect! Now I need to figure out why my amp is drawing so much power all of a sudden. I've had it for close to 2 years now and never had a problem with it. Wish me luck! And thanks for the tips.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

If the amp drain isn't your issue, there is a 200A fusible link in the power cable that runs to the alternator. If it blows, the alternator will not charge the battery and once it runs down you will be done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging System Failure