LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 GXP aftermarket radio question

Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GXP aftermarket radio question

My 06 GXP's radio is very limited as far as features, so I'm looking into a double din to throw in there. I'm looking at something like this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271333137521?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
I have a few concerns with this install, this head unit in particular has a 7 inch screen, and most of the dash kits for my car say the newest 7" decks will require modification to the dash frame to fit the radio. Has anyone installed one of these or something similar? If so, what dash kit did you use and where can I find one, I'd rather not have to take sandpaper to the dash mounting frame, but if no other option is available, I'll do what it takes. I really like the look and functionality of this deck in particular.

Secondly, I know that some of this car's features run through the radio to the DIC and HUD. My GXP has the NON-MONSOON system, so there's no factory amp to worry about that I'm aware of. I have a vague idea of what you loose when you switch to aftermarket (steering wheel controls obviously, date feature), but if someone who has done an install already could fill me in on what exactly I'll loose, and if it's retainable, that would help me a great deal. I plan on retaining the steering wheel controls, and have a couple modules I'm looking at to do that.

Any other helpful hints or tips are more than welcome, I have done plenty of radio installs, but mostly on older cars where it was simple plug and play once you had the harness wired correctly. Anything I may need for my GXP besides the obvious, please let me know. I would rather be safe than sorry. I plan on swapping all my speakers with kappas and amping them with a 4 channel, as well as installing my 15" type R subwoofer as well (tuned quietly obviously, I would rather not rattle my car to pieces lol). I don't plan on running an obscene amount of power, just enough to get tight kicking bass notes and crisp highs. So I shouldn't need a high amp alternator, but a good battery is on the list.

Last edited by ZGXP101; 04-19-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my set up that is for sale, I only lost the date in the DIC.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-classifieds/1781866-fs-pioneer-dvd-nav-bypassed-all-accessories.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 GXP aftermarket radio question