LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thermostat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Thermostat replacement

After reading many threads about replacing the thermostat I would appreciate some input from someone who has done it. I read the back bolt can be accessed using long extensions running behind the front manifold. Some say the heat shield needs to be removed to do this, some posts do not mention this at all. I will be flushing the system for the first time so I would like to do the thermostat at the same time as preventive maintenance. Also anyone still use the GM sealing tabs or some other product when doing this? I hear the job isn't fun so any input or tricks to make it any easier would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, its appreciated.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been so long since I did mine but it's probably best acceded from below. Although removing the front manifold might be the fastest way to have plenty of a cess to everything
Old 05-09-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. That manifold is staying right where it is until this car is done with its daily driving duties and the motor and tranny come out(hopefully winter 2017 for a full rebuild/refresh) . If its that much of a pain the thermostat will have to wait until then. I had a hell of a time trying to get that black plastic cover off for the transmission cooler install so that isn't really an option either. Even the drain plug looks terrible to access so I'm hoping to flush removing the lower hose. Thoughts on that?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always used the upper hose and a garden hose to flush.the refill with appropriate mix.If you dilute your own, use distilled water.the gm seal capsule are not needed.this was like a north star thing maybe few others.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. I only though about the lower hose as I figured it would be off for the thermostat replacement. if I decide the thermostat isn't worth the skin loss I will use the upper hose. I will be using a dex-cool distilled water mix .
Old 05-23-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update on this. Did the thermostat and flush and fill, WAS NOT FUN! While getting the rear bolt out using extensions running behind the exhaust manifold works, its a complete mf getting the bolt back in. The bolt would just keep falling off the socket while trying as careful as could possibly be to snake it back in. I ended up using spray tack glue on the bolt and socket which held it on long enough to get it back on and threaded. Another fun piece of the puzzle is the spring clamps. There is just no room to get at them with anything, I ended up buying a set of spring clamp pliers and then it was easy to slid back on. One more fun fact is MR Gasket 180 degree thermostat part number 6368 does not fit, its too tall. It says it fit all 04 and newer ls/lq/and lm sb chevy motors(with separate water neck?), I thought that's what we have .So many posts say they are all the same, I guess they are not. I read a post here somewhere the guy said it took him 5 minutes to change his out, took me over 6 hours. These cars are no fun to work on. Some pics of the different height tsats and my makeshift extension. I had a longer extension, but it was too hard to work going under the manifold and I found having different lengths a tad easier. Glad its done
Attached Thumbnails Thermostat replacement-extensions.jpg   Thermostat replacement-tstat.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lmao you poor poor man, gonna have to make some tool recommendations for you to add to your tool box to make these jobs easier :p
Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make them for the next guy, never doing this job again
Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Pen magnet would've saved you a lot of time. Also the ls2 tstat 180 is the one that works. I choose to run factory tstat even here in arizona I still stay under 194. Remember your fames come on at 192 anyway.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the pen magnet may have got the bolt there if it was over 2 feet long , but there is no room to get your hand in there so you really need a socket to start the threading. A post on a gto forum talked about this tsat , not sure why it didnt fit but it bottomed out. Maybe ours is somehow different. Wanted to do 180, threw in a Stant 187. Small difference I know but could have lowered cruising temps some . Any idea if a tech 2 scanner can program the fans on sooner? I have to get my car in for a recall and was thinking about asking about that if it does infact do that. Thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't want it to run any cooler then what it already runs, kills efficiency that way. Honestly these cars run alot cooler then what my cobalt used to run, fans were programmed to turn on at 226 from the factory. lol I think in the amount of time it took you to do that thermostat i had most of the front end of the car disassembled. lol
Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO ,Yea, I guess I should stop reading all the posts. Most of them them say to have the fans programmed thru a tune along with the trans. Post some of your progress, it seems slow here lately. How are you telling what the temp is actually, the gauge is useless for that?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
LMAO ,Yea, I guess I should stop reading all the posts. Most of them them say to have the fans programmed thru a tune along with the trans. Post some of your progress, it seems slow here lately. How are you telling what the temp is actually, the gauge is useless for that?
I use HPtuners for just about everything when it comes to datalogging to make sure the car is up to par. Right now progress is kinda at a stall, cam should be in this week and ill be fully reassembling the engine, and I believe they are going to be starting on the trans rebuild as well, if all goes well in two weeks or so this car might be up and running. Still have a ton of boxes coming in the mail, exhaust parts mostly, vband clamps and flanges, o2 extenders, pipes, etc.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you have a laptop in the vehicle or is that similar to a Diablo stand alone unit?
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
So you have a laptop in the vehicle or is that similar to a Diablo stand alone unit?
laptop and the hptuners adapter cable, i use an inspiron 11 with a touch screen. Datalog the information I need and then make adjustments and upload a new tune. diablo standalone is crap, had one, didnt allow the kind of adjustment that you can have with hptuners and had numerous issues with it failing during writes and bricking the ECM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:11 PM

Nothing cuts the fans down from the 192 turn on fan temp. Unless you use a custom operating system which enables you to go from 163 and up. What you can adjust though is your fan percantage power at whatever tEmp after 192 you want.

I use a tablet mounted in the car with hp tuners. So much better than the laptop
Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh i just never recommend running the fans at 100% in any situation, last time i tried that it blew both fuses.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by spawne32
Yeh i just never recommend running the fans at 100% in any situation, last time i tried that it blew both fuses.
Oh god no lol I just scaled them to reach quiker to 50 60% iirc
Old 05-24-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Nothing cuts the fans down from the 192 turn on fan temp. Unless you use a custom operating system which enables you to go from 163 and up. What you can adjust though is your fan percantage power at whatever tEmp after 192 you want.

I use a tablet mounted in the car with hp tuners. So much better than the laptop
Good info. Thank you. I'm really old school so tuning is probably way over my head. I have a buddy who is a computer programmer, and is very technical although not any kind of gearhead. I will talk to him about this when/if I decide to try something like this.

Quick Reply: Thermostat replacement