LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Fuel system cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system cleaners?

I recently had a bit of a pinging when the engine was under load, but the car has been tuned by Lew and this pinging just happened recently so after some sniffing around it looked like it may just be carbon build up. I ran some of the regular small bottle Lucas through it and now no more pinging, so either I had bad gas or the Lucas worked.

But as I started researching I found people mentioning "GM Fuel system cleaner plus" and "GM upper engine cleaner and fuel system cleaner". People are saying that either of those two things are as good as "Techron" because they are very similar. I'm just wondering what everyone else uses and since I'm in canada.... I don't see the "GM" label but I see a lot of the "AC Delco" labeled stuff... are they both the same product?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd assume there the same but I run e85 so my fuel system stays pretty much spotless
Old 10-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I'd assume there the same but I run e85 so my fuel system stays pretty much spotless
Are our cars ready for E85 from the factory or are you tuned for it?

I've heard a lot of hate about E85 and then I also hear of guys who run it in their trucks finds it burns a hell of a lot quicker through a tank. But I also see the HP ratings of the big 3 get their max ratings when you use E85....
Old 10-24-2015, 12:49 PM

Your fuel system components are fully e85 compatible but we lack the flex fuel hardware to just pump e85 without a tune
Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 PM

Anyone who hates e85 generally just reads scams posted by big oil company propaganda. While e85 fuel rums will be more frequent , the clean burn and longevity of fuel system and engine components is longer.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best advice i can recommend is pulling your injectors and sending them out to osidetiger.com for professional cleaning and flow balancing. But in the absence of that, repeated use of redline fuel system cleaner is the only other thing I recommend as an alternative. 90% of the "fuel injector cleaner" on the market consists of petroleum distillates, aka kerosene and oils. They do a **** job of cleaning any sort of deposits and mainly serve as a lubricant for the moving parts in the fuel system that dissipates after a couple hundred miles. You can try seafoam in the tank but again, placebo effect results there as well in most cases.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips

Quick Reply: Fuel system cleaners?