LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Massive leak output shaft area 06 impala ss

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive leak output shaft area 06 impala ss

I have an 06 impala ss that just had a major rebuild about a year ago less than 20,000 miles ago. Very repuitable and recommended tranny shop. Built exactly like triple edge preformance tranny. I was driving home from work and transmission started to slip and then wouldnt shift. This all happend in a matter of less than a minute and maybe 500ft of pulling off interstate. I pulled off the rd and looked to see what was going and and had fluid pouring out of driver side out put shaft area. My question is would that be just a seal or something more major? Any info or advice. Im out of state were i had rebuild done and cant get it to shop i had work on it done and i right now parked in a friends yard.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Blew a trans cooler line, grab some shop towels look under the driver side front of car. You'll see the trans pan, there will be two metal lines running to it. Start drying the line all the way to the radiator. You should find your leak. Whatever u do avoid driving or moving vehicle under it's it's own power till you resolve the issue. Now would be the best time to install a trans cooler if you don't have one already as well. And replace the filter.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Nothing to do with a cooler line. I have a cooler for a 3500hd on it... Temp never gets above 150. and all those lines are good. Its coming right from the the output area around the cv shaft....
Old 11-11-2015, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like its just the axle seal on the drivers side, possible it wasnt installed properly.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep had that on 2002 gp didn't give it a knock with soft blow or brass hammer drove 25 miles lost all fluid,it has got to seat in like little hump its got to get over in trans,prob no damage yet just take wheel and hub off and tap axle on end with nut all the way to top of threads so no mushrooming,if u use metal hammer then use block of wood

Quick Reply: Massive leak output shaft area 06 impala ss