LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

help needed with a few temps.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed with a few temps.

Hey guys, I need a little help verifying all my temps are correct. I recently got a aeroforce interceptor, and after a hour drive in 86 degree weather, trans temp went up to about 185 Max which I'm fine with( stage 3 TEP trans and Hayden 679 cooler.) But my oil temp is reading 220* (oil t calc) and my coolant temp is right around 200* . Battery voltage is between 12.5 and 14.5 while driving or at idle. I know voltage is off but the new alternator didn't help that. Any ideas as to if the rest of the temps are OK?
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since there is no actual oil temp sensor there calculated from various sources on what it might be. That is right about normal though. Also coolant is right where it should be for a stockish car. Voltage will always fluctuate depending on load on the charging system it is not steady state like old school systems are.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have variable rate alternators, i initially panicked too first time testing my alternator and seeing it charging at 12.7v, soon as you put a load on it though it should begin to ramp up to a higher voltage. With my smaller battery and my fans being consistently on, i have seen voltages as high as 15v in the dead of the winter in sub 20 degree weather. 185* is great for trans temps, even with my trans cooler i can see upwards of 210* from my high stall. Part of the reason im going with a dex3/racing atf mix this month.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spawne32
We have variable rate alternators, i initially panicked too first time testing my alternator and seeing it charging at 12.7v, soon as you put a load on it though it should begin to ramp up to a higher voltage. With my smaller battery and my fans being consistently on, i have seen voltages as high as 15v in the dead of the winter in sub 20 degree weather. 185* is great for trans temps, even with my trans cooler i can see upwards of 210* from my high stall. Part of the reason im going with a dex3/racing atf mix this month.
Thanks for the help man. I'll have to keep an eye on the voltage while driving. I know it's a little off but it could just be the reman alternator I put on a few months ago.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Since there is no actual oil temp sensor there calculated from various sources on what it might be. That is right about normal though. Also coolant is right where it should be for a stockish car. Voltage will always fluctuate depending on load on the charging system it is not steady state like old school systems are.
Thanks man, glad to know everything is alright. I have a bunch of stuff going in soon. Cam, headers, ls1 intake, ported throttle body, etc. What kinda temps you think I should be seeing with those kinda mods? What would be too high temp wise with mods?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

they shouldnt effect your temps at all as far as im concerned
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve06mcss
Thanks for the help man. I'll have to keep an eye on the voltage while driving. I know it's a little off but it could just be the reman alternator I put on a few months ago.
The voltages sound fine to me, the voltage will vary from 12.5 to 15. Normally after a long sit ,"few days" mine will charge 14.5 for roughly 45 minutes or so, then after that voltages are all over the place. The computer controls the pulse width modulation to the alternator to control its output, based on draw and the pwm to the alternator you will see voltages all through that range. The computer is also able to read amp draw etc, anyways.

The only real way to test is to put a high load on the vehicle and test the amp output on the alternator wire, and see if you are getting near its rated output.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sint3k
The voltages sound fine to me, the voltage will vary from 12.5 to 15. Normally after a long sit ,"few days" mine will charge 14.5 for roughly 45 minutes or so, then after that voltages are all over the place. The computer controls the pulse width modulation to the alternator to control its output, based on draw and the pwm to the alternator you will see voltages all through that range. The computer is also able to read amp draw etc, anyways.

The only real way to test is to put a high load on the vehicle and test the amp output on the alternator wire, and see if you are getting near its rated output.
Thanks man. That's useful info. Just finished a 8 hour drive. With the last 1-2 hours being up hill in through the great smokie mountains( north Carolina side of Appalachian mountains.) And the highest trans temp got was 211* and engine t call never above 230*. So I'm gonna say everything is just fine. Car only had maybe 30 minutes of rest during 8 hours of driving. I'm very pleased with how well it did.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

230 is a bit warm. In my opinion even for summer granted I'm tuned but I dont see more than 200 ever.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
230 is a bit warm. In my opinion even for summer granted I'm tuned but I dont see more than 200 ever.
Any ideas on how to bring down that temp? I know it's just calculated and not actual but it would give me peace of mind.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steve06mcss
Any ideas on how to bring down that temp? I know it's just calculated and not actual but it would give me peace of mind.
with hptuners you can readjust the way the fans operate, and generally speaking unless your in a climate that see's sub zero temps frequently during the winter, a 70 water 30 antifreeze mix with water wetter or purple ice will net you at least 10-20 degrees cooler on average.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spawne32
with hptuners you can readjust the way the fans operate, and generally speaking unless your in a climate that see's sub zero temps frequently during the winter, a 70 water 30 antifreeze mix with water wetter or purple ice will net you at least 10-20 degrees cooler on average.
I've got the tune from overkill, I know he has the fans coming on early, which is why I thought it was odd it was still kinda high.

Quick Reply: help needed with a few temps.