LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Won't shift out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't shift out of Park

Strange... been driving fine no engine codes no blips in feel or performance...

Pulled the car into parking spot at work shifted to Park and went to work... go to leave at the end of the day and the shifter moves but on the DIC it stays in park.

The shifter feels easier than normal to move... did a cable snap or something I've read a lot of GP forums never really seen this...

Just wondering if someone has any idea.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Launching!

actually... looks like the ball joint under the hood has come off the shifter whatever the hell its called... real bitch to get at I cant even reach it.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you gain access by removing the console?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Launching!

I called my Girlfriend and she drove down and her skinny arms were able to slip by the brake fluid reservoir and reattach! But... that little bitch of a bushing needs to be replaced.... gotta research what I need to buy...
Old 05-05-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks like the cable to me. This might work?

http://www.bushingfix.com/pontiac-gr...ng-repair-kit/

Edit. I think it might be this one.

http://www.bushingfix.com/chevrolet-...e-bushing-kit/

Last edited by rottonj; 05-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Launching!

I saw that but at $25 plus likely $25 shipping and conversion... I dunno... I'm going to see if my parts store can get me this..

part# 14057 made by Dorman = Shift Cable Bushing
Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a fan of Dorman, that part doesn't look right to me. Good luck, post back your findings.

Here is a video of a similar fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE35...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by rottonj; 05-07-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
I saw that but at $25 plus likely $25 shipping and conversion... I dunno... I'm going to see if my parts store can get me this..

part# 14057 made by Dorman = Shift Cable Bushing
Did this work?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Launching!

I wanted the car on the road quick so I decided against ordering the bushing would have taken several days easily...

But I ended up having to replace the entire cable right from the center console through the firewall to the transmission.... ended up costing me $250 all in with labor etc...

What happened was I ordered the end of the cable that was required(cost me $90) but my mechanic when he pulled the existing cable apart a small little clamp broke and then I had to buy the other part of the cable which that little internal clip was part of...

sheesh...

In the end its shifting fine again.

But now I have a gross misfire on all cylinders each time I start up.. I mean... its just running like ***...

So to start I replaced the battery because it was half bad and leaking anyway... did the job the other day and oh my god that was a bitch of a job don't listen to people on the internet saying its a 15 minute job... I mean I couldn't have done it myself I needed a second pair of hands... and it didn't help that I had the cartuning kit either to work around/take out/move aside or whatever...

Anyway.... not really sure why the car is running like ***... I have voltage drops happening that I can not diagnose etc etc etc...

the car is hurting bad right now... its driveable but I'm not pushing it one bit I'm afraid...

I'm going to have to break down and take it to a GM dealer hopefully they can tell me what the hell is going on...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, battery isn't fun in these cars. Have taken the redtop out a few times and hate it every time. Some people install a slightly smaller battery, probably fine but not going there on mine as it isn't that hard to replace. Bummer about the extra dough for the cable, **** happens. Keep at it, you will figure it out. Keep posting and asking, some sharp guys here knowledgeable with tuning can probably figure it out.

Quick Reply: Won't shift out of Park