LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LS4 Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/)
-   -   My car key was taken (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1839669-my-car-key-taken.html)

1speeder 07-23-2016 07:16 AM

My car key was taken

So someone has the ignition key.... I have an 07 GXP... I would like to make it so their key no longer will start the car or open the doors... Is there a way to reprogram these keys? Anyone know how expensive it would be to change the ignition so the stolen key no longer works? I have to find a solution fast. Last night my car was stolen out of my driveway. I recovered the car but the police were unable to catch them...

rottonj 07-23-2016 07:19 AM

Gonna have to bring it to a locksmith I would imagine. It wont be cheap. You have a second key? How did they get the key and where in CT are you?

67Lark 07-23-2016 08:30 AM

Being a pass key you can get new keys and program them which would then disable the old key from starting the car. However there is no way to prevent them from using the key to get into the car/unlock the ignition without replacing all of the cylinders.

1speeder 07-23-2016 10:51 AM

Hi rottonj- I am in the central area of ct. I am located in Bristol. When I bought extra remote key fobs and keys I indeed had to use a lock Smith and all got programmed.. I have 3 spare ignition keys and 2 key fobs.. The car came with 1 key and one fob.. I can't be certain the key it came with was the pass key. The stolen key happened to be the one that came with the car. I was detailing the interior Thursday and was unaware the key was loose on the floor mat... I locked the doors using the door handle lock switch.. I went back and forth to my trunk a few times after... The battery on the key fob was weak and I changed the battery.. I took for granted the doors would stay locked having locked them previous. I tested the battery in the remote using the emergency button so the horn beeped.. I failed to double check the doors. I went outside on the deck in back if house at 12:45am..i am about to go in then I heard my car start quickly jumped up to look and watched my car drive off. I called it in stolen and they spotted it half hour later.. No damage to the car.. I am very fortunate. Cameron what do you mean when you say change the cylinders..

67Lark 07-23-2016 11:34 AM

By changing the cylinders I mean changing the piece you slide the key into. The door lock cylinder, trunk lock cylinder, and ignition cylinder. This is the only way to prevent then from unlocking and getting into your car.

rottonj 07-23-2016 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1speeder (Post 19336680)
Hi rottonj- I am in the central area of ct. I am located in Bristol. When I bought extra remote key fobs and keys I indeed had to use a lock Smith and all got programmed.. I have 3 spare ignition keys and 2 key fobs.. The car came with 1 key and one fob.. I can't be certain the key it came with was the pass key. The stolen key happened to be the one that came with the car. I was detailing the interior Thursday and was unaware the key was loose on the floor mat... I locked the doors using the door handle lock switch.. I went back and forth to my trunk a few times after... The battery on the key fob was weak and I changed the battery.. I took for granted the doors would stay locked having locked them previous. I tested the battery in the remote using the emergency button so the horn beeped.. I failed to double check the doors. I went outside on the deck in back if house at 12:45am..i am about to go in then I heard my car start quickly jumped up to look and watched my car drive off. I called it in stolen and they spotted it half hour later.. No damage to the car.. I am very fortunate. Cameron what do you mean when you say change the cylinders..

Glad you got it back, unless its a problem car lol. I imagine to be safe both door locks and ignition will have to be replaced, GXP has no trunk lock cylinder at least my 08 doesn't. See what the insurance company suggests. I imagine a set could be purchased somewhere, door locks if you are handy you could probably do yourself. Maybe ignition too, although there could need to still be programming. Stop into a GM dealer and ask, but you will probably be better off having a locksmith do it. Post back how you make out.

1speeder 07-23-2016 01:56 PM

The process

The GM dealer is usually the first call I make to gather the info I will need. So it begins. In the end the problem gets corrected and the effort provides experiential knowledge. Can I ask where about in CT. Rottonj is from?

rottonj 07-23-2016 02:36 PM

I'm in Enfield

HSKR 07-31-2016 09:59 PM

Take it to a locksmith. They can re-key the cylinders and cut you new keys without having to completely change the cylinders. Or at least they should be able to. Of course, it might be cheaper to grab new cylinder and ignition out of a junkyard car than having them re-keyed.

Adam Lyth 12-19-2018 02:56 AM

When it comes to car key replacement Dallas companies, you will quickly discover that you have a wide range to choose from. With their expertly trained and knowledgeable techs, they truly believe that they offer the very best key FOB and key replacement services on the market.With the increasing technology in the key industry, there are now tons of different remotes, keyless entries, and key FOBs available. This is why they ensure that their car key replacement Dallas techs are equipped with the knowledge and tools to handle any situation that could arise in the field so you need Locksmith Dallas to make a new key for your car.

MY_2K_Z 12-19-2018 09:28 AM

Hey man this was 2.5 years ago I don't think he's still looking. Oh and he's in ct not tx

Red_Zone 12-19-2018 09:55 PM

Thief probably took the car... then got on the forums and realized the transmission may not last long enough to get to the chop shop... so he dumped the car... probably threw away the key.