LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

front speaker issue in mcss

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front speaker issue in mcss

tax refund came in so i purchased a new stereo i had my eyes on for a while. yesterday i do my install, and have appropriate harnesses and what not. i have good sound from what i thought was all the speakers. i was messing with the stereo and hit a rear speaker shut off mode. thats when i noticed my front speakers were performing very poorly. they sounded like a pair of headphones that were really loud. my speakers barely put out any sound. mainly just very high highs. and are distorting horribly. i tried all options thru the stereo with no luck. called tech support for my modules for the car, and they informed me that the speakers dont go through their module, and that the issue with be with the cars harness itself. i switched wiring from front to back, and the fronts still perform poorly when rears are hooked to front. so its not a stereo issue. so for my own piece of mind, i hooked up the stock deck again. and it does the same thing. rears sound awesome, fronts are still sounding like headphone speakers. i tried wiggling all the wires in the car harness searching for maybe a broken wire or bent terminal. but cant get anything more.
what else should i look at? i guess long term i could run my own wires to the door speakers, but that involves alot of labor for this issue. is this a common issue? is there something i can look for my car does not have the upgraded factory system with amp. so i can eliminate that as well.
any help or info would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What brand /model and ohm speaker did you use? Factory?

Last edited by rottonj; 03-24-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Still on factory speakers
Old 03-24-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible you crossed the +/- wires while installing the new harness?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

100% positive I didn't cross wires..Hard to cross when they're color coded. I'm able to unhook rear speakers and hooked to front, and still have the issue. I'm thinking the fronts are partially blown, or a harness issue with the car itself. I'm gonna try tackling swapping in a different set of speakers and see if it does anything different.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you solder or use a crimp connection to the new stereo harness?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I soldered and heat shrinked.

Update, just hooked up a new speaker to existing car wiring and it works. So somehow the factory speakers are partially blown. I don't know how that would've happened. But either way atleast I know my problem now.

Quick Reply: front speaker issue in mcss