LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2008 GXP left me stranded...got any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 GXP left me stranded...got any suggestions?

*This all happened while heading to vacation with the family this past week*

Backstory: I have always had only 1 of the two fans working for me, but both fuses were fine. When I sit in traffic, it would get a little warm, but nothing that would hurt the engine.

We are a little outside of Montgomery, Alabama and I noticed the car was getting hot and quickly after some stop and go traffic. Then the messages started displaying on the dash (turning a/c off). I pulled over and noticed both fuses are blown for the 30 amp Fan 1 and Fan 2 spots. No fans were blowing at this point, hence the overheating when at slow speeds.

Then, I let it cool off for 30 minutes or so and went to start the car and absolutely nothing happened. No lights or even a "click" from a bad battery. I then started wiggling the fuse box under the hood and battery wires and finally got a "hit" and started it.

This "no lights/no sound/no start" issue started at the same time of the overheating incident and has occurred every time I turn off the car it seems. I have to go under the hood, wiggle some wires until I hear the inside dinging with the door open, then I can start it.

Long story short, I overheated, got a rental car, and drove back home (500 miles) overnight to avoid traffic and stay at highway speeds to keep the car cool.

Anybody experienced this before? Obviously I'm assuming some wiring issue popped the fuses, but only the fan fuses? Could that impact the random lack of connection I'm getting?

I'm selling the car after getting it fixed. I have had nothing but problems with it.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0stang
*This all happened while heading to vacation with the family this past week*

Backstory: I have always had only 1 of the two fans working for me, but both fuses were fine. When I sit in traffic, it would get a little warm, but nothing that would hurt the engine.

We are a little outside of Montgomery, Alabama and I noticed the car was getting hot and quickly after some stop and go traffic. Then the messages started displaying on the dash (turning a/c off). I pulled over and noticed both fuses are blown for the 30 amp Fan 1 and Fan 2 spots. No fans were blowing at this point, hence the overheating when at slow speeds.

Then, I let it cool off for 30 minutes or so and went to start the car and absolutely nothing happened. No lights or even a "click" from a bad battery. I then started wiggling the fuse box under the hood and battery wires and finally got a "hit" and started it.

This "no lights/no sound/no start" issue started at the same time of the overheating incident and has occurred every time I turn off the car it seems. I have to go under the hood, wiggle some wires until I hear the inside dinging with the door open, then I can start it.

Long story short, I overheated, got a rental car, and drove back home (500 miles) overnight to avoid traffic and stay at highway speeds to keep the car cool.

Anybody experienced this before? Obviously I'm assuming some wiring issue popped the fuses, but only the fan fuses? Could that impact the random lack of connection I'm getting?

I'm selling the car after getting it fixed. I have had nothing but problems with it.
you try tightening the fuse block bolts yet
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a loose ground somewhere. Driving with one fan during the summer in a car whose engine compartment heat soaks regularly is asking for trouble also. The fan should be fixed, if you cant or the local shops cant figure it out send it to the dealer. Car is almost 10 years old, **** happens some are just worse than others.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...sounds like your fuse box may have a short in it or just may be loose. Maybe the connection on the battery is loose/corroded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 GXP left me stranded...got any suggestions?