LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Thrown Rod - Options/Routes to take

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 Thrown Rod - Options/Routes to take

I threw a rod in my LS4 somehow and I want to fix it but I'm new to the LS/V8 world and never dealt with anything like this. I plan on removing DOD, Upgrading the cam, Upgrading my transmission and Tuning it. What are my options? Bearings? Machine shop? What route would I have?
Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would seriously consider the condition and value of that car before you spend anything, to do what you want correctly will be costly if you are paying to have all the work done. Bare minimum would be turn the crank with new bearings and upgrade the oiling system as something probably failed if this happened at 124k. You make no mention of budget, but everything will add up quickly.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

You need to figure out why it threw the rod and what other damage it caused. A friend had a stuck open injector hydro lock cyl 4, snapped a rod and windowed the block. He was hoping to just replace the piston and rod before he found the hole in the block, now he is looking at an engine replacement.

Your issue could be deeper than just a broken rod. I would figure out what you have before putting together any plans to repair.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rottonj
I would seriously consider the condition and value of that car before you spend anything, to do what you want correctly will be costly if you are paying to have all the work done. Bare minimum would be turn the crank with new bearings and upgrade the oiling system as something probably failed if this happened at 124k. You make no mention of budget, but everything will add up quickly.
Oil pump is getting upgraded also. I think it was the purge canister on the gas tank that did this. The value of the car is 8k+ I'm still paying a note on i but I'm paying less than the value. Most of the parts I'm touching is getting either upgraded or replaced.

Originally Posted by fieroguru
You need to figure out why it threw the rod and what other damage it caused. A friend had a stuck open injector hydro lock cyl 4, snapped a rod and windowed the block. He was hoping to just replace the piston and rod before he found the hole in the block, now he is looking at an engine replacement.

Your issue could be deeper than just a broken rod. I would figure out what you have before putting together any plans to repair.
Most likely the Purge canister. I have a new one near me. It caused it to misfire after a fill up. It did it before a 3 hour drive
Old 08-13-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the value of the car needing a motor is much less than 8k, that's my point. It would be very easy to add 5 grand plus to fix this, and the value would still be around 8k. If you are someone who keeps a car for a long time , it will even out. Consider and spend wisely.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rottonj
Well the value of the car needing a motor is much less than 8k, that's my point. It would be very easy to add 5 grand plus to fix this, and the value would still be around 8k. If you are someone who keeps a car for a long time , it will even out. Consider and spend wisely.
I'm keeping it. Its not many Lacrosse Supers out here but anyway Im guessing thats not the most reasonable route then? So I'm better off getting a used motor at this point and starting from there. I was going to do a Cam, Intake etc anyway though. The Dod removal kit is just $300 and the cam is about $389, intake with thottle body is $300-350 and Installing the cam and springs and intake is pretty much a easy install for me as long as I got the torque wrench and specs and a few people that know what they're doing. I have a person that tunes for me so that isn't a issue either. My only issue is saving up for the parts quick enough for my liking lol. Doesn't everyone here install parts that's worth more than the car? lol
Old 08-14-2017, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice well do you have an engine lift and stand? I'm gonna assume you've got all the other stuff to do the job.
Might as well get out there and get to work. Just bag and tag everything. See what's going on in the engine at least. Pull the valve covers first and see if you can find a clue.
What makes you say purge canister?
I thought it was purge solenoid and charcoal canister..
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by severancej
Nice well do you have an engine lift and stand? I'm gonna assume you've got all the other stuff to do the job.
Might as well get out there and get to work. Just bag and tag everything. See what's going on in the engine at least. Pull the valve covers first and see if you can find a clue.
What makes you say purge canister?
I thought it was purge solenoid and charcoal canister..
I know it has something to do with the purge. I changed the one under the gas neck and the other on the engine. It was working fine until the check engine light came on. Everytime I pop the gas cap, it messes up the motor. If I add gas while the car is on, it idles weird but doesn't mess up as if I were to add gas while it was off. I happen to do it while the car was off and that's when it started to misfire pretty heavily and it wasn't the firs time it did it. I also pulled the valve covers to see where the knocking was, hoping it was a lifter and that wasn't the case so whenever I get that engine out, I'll be able to check the cylinder walls and the crank to see what the damage is.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Launching!

I'm getting a lifter knock from the afm ones and I dunno if I wanna upgrade lol...
Old 08-24-2017, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam, intake and headers while it's out. You will be safely above 400 by a good bit. Take the short block to a machine shop and have them put together the rotating assembly and you do the rest. I
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Cam, intake and headers while it's out. You will be safely above 400 by a good bit. Take the short block to a machine shop and have them put together the rotating assembly and you do the rest. I
My opinion he would need aftermarket heads to be over 400 HP, it wont be even close without it.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Rotton is right without heads or head work he'd be looking at 350 or less

Quick Reply: LS4 Thrown Rod - Options/Routes to take