LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

impala ss tire pressure sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default impala ss tire pressure sensor question

im tring to figure out how the tire pressure sensor system works (mine keeps breaking) do you all have any infor on where all the parts are located and how it all works together?

thanks!
-john
Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're not that accurate (false readings/warnings) mine went off a couple of times when it was new (less than 500mi) none since, my bro's Explorer (04) always says something is low, all over 35psi!, there's bands around the rim with a pressure sensor attached and a remote signal is sent to a module/comp. also my mother's Century 02'(thank god she got rid of that POS) used to do it and my father's TL a couple false alarms as well. Like getting aDVD player when they first came out, yeah it works but a year later they can do 10X what they did before (MP3's, Pic Disks, CDR's)
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

The tire pressure monitor system on the W-bodies doesn't use actual pressure sensors. The computer monitors the signals from the wheel sensors that the ABS, Traction control and Stabilitrak systems use, and if it detects that one wheel is rotating faster than the rest consistently, it will activate the tire pressure warning. A low tire means a smaller rolling diameter, which means a slightly faster rotation. If it keeps setting after you reset it, you should contact the dealer.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well **** So It Keeps Going Off Whats Wrong .. Mine Keeps Saying My Rr Tire Is Low And The Dam Dealer Cant Seem To Fix It !!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say the dealer is part of the problem then. If the tires are all at the same pressure, it's been reset, and still goes off, then there's definitely a problem. If the dealer can't figure it out, find a dealer who can.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS4 GXP
The tire pressure monitor system on the W-bodies doesn't use actual pressure sensors. The computer monitors the signals from the wheel sensors that the ABS, Traction control and Stabilitrak systems use, and if it detects that one wheel is rotating faster than the rest consistently, it will activate the tire pressure warning. A low tire means a smaller rolling diameter, which means a slightly faster rotation. If it keeps setting after you reset it, you should contact the dealer.
This is true on the older W bodies.The new Impala's,Monte's use the same system like a C6 Vette.Each wheel uses a pressure sensor.Each sensor uses radio frequencies that communicate with the BCM.This system is also used on the Tahoes,Escalades,Yukon's etc.I think in 2007 tire pressure monitor systems will be required on all new vehicles sold in the US.GM has a special tire monitoring tool which is needed to program new sensors/calibrate after a rotate.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

the new cars do use the sensors, they're reset by entering the relearn mode(holding the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob)and then learning the sensors, u can do this two ways. first is to use the gm hand held tim tool, which u wont have or u can decrease the pressures in the tires starting at the lf and working clockwise, lowinging the pressure in each tire until you hear the car honk. do this on all 4 tires. oh yeah when u hold the key fob buttons down veh must be in run and you will hear it honk

Quick Reply: impala ss tire pressure sensor question