LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

making a 2006 LS4 Monte Carlo rear wheel drive..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman
I think that solstice is rear drive, but it has a V6. maybe you could get one of those a stick a v8 in it. that would be cool and prolly alot easier.
The Pontiac Solstice is rwd, but it doesn't have a V-6. It has a 177 hp 2.4 liter I-4.

The 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP has a 2.0 liter dual-scroll turbocharged I-4 with direct injection and other performance parts.

press release:

The heart of the Solstice GXP is the Ecotec 2.0-liter turbo engine, GM’s first direct injection offering in North America . It produces 260 horsepower (194 kw) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm), * making it GM’s highest specific output engine ever, at 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement (130 hp / 97 kw per liter), and the most powerful production engine in the Ecotec family.

*SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) certification pending. A new voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee was approved March 31, 2005. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing.

check the link

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/ev...iac/index.html

Dual-scroll means that the exhaust manifold and turbine housing have two pathways for exhaust to flow. This allows the exhaust gases from the two cylinders that fire won't be mixed with the other two that aren't fired.

You can see the split in the turbine housing below.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 PM
B T
Launching!

Dual-scroll means that the exhaust manifold and turbine housing have two pathways for exhaust to flow. This allows the exhaust gases from the two cylinders that fire won't be mixed with the other two that aren't fired.

>>>>>>>

Any chance you have a link for that information?

This is what I found on it.
>>>>>>>
A dual-scroll turbocharger with a lightweight turbine provides nearly instant power, and an air-to-air intercooling system boosts the turbo’s performance by reducing inlet temperatures. Dual cam phasing complements the turbocharging system by optimizing valve timing at lower rpm for best turbo response and quick access to engine torque.

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/po...lsticegxp.html

I didn't see and info on misc. cylinder deactivation.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B T

>>>>>>>

Any chance you have a link for that information?

This is what I found on it.
>>>>>>>
A dual-scroll turbocharger with a lightweight turbine provides nearly instant power, and an air-to-air intercooling system boosts the turbo’s performance by reducing inlet temperatures. Dual cam phasing complements the turbocharging system by optimizing valve timing at lower rpm for best turbo response and quick access to engine torque.

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/po...lsticegxp.html

I didn't see and info on misc. cylinder deactivation.
What i believe he's saying is that the exhaust is separated. since say cylinders 1 and 3 fire at the same time (or almost the same) and 2 and 4 then those 2 cylinders have to fill the exhaust pipe for all 4 cylinders. In this system the exhaust between the head and the turbo is sectioned. 1 and 3 are in the same section and 2 and 4 in another. that should in theory make quite a bit more pressure and i'm guessing more consistant pressure which should spool the turbo quite a bit faster. atleast thats my take on things.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Teching In

About a rear wheel drive Monte Carlo, it has already been done to an older 1995 Monte Carlo. I am going to post the link but you guys have prolly already have seen this, but I still think it is badass. So if this can be done, I think a new body style can be done.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/42647/
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

i think a rear drive platform on the new bodies would be badass dude someones sig says they ran mid 13's stock **** i didnt know they were that fast.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

oh btw does anyone have any performance specs on that turbocharged soltice now thats the kinda engine that was made for that car. and it is true that mallet has slapped an ls2 up in that bastard crazily the thing only ran mid twelves basically stock performance as a stock vette from which the engine originally came from.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just don't think that a FWD car (from GM) would do very well in the quarter mile. I would think that the wieght factor of the engine, the relatively GM'y suspension, and the V8 would cause a hell of a lot of torque steer.

To be honest though I am not an expert on the quarter mile FWD or RWD etc. We checked out a 400 hp RSX though and when the thing changed gears it jumped towards the curb. It actually scared the crap out of my brother in law.

It is just that when you see a 400 hp RX7 at the track it with a serious driver it tends to embarass the American crowd (when they have similiar numbers). The wieght of the rotary is closer to a turbo 4's FWD wieght (though 60,000 miles and an engine rebuild on the rotary is just stupid plus the fuel economy).

I would just like to see how well a serious (new model) FWD Monte Carlo can perform at the track. A 5.7 liter LSwhatevertheynumberedit sounds nice in the Monte but I've seen 400 hp Impala's only drag there fat @ss in the low 14's with a professional driver.

Imagine how that would get better with a better suspension set-up (4128 lbs works against it).
Old 01-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

this has been discussed for eon's over on the gtp boards. Truth of the matter is is the cost isn't worth it.

Not to mention us high power gtp's have no problem running 1.5's and low 1.6's. there are ton of mods for handling and racing these cars as they are the same basic car since 1995 for the monte and lumina back then, supercharged gtp's and gs showed up in 97 and 98 along with the intrigue. needless to say the gxp and ss cars are the wbody were all familar with since the mid 90's. I've been racing these cars since 99 and its not hard to hook them.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
I just don't think that a FWD car (from GM) would do very well in the quarter mile. I would think that the wieght factor of the engine, the relatively GM'y suspension, and the V8 would cause a hell of a lot of torque steer.

To be honest though I am not an expert on the quarter mile FWD or RWD etc. We checked out a 400 hp RSX though and when the thing changed gears it jumped towards the curb. It actually scared the crap out of my brother in law.

It is just that when you see a 400 hp RX7 at the track it with a serious driver it tends to embarass the American crowd (when they have similiar numbers). The wieght of the rotary is closer to a turbo 4's FWD wieght (though 60,000 miles and an engine rebuild on the rotary is just stupid plus the fuel economy).

I would just like to see how well a serious (new model) FWD Monte Carlo can perform at the track. A 5.7 liter LSwhatevertheynumberedit sounds nice in the Monte but I've seen 400 hp Impala's only drag there fat @ss in the low 14's with a professional driver.

Imagine how that would get better with a better suspension set-up (4128 lbs works against it).

these cars run 14's cause they suffer from what i call the gto syndrome. They have a **** load of torque management in place and electronic throttle stuff holding them back. There doing everything possible to try and keep the stock form 4t65e. However there are so many upgraded parts for the 4t65e it isn't even funny, gear changes, hardened input and out put shafts, limited slip diffs, 1 inch drive chains and so on. Us gtp guys have been racing these car forever now. We have 6 cylinder cars in the 9's all the way to bolt on cars running low 13's - high 12's.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Would it be possible to put an engine and everything in the back, and just leave the front of the car alone?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
oh btw does anyone have any performance specs on that turbocharged soltice now thats the kinda engine that was made for that car. and it is true that mallet has slapped an ls2 up in that bastard crazily the thing only ran mid twelves basically stock performance as a stock vette from which the engine originally came from.
http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

As far as the thead topic goes - why bother. Buy a rwd and be done. Spend your hard earned cash on some extra beer. A super fast fwd is something I want a friend of mine to own. That why I can know all about it, experience it, yet not have to pour tons of money into it gettin over all the obsticles of fwd. I'll stick with rwd.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Default 06+rwd monte

hi guys im new to the forum an i just recently saw this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EseMVIE5RKc
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your to late, https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...take-look.html
Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

this thread is 3 years old lol

Quick Reply: making a 2006 LS4 Monte Carlo rear wheel drive..