LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LS4 Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/)
-   -   Information on the LS4, DOD, and the 4T65E-HD (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/556077-information-ls4-dod-4t65e-hd.html)

jsmith309 09-10-2013 02:28 PM

In my opinion the AFM was a good idea. Terrible idea if you got some miles on the engine. My GXP has 146,000 miles and after an extended amount of time in V4 mode it puffs out a lot of smoke, then clears up after about 3 seconds. I obviously have leaking oil in the shut off cylinders..

But it still runs great and has plenty of power.

toxshox 09-10-2013 03:21 PM

Well I turned off the DOD mode and the wife says the car gets better mpg now lol IDK why but put on a magnaflow system and after it's first new oil change no oil was used at all and car has little over a 100k on it now before it would use a quart of oil in about 2300 miles I had a catch can on it before and the thing was alway full now it went a full 3000 miles and just a dribble in it. So I'm happy got it working. There was a ticking sound it was making earlier on not sure it's the lifters or rockers and pushrods any ideas on what would make that sound, it cleared up with some additive i put in on my oil change but wondering what part is wearing out?

if anyone is interested in the stock muffler after the cat I have that but to big to ship and I also have the bullet looking muffler that goes right after the cat from the magnaflow system left i didn't use it at all i just made my own flange and straight pipe. Give the car a little more throaty sound.

scorpion82 12-30-2013 03:17 PM

Can you disable it on an 07 Monte Carlo. I asked everybody I know and they say you can't. My buddy has the 08 Impala and he states after 06 you can't access that option in any turner.

92builtbird 12-30-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by scorpion82 (Post 17916643)
Can you disable it on an 07 Monte Carlo. I asked everybody I know and they say you can't. My buddy has the 08 Impala and he states after 06 you can't access that option in any turner.

If I'm not mistaken, you can tune out DOD on any ls4 model, no matter the year.
Someone else can chime in though if I'm wrong.

91parkave 12-30-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by scorpion82 (Post 17916643)

for the 3800 guys thats true, but LS4 platforms no matter the year can be tuned. and yes you can disable via tune

scorpion82 12-30-2013 07:45 PM

Thanks I can't wait to order me a diablo Trinity tuner and disable it. Tired of getting crappy mgh.

fieroguru 12-31-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by scorpion82 (Post 17917213)
Thanks I can't wait to order me a diablo Trinity tuner and disable it. Tired of getting crappy mgh.

You can unplug the vacuum sensor on the brake booster and that will keep DoD disabled (and set a DTC), but doing so would allow you to test the performance/economy w/o DoD working.

scorpion82 12-31-2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 91parkave (Post 17916863)
for the 3800 guys thats true, but LS4 platforms no matter the year can be tuned. and yes you can disable via tune

Both of our cars have the ss package on them. The only difference is that his is the 08 Impala. They stop producing the 3800 platform in 2005.

Bigwayner07 02-28-2014 02:06 PM

What's the best type of tranny filter? I'm planning on dropping the pan and want to get a good filter.

PhantaZm 03-27-2014 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by toxshox (Post 17310124)
Any ideas if lets say something wasn't working right if when DOD is enabled it caused the car to use oil or extra crank case pressure?

My wife's 06 GXP at first seems to be thirsty for oil cause around 2000 to 2500 it wants another quart. I have a catch can on the system and it fills up pretty fast even when it's just vented out. It doesn't hold a lot but I'd say 600 miles it's just like 3/4 full.

I'm going to disable the DOD first see if that makes any changes if that doesn't help my choices might be checking cylinders, but it is a bit odd doesn't smoke like using oil at all, Just wondering where all this oil going, lol

Any ideas are appreciated.

I've been wondering what has been causing intermittent billowing of exhaust smoke when I've been holding a gear in manual mode around 3000rpm and then slightly give throttle. It only does it once in awhile, not every time, and it only lasts for a couple of seconds. With my exhaust cutout open, it sounds like some flap/valve is opening, and that's when the giant cloud of smoke chokes out the cars behind me. Let off the gas, and you can hear the flap/valve/whatever close again.

I had a previous smoking issue at idle and low speeds, but relocation of the oil drain plug in the turbo kit resolved it. A leak-down test showed no significant values.

So now I don't know if it's turbo related or DoD. My tuner previously had DoD disabled but I wanted it back. I guess I can try disabling the DoD again and see if the smoking goes away.

85-308 11-30-2014 05:30 PM

Nice. Do you have the source? Maybe posting it would be of interest, too.

91parkave 11-30-2014 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 85-308 (Post 18550427)
Nice. Do you have the source? Maybe posting it would be of interest, too.

This is all straight from GM no second hand info here

CrimsonGXP 12-09-2014 10:20 PM

I think this deserves to be a sticky!

Frosty5 12-23-2014 01:38 AM

Looking for advice, proud owner of LS1s modified and stock, considering a 06 GXP 155k for around $5,000- questioning the DoD and engine vs trans wear, any further info or advice appreciated.

Sint3k 12-24-2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Frosty5 (Post 18585321)
Looking for advice, proud owner of LS1s modified and stock, considering a 06 GXP 155k for around $5,000- questioning the DoD and engine vs trans wear, any further info or advice appreciated.

I Would repost this as a new thread as not many people look at the sticky , but this question was just anwsered a few post ago

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ss-impala.html

Read that thread for the most part everything applies

Rob Murdoch 08-21-2015 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP (Post 5329458)
Amen to that... I still haven't figured out where the belt tensioner is. I know it is hydraulic instead of spring loaded like most. I figure its either the small pulley in between the crankshaft and water pump pulley or the small pulley over to the top left of the crankshaft pulley.

Yeah the DOD stays on a lot more around 65. Its weird how the wind drag on the car increases so much past 72-73 mph.

A forewarning to anyone who needs an LS4 belt tensioner replaced; it is a GM-only part, and if memory serves me, was almost $600 for the tensioner alone. I had an intermittent belt squeal I couldn't diagnose (ended up being the REAR bearing in the alternator), and during the alternator replacement, the local wrenches found the aluminum mounting bracket which is part of the tensioner assembly was cracked. Oh, and if you think it was broken DURING the alternator R&R, I looked, and it showed certain signs of road dirt and engine gunk in between the cracked pieces, so it had been cracked for some time. Local wrench didn't make a dime on that job; he was sick that the tensioner cost that much, and basically halved the labor costs so my bill came in just over 1 grand. I dropped beer and pizza off for the guys the next Friday afternoon.

rottonj 08-21-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Murdoch (Post 18935854)
A forewarning to anyone who needs an LS4 belt tensioner replaced; it is a GM-only part, and if memory serves me, was almost $600 for the tensioner alone. I had an intermittent belt squeal I couldn't diagnose (ended up being the REAR bearing in the alternator), and during the alternator replacement, the local wrenches found the aluminum mounting bracket which is part of the tensioner assembly was cracked. Oh, and if you think it was broken DURING the alternator R&R, I looked, and it showed certain signs of road dirt and engine gunk in between the cracked pieces, so it had been cracked for some time. Local wrench didn't make a dime on that job; he was sick that the tensioner cost that much, and basically halved the labor costs so my bill came in just over 1 grand. I dropped beer and pizza off for the guys the next Friday afternoon.

You have to look around a little for pricing, that belt tensioner can be had from a few sources. Amazon seems to be one of the cheapest.

Rob Murdoch 08-23-2015 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by rottonj (Post 18935861)
You have to look around a little for pricing, that belt tensioner can be had from a few sources. Amazon seems to be one of the cheapest.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 12596250 GM Original Equipment Drive Belt Tensioner: Automotive

Hopefully I'll not need to replace it again! At the time it was my daily driver, and if I recall it was near Christmas, so my Harley wasn't a good option in upstate NY.

Paco Pacheco 12-25-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP (Post 5329458)
Amen to that... I still haven't figured out where the belt tensioner is. I know it is hydraulic instead of spring loaded like most. I figure its either the small pulley in between the crankshaft and water pump pulley or the small pulley over to the top left of the crankshaft pulley.

Yeah the DOD stays on a lot more around 65. Its weird how the wind drag on the car increases so much past 72-73 mph.

You dont need to use the tensioner to replace the belt, its more a pain in the ass! Just use your belt off your pants and slip off and on the serpentine belt off the cam pulley. Simple and alot faster!!

nofomo 12-26-2015 09:39 AM

DOD @ Belt

Have over100k on an 07 ss the dod has been no trouble have to look at the display to see it switch . It motors along in 4 cyl. at 75-80 just fine with good mpg 27-30 if road is flat .I tend to drive it a tad on the fast side so the city& hgwy. avg. is usually 19-22. And your right about the belt it can be fun .There is a tool for it at Pep Boys. Now if the trans would work as good as the dod I would be a happier motorist.