LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablosport Predators...time to update!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablosport Predators...time to update!

A new revision, 8r02 has been released for the U7191. This revision addresses the new DOD tunes, fan speed control, and allows the user to use our new CMR DAT viewer 3.0, which is just plain awesome. The viewer is not up on the web yet...if anyone is interested, please PM me for details and I can email you the new viewer.
Stay tuned!
Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Is there a regular gas tune included as well???
Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Cool. I will get one for Xmas gift from my wife. Cannot wait, Mike!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Teching In

What differences can we expect from the Diablo tune vs the 91 octane tune and with DOD and not?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bigpritch
What differences can we expect from the Diablo tune vs the 91 octane tune and with DOD and not?
The non DOD tunes are designed for day to day drivig, with max increases as seen in graphs posted in another thread, but WITHOUT ANY DOD ISSUES. The standard Predator tune still has a slight DOD engagement issue, but has more TM removed, providing for a real nice WOT, track night type of tune. The 91 octane tunes are designed for people in parts of the country where 93 is not available, as the standard tunes are designed for 93.
Hope this answers your questions, and check out the new DAT viewer.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what about my 2007. . . . Get working on that one
Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
what about my 2007. . . . Get working on that one
I thought their PCM's were bulletproof and tunes weren't going to be an option?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99sprayjunkie
The non DOD tunes are designed for day to day drivig, with max increases as seen in graphs posted in another thread, but WITHOUT ANY DOD ISSUES. The standard Predator tune still has a slight DOD engagement issue, but has more TM removed, providing for a real nice WOT, track night type of tune. The 91 octane tunes are designed for people in parts of the country where 93 is not available, as the standard tunes are designed for 93.
Hope this answers your questions, and check out the new DAT viewer.

Hey y'all;
For those wondering what the actual differences are between the new tunes in the R802 revision, below I have cut and pasted an email that I received from Johan at Diablo asking him to explain the differences. (He's the tech at Diablo that actually makes the tunes for those of you who may not know who he is)

"The Diablo tune with DoD off is the stronger ones out of the two as I
can remove more torque management which I can not do while DoD is active,
thus the surge."

Sincerely:
Johan Mangs

So as Johan (and Mike) tells me, both Diablo tunes will be stronger than than both of the 91 octane tunes, obviously b/c the 91 tunes are using 91 octane gas and the Diablo tunes are designed for 93 octane fuel; higher octane better power. But between the DOD to non DOD tunes, Johan is singing a bit different tune. He is saying the non DOD will be the strongest tunes, as he mentioned above, since more torque mgmt can be taken out of those compaired to the ones with the DOD still active. In his quote above when he says the Diablo tune with DOD off is the stronger one out of the two, he is answering my question to him as to which of the tunes is stronger; the straight Diablo tune with DOD or the one without. So if ur looking for the best all-out performance and power for track nite or out looking to make most anything that rolls up next to you look silly, at least as Johan says, use the Diablo tune DOD off.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I thought their PCM's were bulletproof and tunes weren't going to be an option?
Anything can be broken
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Anything can be broken
Only time and money needed!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok all, please bear with me, this is long... I have included quotes below from throughout this thread from sprayjunkie, boba17, and boba17's quote from Johan... I can't tell what is what - some things sound like they contradict themselves, or at best confuse the 2 new tunes -- so when reading my questions below, see if you can figure it out based on the items I've quoted and be able to answer my questions... Thanks!

sprayjunkie -- We are planning to release a new revision which will give you the option of two tunes.

One will be called WOT performance, which will be similar to the current tune, with all the power, still with a slight DOD issue, for racing, performance driving scenarios. The idea behind the WOT performance tune is to use it at the track, or during spirited driving.

The second will be a street tune, with no DOD issue, with a slight loss of power from the WOT tune, yet still a solid improvement over what is out there now(and over stock). The street tune will have NO DOD issues. Boba17 is running our latest 'street tune' and has reported no issues.

boba17 -- I'm currently running a 'Street Tune' developed by Johan at Diablo. I must say, it's the Fastest tune to date for my car. My son drove the drove the car with my observations. The car was driven in Drive at a 5 mph roll, very little tire spin, but a Tremendous lurch, and the low end torque was amazing, the speedometer went from 20 to 90mph, in no time at all.
My 'Street Tune' does Not use the DOD, nor do i want it! I have another 'Tune' file which has the DOD enabled and works just fine. My 'Street Tune' from Johan has more 'Top End Power'.

I have Two (2) tunes, one which had the DOD disabled, and is by far the Fastest tune. The second tune is with the DOD enabled, with no surging taking place, but not as fast due to Top End Power not programmed in the software.

sprayjunkie -- The non DOD tunes are designed for day to day drivig, with max increases as seen in graphs posted in another thread, but WITHOUT ANY DOD ISSUES.

The standard Predator tune still has a slight DOD engagement issue, but has more TM removed, providing for a real nice WOT, track night type of tune. The 91 octane tunes are designed for people in parts of the country where 93 is not available, as the standard tunes are designed for 93.

Johan -- "The Diablo tune with DoD off is the stronger ones out of the two as I can remove more torque management which I can not do while DoD is active, thus the surge."

boba17 -- So as Johan (and Mike) tells me, both Diablo tunes will be stronger than than both of the 91 octane tunes, obviously b/c the 91 tunes are using 91 octane gas and the Diablo tunes are designed for 93 octane fuel; higher octane better power. But between the DOD to non DOD tunes, Johan is singing a bit different tune. He is saying the non DOD will be the strongest tunes, as he mentioned above, since more torque mgmt can be taken out of those compaired to the ones with the DOD still active. In his quote above when he says the Diablo tune with DOD off is the stronger one out of the two, he is answering my question to him as to which of the tunes is stronger; the straight Diablo tune with DOD or the one without. So if ur looking for the best all-out performance and power for track nite or out looking to make most anything that rolls up next to you look silly, at least as Johan says, use the Diablo tune DOD off.
Now...

from boba17 - "I have Two (2) tunes, one which had the DOD disabled, and is by far the Fastest tune." so, which one is this, the WOT Performance tune or the street tune?

The second tune is with the DOD enabled, with no surging taking place, but not as fast due to Top End Power not programmed in the software. so, which one is this, the WOT Performance tune or the street tune?

Judging from Johan's response, it sounds like the "street tune" is the one with the DOD still enabled and with the surge... and the "WOT Performance Tune" is the one with DOD disabled, since he said it's the stronger one and he can remove more torque management since the DOD is disabled - cuz he can't while it's active.

And sprayjunkie says that the non-DOD tune (street tune?) is for day-to-day driving with no DOD issues - and slight loss of power from the WOT Performance tune... and that the WOT Performance tune is for track and still has DOD and the surge issue.

So, with that and Johan's response - is Johan actually saying that the street tune is stronger than the WOT Performance tune??

Does the street tune have DOD disabled??

And as boba17 says: "So if ur looking for the best all-out performance and power for track nite or out looking to make most anything that rolls up next to you look silly, at least as Johan says, use the Diablo tune DOD off."

According to all the other info provided, the street tune is the one with DOD turned off - because it states that the WOT Performance tune still has DOD enabled/issues.

What is what here??

So...

...the "street tune" has DOD totally disabled, and is for 93 octane, and it is the "non-DOD" tune that is better for daily driving??

...the "WOT Performance" tune has DOD enabled, but with the slight surge issue, and is for 93 octane, and it is the "standard Predator tune" that is better for track/spirited/aggressive driving??

From the initial reports, it sounded like the WOT Performance tune was the one that had DOD totally disabled, hence they were able to get rid of more torque management - so better for the track.... and the "street tune" was the one that still had DOD enabled, but the surging issue was fixed.

HELP!!

Thanks for going through all this - any and all info is GREATLY appreciated!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

LOL we need to make them clear! LOL

WOT is supposed to be DOD-taken off and fastest.
Street is supposed to be slight power down and DOD is still on, but no surge.

Am I correct?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

why in the hell are you getting rid of dod anyways? it doesn't affect WOT as it is.

::shrugs::
Old 11-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, lots of versions. IMO Diablo needs to get some PCM editing software that can edit the TCM and its requested torque reduction in shifts (not too good to remove more than 33-50% max either, tranny slips a bit immediately post shift beyond that). Kinda like using an axe to clip your toenails with editing the ECM TM and goofing up things like DOD transitions in the process. I am wondering, with these tunes is there any effect on traction control as well?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yuimyt
LOL we need to make them clear! LOL

WOT is supposed to be DOD-taken off and fastest.
Street is supposed to be slight power down and DOD is still on, but no surge.

Am I correct?
Yes, you are correct. I think what is confusing most people is that there have been three revisions of the 7191 handheld we have and all three have had different names for the tunes contained in each revision. So I think we need to do a little overview of the revisions and the tunes (and thier names) that came with each revision.

R99 RevisionR99 Revision :

This was the first revision that came with the Predator when the 7191 was first available. It came with three tunes. All hav the DOD active and all had the DOD surge problem. The names of these first tunes were:

-Diablo tune
-91 Octane tune
-Factory HP tune

8r01 Revision[/B]R801 Revision:

This was the second revision that first tried to coimbat the "DOD surge" issue. There was two tunes that came with this revision and many of us had sent in a copy of out factory setting to Johan so he could send back to us the two new tunes for us to try B4 they would be available in the new revision. THe names of these tunes were:

-"Street Tune" This one had the DOD active and had little to no DOD surge issues.

-"WOT Tune" This was the more powerful of the two as it had more of the TM removed than the "Street Tune" and this one had no DOD functionality at all.

8r08 Revision8r02 Revision:

This is the current revision that is out now and hence has new names to the tunes, and I think this is where people are getting confused. You can pertty much throw the terms "WOT tune" and "street tune" out the window as they really aren't prevelant anymore. For those of you who have downloaded the new 8r02 revision, you will find these 5 tunes in there now:

-Diablo Tune
-Diablo Tune No DOD
-91 Oct Tune
-91 Oct Tune No DOD
-Factory HP Tune

The explaination of the differences in these tunes, coming right from Johan at Diablo, is this. The tunes with the DOD not working are a more powerful than their counterpart tunes that have the DOD working as more TM has been removed. (So the Diablo No DOD tune will be stronger than the straight Diablo tune, and the 91 Oct No DOD will be stronger than the straight 91 Oct tune). Johan (and Mike) have both told me that the Diablo tunes will be the stronger of the tunes compaired to the 91 Oct Tunes as the Diablo Tunes are designed to work with 92 and up octane fuel and the 91 Oct Tunes are, of course, ment to be used with 91 octane fuel for people that don't have the higher octane fuel available to them in their area. So, fuel 101 says that the higher the octane fuel you use, usually the more power your engine can produce. So, for those of you wondering, the Diablo Tune No DOD will be the strongest of all the tunes that are available in the new 8r02 revision, that is coming straight from Johan.

I have only had a chance to drive the 91 Oct Tunes so far (I filled up with 91 fuel the morning the new revision came out, so I can't use the Diablo tunes until I fill up with 93 and I'm gone on my work rotation and won't be back for a couple of weeks), but both the 91's feel as strong if not a bit stouter than the 8r01 tunes and the 91 with the DOD still active I feel no surge at all. Great job guys!!! I can't wait to get home to try the Diablo Tunes.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

soooooooooo, you're turning off the dod function to get rid of more trq mngmt?
:shrugs: okie dokie
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So...

In comparison to the original names - the "Diablo Tune" is the "WOT Performance Tune" with the slight DOD issue??

And the "Diablo Tune No DOD" is the "street tune" with less performance than the WOT Performance Tune (but still a lot better than stock) but with DOD disabled and no DOD issues??

or is it vice-versa?? WOT Performance tune is the Diablo no DOD tune, and the street tune is the Diablo Tune with the slight DOD issue still??

Which one is better for day-to-day driving?? Is there still any DOD issue with any of the tunes, or has it been fixed completely??

Is there no torque management left in at all?? What are the consequences we'll face with having no torque management left in?? Are we gonna run over our own trannies after a while???

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 11-03-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Launching!

lol

Diablo needs to chill out on removing so much torque management. The car runs better with a little bit left in.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK guys, maybe I was a bit confused....here's the deal.
No DOD is the WOT tune, for maximum performance and acceleration.
DOD enabled is the STREET tune for best cruising/mileage. You should have no DOD surge issues while using this tune, while providing power and torque gains throughout the entire RPM range that will leave you hunting drag radials.
We do not remove as much TM as some of you may think as well. Noone will be dropping trannies using either of these tunes!
Let me know if you guys have any more questions.
BTW, have any of you guys used the new DAT viewer we have released?
This thing rocks!
Thanks
Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I don't have a Predator yet, but I installed the viewer last night and played around with the sample files it comes with... it's pretty slick!!

and thanks for clearing up the "what tune is what" issue!!

Quick Reply: Diablosport Predators...time to update!