LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impy SS exhaust piping size

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, my last post seems to be gone, probably show up as a double after I do this one.

ok, got 'em on, very, very pleased. The 'before' video seems to have been erased by someone who, err... has no clue what they are doing with the camera. When the cameraman figures out how to not delete files, there will be an after. I went with Heartthrob Mufflers (made in Minnesota), 2.25" and reused the stock tips.

5-1/2" x 11" Oval (14" long body, 19" long overall) 2-1/4" Inlet (Offset); 2-1/4" Outlet (Center) #ZX283031 thru JC Whitney. They butchered up my order and I got both for about $75 total. Normal price is $ 62 something each, but they gave me one free and upgraded my shipping on them for the second for my trouble.

First impressions is a deeper tone than stock, a little higher toned but crisper than the Magnaflow's. Very slight over-run rasp on an unloaded rev (at whatever RPM the Predator allows in park). Sound is so subjective, so take it for what it is worth, but I felt it is about twice as loud as stock at idle and 25% louder at cruise, but with a noticeably lower, (not as 'tinny') than the stock tone. Almost dead silent at cruise inside. If I strain, I can hear it switch into DOD-4, but it is not objectionable at all. Entire exhaust shop stopped work when they fired it and it got the nods of approval. They also seemed to find a reason to keep the hood up for a time to inspect the little front-driving 8. It was exactly what I hoped. A little more personality and still disapears when I do the mundane highway drive.

Out to fuss with camera and then I will be looking for help on uploading the file someplace.

Have the file on my computer .AVI unfortunately at start up the sound level was automatically cut by the camera because it was too loud. The start up is the best part, but if anyone wants to give a listen to the rest of it which came out fine, I can email it or, if someone wants to post it for me, that would be fine as well.

edit below: I seem to have muddled through creating a YouTube account and uploading it. Will post a link when it is all processed.
start up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9uSvsoAts

Cruise: radio is on at 1/4 volume (to get a feel for how loud it is), moderate/heavy throttle at start, cruise, throttle blip in gear, forced downshift to 2nd and a medium acceleration at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1od-pWGA_Dc

Last edited by 06 SS; 05-19-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds good, man...nice choice. For comparison, here's my startup vid:

Originally Posted by scarlett
I have the hogan downpipe with Magnaflow high flow cat and Magnaflow cat back exhaust and I love it. Quiet while you are driving and then when you stomp on it heads role looking at the car (2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP)
Any codes with the Hogan & MF cat? Any other related issues? Did you install it pre- or post-catback install? Can you really tell a difference?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2006 Impala SS and I just switched from the Y back to 2.5 with Flow master muffler it was good. But when I got my 07 GXP and I put on the Magna Flow cat back from the resonator way bigger difference adding the hogan down pipe i got alot more mid and top end and no codes so far, I have the down pipe with the high flow cat. I installed the hogan downpipe after I put the exhaust on.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe the stock D/P isn't restrictive, I need to run down to ZZP and see if they can't knock a V8 one out for me.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the factory down pipe is way different, even the factory exhaust is not full 2.5 take it off and then compare it to the magna flow big difference

Quick Reply: Impy SS exhaust piping size