LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cat back for GXP

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back for GXP

It looks like the Magnaflow cat back is available for you GXP guys. Just thought I would let you guys know.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

waaste of money. just throw on some mufflers
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Is it? I'm thinking about getting one. I might just get the downpipe and new mufflers though.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone thought of putting on a bullit type straight through muffler in line after the resonator (or instead of the resonator) and just eliminated the rear mufflers? Besides who wants heavy mufflers hanging back there any way.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Has anyone thought of putting on a bullit type straight through muffler in line after the resonator (or instead of the resonator) and just eliminated the rear mufflers? Besides who wants heavy mufflers hanging back there any way.
I was thinking of going this route. It would be nice if someone has done this already and can tell how it sounds.
Tate
Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a catless down pipe, so I'm sure it would be loud enough, but maybe too loud. SLP makes that loud mouth muffler for the f bodies, but I don't know how that even sounds. I looked at summit there are a lot of mufflers to choose from (2.5 in/out). I also thought about going 3 inches all the way back to the split (of course ther would be no more resinator then). I already have 3 inches to the back flange of the down pipe, so just 2 more 3 inch flanges and some pipe...I would have then just one 3 inch in/out straight muffler quieting things down, that may be a little loud. Anyway, back to reality, although my car says SS all over it, it's still kind of a sleeper and I like it that way, but I love the sound of a V8. So the exhaust is a difficult decision for me at this time.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Well, I had bought this kit a few months ago. It got delivered (finally) about a week ago or so.

Finally got a chance to put it on this weekend.

Made a big difference in volume. SOTP dyno says it pulls harder. I am still learning how to tune with the HPT, so I have not done anything on that end.

I bought my GXP in Dec '05. I live pretty close to work, so I have less than 6500 miles on the car. I will say the old exhaust was not in the best shape (i.e. rust spots, etc). The MF kit I got was stainless steel. It came with a smaller resonator as well. I paid less than $500 for mine - shipped, so I don't consider it a waste of money.

Interior drone is not really noticable in cruise mode. Once you step on the gas though, it is most definitely louder.

Kit went together like a breeze. Once you actually get the car in the air, it was easy. I will say one thing though. The old bolts that bolt the resonator to the cat do NOT come out. That being said, make sure you have a couple of 2" bolts and nuts to use before you take your exhaust apart.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nighthand
Interior drone is not really noticable in cruise mode. Once you step on the gas though, it is most definitely louder.
How about the interior noise when you cruise long slight uphill?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Until you bring it over 3.5k, it does not sound any different really. If you do it slowly, it is pretty quiet. Stepping on it though, to raise the RPMs quickly, definitely makes it stand out.

Starting it is definitely louder though. The idle sounds awesome. Nice deep rumble.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

You know we wish we could do side-by-side comparison with flowmaster and magnaflow.

I bet you are far-away from me.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Only about 2500 miles... I am in Virginia.

I will try to get a recording of it as soon as I can. Definitely love the sound.

As soon as I figure out WTF I am doing with this HP Tuner and what to look for, I will start tuning it more.

I have the shift kit, trans cooler, pushrods, springs, and rollers sitting in a big box. I have the funds set aside for the cam as well. I ordered my wideband gauge and sensor from the group buy here on LS1Tech. I would like to get gauges to monitor oil pressure and trans temp as well (I know we have it on our DIC, but would prefer to have it up).

Now I have to plan for my turbo kit