LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

differential score protection annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential score protection annoyances

I know it's there to protect our shafts...but is there a way to tune it out? And if there is a way to tune it out, what kind of hop ups can be done to prevent from shearing the shafts? It's just really annoying that I can't rip through a corner without that diff protection kicking in.

Do other FWD cars have this too? How do they deal with it? I don't remember my '05 L67 having this behavior. I really think I just need a RWD car. heh

Anyone else have any strategies to get through a corner as quickly as possible without the protection kicking in? Maybe some kind of throttle\steering strategies...

PS:Sorry for all the rants today...I'm just frustrated with this car. I'm sure a few more rant threads are on their way soon.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

The can tune from the diablo tuner gets rid of a lot of it.Don't know if when the tcm updates come if we will be able to get rid of all of it.Putting down all that power while turning can snap a shaft esp. in a tight turn.You can have shafts made that are stronger.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's definately there for your protection. After throwing the pinion bearing out of my last 3800 transmission (long story from when I was 16) I won't be beating my FWD through corners too hard anymore. You can take corners fast, just don't accelerate hard through them, these are so torquey that one wheel will spin ungodly faster than the other. .. KABOOOOOM
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn traction control back on and it wont kick in. I doubt with traction control off you can corner any faster.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah...I was just wondering what was possible. Even if I could turn it off, I probably wouldn't. I just wanted to see if it was possible. Thanks for the input guys. If anyone else has any good cornering strats, please share!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wider is better. . . . . stickier tires would help as well. My last car I switched from Bridgestone Potenza RE92s to Kuhmo Ecsta SPTs and it was night and day. I could corner 10mph faster without any squealing.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know of anyone who makes them, but cryo-hardened steel or chromoly shafts would be able to stand up to the abuse. Tires are also in good order, KDWII's take away a lot of drift that you would normally feel, and like eddie said; stickier tires make a night and day difference on ANY car.

As for technique, it may be harder to trail-brake, but you could try (Bondurant School of Racing) going hard into a corner, and about 1-3 seconds before the corner, slam on the brakes. I mean hard, and you will feel the car's nose hunker down and grip the road, putting maximum force over the front steering wheels. Doing this uses the car's momentum from when you mashed the gas to carry you through the turn, but also translates all brake control and steering wheel input the very important front wheels.

Watch some SCCA, SPEED World Challenge, or GT2/3 racing on SPEED channel, and you will see this technique put into effect. Watch the CTS-V's (Katech LS6 baby!) driven by Pilgrim and Papis, they are great at doing this.

Now you can't do this on the street all the time to full affect, but you can tone everything down about 50% and the technique still works.

Nacho
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see it now. . . . Nacho practicing it around his neighborhood scaring all the old ladies and children with squealing tires as he slams on the brakes and then slams the gas . . .. . i hear the echos. . . . "Stupid kids"
Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
I can see it now. . . . Nacho practicing it around his neighborhood scaring all the old ladies and children with squealing tires as he slams on the brakes and then slams the gas . . .. . i hear the echos. . . . "Stupid kids"
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Nah, I save the racing for the track...too many idiots on the road in CA already. Speaking of the devil, BariPLayer (morgan's) car got rearended the other day...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the tips guys. Nacho, that technique doesn't sound too good for the rotors, but interesting nevertheless. I'll have to check that program out on the speed channel.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

64/36 weight distrubution that hurts.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

WD does kill us, and so does the torque of the Ls4 coming out of corners...scared me more than a few times ...
Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Watch the CTS-V's (Katech LS6 baby!) driven by Pilgrim and Papis, they are great at doing this.
Yeah - road course racing by real race car drivers is great racing. Katech also build the engines for the Compuware C6R.

Saw them on American Muscle Car, turns out they're only a couple hours from my house, and they have an extensive Corvette and Camaro programs.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Katech is the bomb when it comes to building engines.

Did you see that thread in the advanced tech section of that corvette they built to C6R standards for a private owner? sick!!!

Quick Reply: differential score protection annoyances