LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

getting tuned

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting tuned

goin to get a tune on wed...anyone whos been tuned what have u gotten done im lookin at gettin the rev limiter removed, all my shift points changed to either 6000-6100rpm....any other things you guys got done lemme kno. thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

do not raise your shift points beyond 5700 or so, your valve springs are not up to the task, you will get into float and your performance will suffer noticably.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMPALA SS 07
goin to get a tune on wed...anyone whos been tuned what have u gotten done im lookin at gettin the rev limiter removed, all my shift points changed to either 6000-6100rpm....any other things you guys got done lemme kno. thanks
Umm...why would you remove the rev limiter? Stock rev limiter is 6100, stock springs won't take too much more than that without floating the valves. Or are you referring to having the speed limiter removed? At any rate, you'll want better springs if you want to rev much higher.

1-->2 shift is 5950 stock, 2-->3 is 5400, so yeah, a bump to 6000 makes sense.

I wouldn't bother having traction control turned off, we have a button for that.

You probably want to have both engine and transmission torque management backed off, and maybe increase the transmission shift pressures. Increasing the torque converter clutch duty cycle can help reduce some slippage, but you don't want the tuner to go too high with that or it lurches when moving in and out of DOD. (not really an issue if you have DOD disabled)

Some people disable the 'differential score' setting - stops the throttle from slamming closed if you spin the wheels around a corner - but if you do that too much, it's new diff time.

I believe you have the new E67 ECM that doesn't have a VE table, so I expect your tuner will probably just tune your airflow via the MAF. If you're interested, there's a guy over on the HPT bulletin board named Bluecat that created a program to solve and adjust the equations used in speed density mode. He posted the link to the download, and a quick search will find it.

If your tuner uses a dyno, you probably want to have your WOT timing adjusted for max torque. I found that the '05 really doesn't want much more timing before KR shows up, but then we only have 91 octane generally available here (two places on the opposite side of town have 94, but I'm not doing a 60 mile round trip every time I want to fill up).

I guess those are pretty much the basics.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

shift points can be adjusted perhaps, but you dont want it to shift too much later as others have said. the shifting firmness can be easily adjusted. i adjusted the rev limiter in park/neutral so i can rev at folks. timing....ltfts.....enrichment. torque management can be backed off. do you know what the fellow is using to tune?

take pictures and document what the fellow does, its useful knowledge--and let us know too. its interesting to see different schools of thought on tuning.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Launching!

i have no idea what the guy is using but i know they have a dyno...im going to this place in new jersey with my friend whos got a 2000 firebird ws6 and he just put a new motor in it so he needs a tune so i said ill go and get mine done the name of the shop is TTP performance or something like that and he is a very respectable tuner from what i hear but ill bring my laptop so i can hopefully post some updates as things happen and i will take many pics and maybe some vids if i can get a camcorder