LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Powersteering question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powersteering question

Does anyone else here notice high effort steering at low speeds? Every so often, my car will act like it has no power steering when turning in a parking garage or something, then as soon as I bring the RPM's up it steers normally. What could cause this?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Dont know what causes it but mine does the same thing on occasion i checked the power steering fluid it was full so i dont know what it could be good to know its not just my car
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep I get this....I think its because the engine doesn't have enough RPMs to run the pump at the point. My monte is a bitch to drive especially in parking lots that are tight (school lot ) but it gives my arms a workout.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Yep I get this....I think its because the engine doesn't have enough RPMs to run the pump at the point. My monte is a bitch to drive especially in parking lots that are tight (school lot ) but it gives my arms a workout.
you should really only be noticing this when the AC is not running. When the ac is on it should bring rpms up high enough you don't have this problem. Our engines idle at aroudn 500 to 600rpm which apparently our pump doesnt like. If your having to much problem turning it just push the gas a little. But defiantly nothing wrong with it. Wish our cars woulda came with variable power steering
Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Well I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. I can't recall having this issue with any other car I've owned, but I guess I won't worry about it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've thought that the pump is way undersized from be beginning...that or the pulley just isn't small enough. With the 235's it was bad...but now with the 255's it's even worse trying to parallel park.

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 08-26-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Launching!

So the dealer would probably tell me this is considered normal operation if I were to complain?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

It never hurts to ask man, under warranty = only costs you your time.

Unless the dealer can find a leak or a slipping belt or something though all they can do is shrug and say "Normal operation."

Never noticed a problem on my GXP, must be a Impala and Monte quirk.

Of course us GXPs have our own quirks to make up for it.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
It never hurts to ask man, under warranty = only costs you your time.

Unless the dealer can find a leak or a slipping belt or something though all they can do is shrug and say "Normal operation."

Never noticed a problem on my GXP, must be a Impala and Monte quirk.

Of course us GXPs have our own quirks to make up for it.
Not exactly true. Not wanting to start lip but I have had dealers many times screw up something unrelated while fixing something else. Not always but it does happen. Get your car back with scratches, dings, etc.

Also, if it really bothered you about the power steering issue (and yes, I have it too and its always when I don't expect it) I think the thing to do would be to install a pulley slightly smaller than the existing power steering pulley. This would slightly speed the pump up, probably enough to prevent it from happening again. Wouldn't have to be very much smaller, if it's like mine it's already on the verge of problem free, just not quite.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sint3k
you should really only be noticing this when the AC is not running. When the ac is on it should bring rpms up high enough you don't have this problem. Our engines idle at aroudn 500 to 600rpm which apparently our pump doesnt like. If your having to much problem turning it just push the gas a little. But defiantly nothing wrong with it. Wish our cars woulda came with variable power steering
Ive never really paid attention when the ac is on it doesnt really happen alot to me but like the other guys say usually in a tight situation it gets a lil hard to turn but it doesnt bother me enough to go sit for hours at my dealer for them to tell me theirs nothing wrong even though its still under warranty
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Does the engine whine at all? If it whines, it could be a pulley or pump issue, too. They replaced a few pulleys of mine b/c they were whining like a biotch.