LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Procharged LT1 Breakin Up....No Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharged LT1 Breakin Up....No Check Engine Light

Car breaks up bad under acceleration with no check engine light. Optispark was replaced about 2 months ago with a Delphi Opti. New ACDelco O2 sensors within 1000 miles. Car was running fine until about two weeks ago. Car has been getting over 220 at stoplights in the 90 degree heat and then creaping back to 180 when moving. I don't see any steam coming out the tailpipes though. Any thoughts anyone?????? I am about at my wits end with this f'n car and I don't really want to have to do an engine.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

check the plugs? ignition coil? wires? i had something similar happen to my dsm turbo a long time ago. idled fine, drove fine, but put some load on it and it sputtered, turned out it was the plugs. it's a cheap fix to swap them out or check the gap and make sure it's spot on for FI needs. couldn't tell you what that needs to be.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madball
Car breaks up bad under acceleration with no check engine light. Optispark was replaced about 2 months ago with a Delphi Opti. New ACDelco O2 sensors within 1000 miles. Car was running fine until about two weeks ago. Car has been getting over 220 at stoplights in the 90 degree heat and then creaping back to 180 when moving. I don't see any steam coming out the tailpipes though. Any thoughts anyone?????? I am about at my wits end with this f'n car and I don't really want to have to do an engine.
check list
Wires
Plugs
Coil
Icm
Fuel PSI

Im sure others will add to the list
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Mine started breaking up and it turned out I pushed a head gasket and was combusting coolant. Change your oil too and look for water/carbon pushed into the bottom end. SoxXpupPets list though is rather sound. Make sure your plugs are gapped for boost too, it could be blowing the spark out.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Plugs were just done when I did the o2's and gap was closed for boost. Checked wires and they all looked good. Fuel pressure is good. I am really starting to think either the opti is faulty(doubt it) or a head is cracked/bad head gasket. I am goin to do a coolant pressure test and if that comes up bad I am going to pull the plugs. This is just f'n great because I have no $$$ and am trying to sell the car. A potential buyer came over today and that is when this problem started, when we went for a test drive. I have the worst luck. BEST OFFERS PLEASE
Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

check the coil? and coil module?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Is there a way to check besides replacing them.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I messed around with the car today for a bit. I did not yet figure it out and it is still runing like total crap. I did notice that the check valve for line from the optispark to the intake was stuck open. Could boosted pressure of damaged the optispark. The new delphi opti only has about 300miles on it and the check valve was replaced (w/an autozone POS) when I did the opti because the old one was stuck shut, so who knows when it failed. I did not hook up the vent line that goes to the intake side of the blower, I just had it plugged until I got the time to hook it up. So the pressure was just being held in the opti. I doubt this could of caused any damage but right now I am just searching for the cause. I pulled the plugs and they looked as good as 1000 miles plugs should. I am thinkin maybe it could be the MAP sensor. I am truly sick of owning this car and workin on it WAY more than I drive it. ANY THOUGHTS????