LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 z28 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 z28 oil leak

i just traded about 3 weeks ago for this z, found out after taking it up to NTB were i use to work, put it on the lift and found that rear main, oil pan, and timing chain cover were leaking. is there a one peice seal for this? i know i have to pull tranny to replace rear main, what else do i need to do, and how much money and time you think it will take, i have the tools and the time. im use to my 02 silverado with the 4.3 and working on other vehicles so im sorta new to the fbodys, never worked on one before
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear main seal is a 1 peice unit. i got mine through rockauto dot com but you can get it anywhere. also be sure to check the back of your intake manifold. its a comon place for there to be a leak. from inbetween your block deck and your intake. also from the oil pressure switch which is located right next to it. just put your hand back there and check for any oil. if thats the case replace your intake gaskets and silicone the crap out of it
Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found my rear main leaking as well and that is when I started shopping around for a cam with all of the supporting mods. I found that it would be easier and likely to have a much better result by just dropping the k member, separating the tranny and putting the motor on a stand. Especially with access to a lift.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

i replaced mine when i replaced my clutch. i killed 2 birds with 1 stone. it had just started to show signs of leaking. i wasnt going to go through all that work to not replace it.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

yea i just might as well drop the motor and check everything really good, and do it all then. supposedly the motor had just been rebuilt 40000 ago, i might just wait till income tax since ill be getting a pretty good amount and throw in some other things cam, lifters etc
Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevyking4
yea i just might as well drop the motor and check everything really good, and do it all then. supposedly the motor had just been rebuilt 40000 ago, i might just wait till income tax since ill be getting a pretty good amount and throw in some other things cam, lifters etc
sounds like a plan! might also wanna take off the heads and send them over to lloyd
Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Teching In

i might just do that lol
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevyking4
i might just do that lol
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/ nothing but great news from him. he helped me out with all the part numbers for my new vavle springs, he was very helpful. he also has some very tasteful cams to choose from aswell as custom grinds