LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 LT1 AI Cam-only Motor Build Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1LE-A...Q5fAccessories

THis a good a/c delete pulley? i saw 1LE ones on there but i'm not trying to spend 60-70 bucks on this....

Anyone used this one? work good?
Im ordering it lmao I'll let you know how it is
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Im ordering it lmao I'll let you know how it is
there is more than one on there so i'm ordering the other one right now haha
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1LE-A...Q5fAccessories

THis a good a/c delete pulley? i saw 1LE ones on there but i'm not trying to spend 60-70 bucks on this....

Anyone used this one? work good?
I ordered the one from Summit for like ~30 bucks and it works great.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, on well i already ordered that one so it'll work haha. I think i'll order my EWP from summit in a few weeks since i have a $50 gift card for there i need to use.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good so far
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Looks good so far
Thanks man!

Well i started to pull the A/C tonight and got most of the stuff out besides one damn bolt on the back on the compressor that i could not get to that pissed me off so i quit for the night lol. Also while i was layin on the ground i realized my stupid self ripped the wires to my oil level sensor right next to the sensor when i replaced the pan gasket, so i'll have to splice into that but its not gonna be easy with how close the wires ripped to the sensor. God damn little things haha.

Well thats all i could handle for tonight people, pushrods and a/c delete pulley will be here this week so we'll see when i feel like workin on it again haha.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, you're not too far from done. It's progressing nicely. I'm hoping to start my cam install sometime in the coming weeks. I'm still trying to figure out exactly which one I want to go with though. I may just end up with a CC503, or 306. Because my buddy that is going to help me with it works at Oreilly's, here in town, and he gives me stuff at employee pricing, and can get the Comp cams. He was just going to help me with my 1.7RR install. But, we decided, what the hell, why not go ahead and put a cam in it if we're going to be swapping out all the valvetrain components. lol
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i would look into what the lift numbers would be on both those cams with 1.7's though and make sure you got enough valve spring to handle that much. You wouldn't want to get any coil bind and really mess something up.

As for being almost done, yes and no lol. I have a ton of little **** that is going to take forever lol. I keep running into little problems, not that are too major just a pain in the you know where haha.

Also i still need close to 1300 bucks still for headers, tune, and EWP. Then the motor will be done, but then i still want to do some suspension work, put 4.10's in the extra 10 bolt i bought, buy new slicks, and buy pro-star skinny fronts and tires. It never ends haha. Thanks god i start a new job with more pay on monday cause i got about 3 months til the track re-opens and i'd like to have everything on that list done. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tspence45
Hell, you're not too far from done. It's progressing nicely. I'm hoping to start my cam install sometime in the coming weeks. I'm still trying to figure out exactly which one I want to go with though. I may just end up with a CC503, or 306. Because my buddy that is going to help me with it works at Oreilly's, here in town, and he gives me stuff at employee pricing, and can get the Comp cams. He was just going to help me with my 1.7RR install. But, we decided, what the hell, why not go ahead and put a cam in it if we're going to be swapping out all the valvetrain components. lol
If your heart is set on a comp cam, I think they do custom grinds at no extra charge. You might be able to get something closer to this cam than the 503 or 306. IMO, the 503 wasn't enough and the 306 was a bit too much for a car that I drive to work and back (80 miles round trip) 2 to 3 times a week. The 306 was gonna kill me on gas.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ya i would look into what the lift numbers would be on both those cams with 1.7's though and make sure you got enough valve spring to handle that much. You wouldn't want to get any coil bind and really mess something up.

As for being almost done, yes and no lol. I have a ton of little **** that is going to take forever lol. I keep running into little problems, not that are too major just a pain in the you know where haha.

Also i still need close to 1300 bucks still for headers, tune, and EWP. Then the motor will be done, but then i still want to do some suspension work, put 4.10's in the extra 10 bolt i bought, buy new slicks, and buy pro-star skinny fronts and tires. It never ends haha. Thanks god i start a new job with more pay on monday cause i got about 3 months til the track re-opens and i'd like to have everything on that list done. Keeping my fingers crossed...
I shoudn't have a problem with lift. I don't think either cam was going to surpass .600" lift on 1.7's, and my 918 Beehives can handle up to .625". I have been looking into getting rid of them, and getting the Patriot dual spring kit that can handle .650", just for a little added insurance. But, I'm still unsure of what I want to do.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
If your heart is set on a comp cam, I think they do custom grinds at no extra charge. You might be able to get something closer to this cam than the 503 or 306. IMO, the 503 wasn't enough and the 306 was a bit too much for a car that I drive to work and back (80 miles round trip) 2 to 3 times a week. The 306 was gonna kill me on gas.
Oh, my heart's not set on a Comp Cam. Lloyd Elliot actually has a couple cams that I've had my eye on, that are right inbetween the 503 and 306. The only problem I see with them, is the massive amount of lift with 1.7RR's. The one cam I really want would be at .620" lift on them. And I don't want to get too close to the Beehive's max rating of .625". That's why I've been looking into the Patriot dual spring kit, that can handle .650".
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I'll agree with that statement the day I see all or most aftermarket custom cams for stock displacement motors being ground on a smaller base circle. It's not necessary on a stock or close to stock displacement motor - that's what I should have said.
They don't do it for rod clearance they do it because of the larger lobe lift...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tspence45
Oh, my heart's not set on a Comp Cam. Lloyd Elliot actually has a couple cams that I've had my eye on, that are right inbetween the 503 and 306. The only problem I see with them, is the massive amount of lift with 1.7RR's. The one cam I really want would be at .620" lift on them. And I don't want to get too close to the Beehive's max rating of .625". That's why I've been looking into the Patriot dual spring kit, that can handle .650".
You might be able to get one of those cams ground so they have a little less lift (like .600-.605) so they don't max out the bee hives. BTW 2XR95Z28, are those Mr. Gasket .026 head gaskets very reliable? I am gonna start buying my final things to get it together and I really dont wanna have to take it back apart for a blown head gasket. Also, what do you think they would bump compression of a stock (non milled) head with a stock deck block up to? Stock ratio is like 10.4 I think.

Last edited by sweet-94z28; 01-04-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be able to get one of those cams ground so they have a little less lift (like .600-.605) so they don't max out the bee hives. BTW 2XR95Z28, are those Mr. Gasket .026 head gaskets very reliable? I am gonna start buying my final things to get it together and I really dont wanna have to take it back apart for a blown head gasket. Also, what do you think they would bump compression of a stock (non milled) head with a stock deck block up to? Stock ratio is like 10.4 I think.
With just the .026 gaskets you should be close to 11.5:1 I think with my milled heads i'll be even closer to 12:1. As for reliability i dont see why they wouldn't be? I would just make sure to let the motor warm up before beating on it, i think that is why mine blew out cause i would beat the crap out of it when it was still cold....
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I did more research and they are just Impala head gaskets. I thought they were thinner. I was shooting for 11.5:1 so I should be golden with .026 gaskets.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I did more research and they are just Impala head gaskets. I thought they were thinner. I was shooting for 11.5:1 so I should be golden with .026 gaskets.
What do you mean when you say they are just impala gaskets? Impalas are .028 if I remember right and the Mr Gasket p/n 5716 are .026 which is what i'm using. Just wanted to clarify that.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just read on another site last night that they were .026. Oh well, I have a set of stock GM ones and they are gonna be for sale because I wanna bump up the comp. ratio as much as possible. I'm gonna try to order some of the Impala gaskets today from the Chevy dealer. Either way, they both work and bump the compression up a little.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, Mr. Gaskets will be a little higher than 11.5 and the impala's will be right around 11.5 not much difference but there is a slight one.

Some Updates-
Talked to Shon from Herronperformance.com and he talked to AI and UMI and my pushrods and emmisions block-off plates will be shipping out today. So whenever those come in the intake can go back on. Also my A/C delete pulley should be here this week, and i'm still working on tearing out the a/c compressor. Next on the list is figuring out how i'm going to re-wire the oil level sensor since i was a genious and ripped those wires. Hoping to get all that stuff done this week. Should be ordering the Headers and EWP i would say in 3-4 weeks as i just got a better paying job i start today. Things are looking preety good. Will get pics as parts come in!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i decided to get something done tonight so i got the rest of the A/C pulled out so when the pulley comes in i can just put it on right away. So now until parts come the only thing i gotta do is figure out how to fix the wires on the oil level sensor. And i gotta get a new oil pressure sensor in cause it got broke on the tear down. Anyone know where to get one cheap?

Pics from tonight....
Junk pile with the A/C stuff and also the sway bar brackets i pulled off tonight...

Pic on the engine bay w/o the a/c bracket, looks a bit cleaner...

Some stuff is scheduled in for tomorrow so i'll get pics of those then.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well i decided to get something done tonight so i got the rest of the A/C pulled out so when the pulley comes in i can just put it on right away. So now until parts come the only thing i gotta do is figure out how to fix the wires on the oil level sensor. And i gotta get a new oil pressure sensor in cause it got broke on the tear down. Anyone know where to get one cheap?

Pics from tonight....
Junk pile with the A/C stuff and also the sway bar brackets i pulled off tonight...

Pic on the engine bay w/o the a/c bracket, looks a bit cleaner...

Some stuff is scheduled in for tomorrow so i'll get pics of those then.
You still need to remove that little black bracket that used to hold the AC dryer.

I think I have a oil pressure sensor on my old long block in the garage if you are interested.

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 AI Cam-only Motor Build Pics