LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

just the head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just the head gasket?

So i finally tracked down my misfire it was a blown a head gasket, tore everything apart today pulled the head and the number 8 piston had coolant sitting on top of it, and you can see where the gasket is a little messed up. My question is will i only have to replace the head gasket?? or do a complete rebuild? There was no white moke coming out of the exhaust and the car drove pretty decent despite the misfire. I checked the oil and it does not look milky.....
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say if you'll be fine but i would take the heads to get checked and maybe milled to make sure you didnt warp the head from overheating at all. I Just had the same thing happen to me and i got the heads checked and i replaced the gasket but i'm still in the process of re-doing my top end with an Advanced Inductions cam set up and had the stock heads get a valve job. I think as long as you never let the motor over heat you'll be fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
I would say if you'll be fine but i would take the heads to get checked and maybe milled to make sure you didnt warp the head from overheating at all. I Just had the same thing happen to me and i got the heads checked and i replaced the gasket but i'm still in the process of re-doing my top end with an Advanced Inductions cam set up and had the stock heads get a valve job. I think as long as you never let the motor over heat you'll be fine.
the motor overheated once but i parked it immeditley .....
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I would say you are good as long as nothing got in the Oil. How many miles are on it?

I would replace both Head Gaskets, and mill the Heads aswell. Pretty much clean up and freshen up the top-end.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
I would say you are good as long as nothing got in the Oil. How many miles are on it?

I would replace both Head Gaskets, and mill the Heads aswell. Pretty much clean up and freshen up the top-end.
130xxx, but was rebuilt less than 5k ago, and these are after market heads, edelbrock preformers i beleive..
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hijack but, what thickness head gasket should you use to keep the stock compression for our cars ? im going to be pulling the heads when i do my cam to freshen everything up and dont want to loose compression in the process.

but to grnmonster

id replace both head gaskets and check the heads to see if there perfectly flat still.