LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

disconnected egr cause ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnected egr cause ticking noise?

Just did the head gaskets and the car is runing great but there is a annoying ticking coming from drivers side of the engine... When i to the egr tube off i broke the tube that goes to the egr itself and i have not gotten around to replacing it so the two nipples (the one on the egr and the one on the intake manifold ) arer open and not blocked off, would that cause a tciking noise?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grnmonster
Just did the head gaskets and the car is runing great but there is a annoying ticking coming from drivers side of the engine... When i to the egr tube off i broke the tube that goes to the egr itself and i have not gotten around to replacing it so the two nipples (the one on the egr and the one on the intake manifold ) arer open and not blocked off, would that cause a tciking noise?
There is nothing wrong with removing the little vacuum line from the egr, but the port on the intake manifold (nipple) needs to be capped off or it will cause a vacuum leak.
If you just did header gaskets and you are hearing a ticking noise, odds are good that one of them is leaking. I would try to feel along the headers, just as you start it up cold, to feel for puffing air anywhere along the header flanges.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
There is nothing wrong with removing the little vacuum line from the egr, but the port on the intake manifold (nipple) needs to be capped off or it will cause a vacuum leak.
If you just did header gaskets and you are hearing a ticking noise, odds are good that one of them is leaking. I would try to feel along the headers, just as you start it up cold, to feel for puffing air anywhere along the header flanges.
I only did the passengers side head gasket.. and the noise is defanatley coming from the drivers side
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

if you have ticking its most likely unrelated to EGR, most likely a header leak. header/manifold leaks usually have a ticking sound
Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
if you have ticking its most likely unrelated to EGR, most likely a header leak. header/manifold leaks usually have a ticking sound
hope its an exhaust leak and not a bent rod or something like that, its not that loud and the engine was just rebuilt so i doubt it
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

rod knock is a lot deeper in tone, so i highly doubt it is that. Most likely an exhaust leak or something in the valvetrain

Quick Reply: disconnected egr cause ticking noise?