LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So I emailed HP Tuners and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I emailed HP Tuners and...

Jay responded back to me with a question about getting HP Tuners on the market for us LTX guys and here is the response:

Steve,

The short answer is that I don't know. We have put work into it, the issue
is the current model year is the priority (2009). There are also some other
application and infrastructure priorities that have to come first. With
that understanding, I don't have an answer for when will we have it for you,
other than when we do, I will email you.

Thank you,

Jay
HP Tuners

So what I say is start emailing them and maybe it will kick this into overdrive if they see a bigger interest from us.
It is a possibility in the works so lets push it along!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or start pouring interest into the Opti->LS PCM mod that will help drop the cost of the machined parts and then you'll not have to worry about what software you use
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 AM
12 Second Club

I do think we have been around longer than the 2009 cars...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would HP tuners waste time/resources to create a product for an outdated market? I am sure they as a company are looking forward, not backwards.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Why would HP tuners waste time/resources to create a product for an outdated market? I am sure they as a company are looking forward, not backwards.
But wouldn't any company as large as themselves try to take over the market completely buy getting a large varied customer base. Thats Business really, the more money you make is more money you have.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You pounce on what is hot-that's the new cars.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
then again, edelbrock just came out with an LT1/4 intake manifold, DART just came out with LT1 heads, AI really started kicking LT1 support into high gear not long ago, etc

so who knows, not saying it's the wisest choice but the aftermarket has been suprisingly kind lately
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

my questions would be what is hptuners going to do that tunercat doesn't already do for less than $100? i'm sure it will have a nicer user interface but will it be that more functional? i'm sure it would be a lot more pricey.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by Psycho_Teddy
But wouldn't any company as large as themselves try to take over the market completely buy getting a large varied customer base. Thats Business really, the more money you make is more money you have.
The more money you make is potentialy the more you have, yes. But it isnt just releasing a product. There would have to be R&D and production costs etc..and considering the LT1 is a dying breed I dont see how it would be very profitable for HPTuners.

Originally Posted by myltwon
then again, edelbrock just came out with an LT1/4 intake manifold, DART just came out with LT1 heads, AI really started kicking LT1 support into high gear not long ago, etc
The edelbrock intake had been being 'designed' for like 6yrs, that thing is a junk heap and edelbrock released a low performing product.

As for the Darts, LT1 is a gen1 with reverse cooling and some other goodies, Dart basicaly took an SBC head and reverse cooled it and called it a new LT1 casting.

Tony.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Edelbrock intake manifold has been around since 1996. They had a cam and intake package that never hit the market in the mid 90s. I'm sure it's the exact same intake manifold, they waited for the LT4 to go off the market before they brought their intake out.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

I mean it was recently released, I know its been in development for a LOOONNNG time. not saying it's a quality piece either or worth the money, but it says that they think its still a profitable venture. because this is also they same company that made aftermarket LTx heads that CLAIMED 23 or so hp gains so obviously not the best track record with LT1s

As for the Darts, LT1 is a gen1 with reverse cooling and some other goodies, Dart basicaly took an SBC head and reverse cooled it and called it a new LT1 casting.
well they still released it though, long after LT1 production ceased, actually 12 years later. production of these things still costs them money and they made an investment based on the assumption that the LTx world is still a profitible market to some extent

not saying we get much love but the aftermarket world hasn't completely given up on us yet

also trickflow just released a 21 degree head for lt1's not long ago if I remember correctly
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

I think the aftermarket world is going to bloom now for the ltx cars.
Lets face it guys, these are cheap cars. If you want to build a damn fast car the turns some heads for cheap, it doesnt get much better than an ltx car.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trick450r
I think the aftermarket world is going to bloom now for the ltx cars.
Lets face it guys, these are cheap cars. If you want to build a damn fast car the turns some heads for cheap, it doesnt get much better than an ltx car.
^ agree'd!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys can use LT1-Edit
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C_Rules
my questions would be what is hptuners going to do that tunercat doesn't already do for less than $100?
Tunercat isn't less than $100 for obd2, don't know about obd1.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trick450r
i think the aftermarket world is going to bloom now for the ltx cars.
x3!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

AI really has kicked LTx support into top gear lately as well
Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Alot of guy's just convert they're 96-97 cars to a 94-95 computer so they can use OBD1 TunerCATS software that can be had for less than $100. But when you think about it... if HPTuners can crack all the code of the 96-97 computers then it will be 10x better software than TunerCATS. Cause if anyone of you has ever used the OBD1 RT Tuner from CATS it is not user friendly whatsoever!!! HPTuners is 10x more user friendly and actually has datalogging bundled with the software. TunerCATS OBD1 does NOT have datalogging support and you must rely on TTS Datamaster software or a $180 EFILive v4 software to log the OBD1 diagnostics port. So for the 96-97 guys the HPTuners would be just as "cheap" as TunerCATS would be and they also wouldnt have the headache of repinning harness's for an older computer.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]So for the 96-97 guys the HPTuners would be just as "cheap" as TunerCATS would be and they also wouldnt have the headache of repinning harness's for an older computer.[QUOTE]

What "repinning" are you talking about?

I have and use all the software packages you mentioned, except the scan software. None of that laptop scan software compares to the real thing, a Tech2. I don't see one brand of tuning software being any easier to use than the other. You just have to get used to any of it. The LSX market is where the money is, I don't see how hptuners could "take over" the market. Most pros already have software for the LT stuff, I can't see enough of them buying LT1cable credits at $50.00 a pop to replace software that was cheaper and already paid for. Dosen't make business sense for them to divert their time away from the new stuff. I don't think may realize the man hours invested in just keeping up with the new models, as well as the new updates the mfgrs keep puting out. I don't know how they keep up with that without taking on something new.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for me it was cheeper to swap over to lsx engine and pcm when i came to
for my 95 z28, the opti problems along with the lack of tuning devices really were the main reasons i went with lsx swap. i wanted to go fast, use as many stock parts as possible, a ls6 pullout with standalone harness and th350
solved my problem

Quick Reply: So I emailed HP Tuners and...