LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to: !EGR and !AIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to: !EGR and !AIR

I cannot find the site that had a writeup on how to delete these 2 systems. I think its pretty much straight foward, but i want to be sure Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't mention what year but if its on ur 96 you will need a pcm reflash to get rid of trouble codes afterward...Otherwise its pretty much a remove and cap type deal.. The airpump can be completely removed/unplugged the hoses goes to the intake capped off or a straight tube to replace them, the fittings in the exhaust manifolds capped off or non emmisions headers used to replace them... The EGR same thing, remove tube between passenger side header and back of intake manifold, cap off both ends... If you have a stockish motor there is really no gain here, more for looks than anything else, EGR actually helps you to get slightly higher gas mileage as well as emmisions, if you have a Cam installed it may be hurting you slightly....I personally have posted all this before including the part #'s on the manifold caps... look again
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I did was buy the EGR blockoff plates, and remove all the EGR parts first b/c they were easiest, then I took off the AIR pump, and all the tubing that is associated with it. After that you'll need some vacuum caps to plug the intake manifold and the intake tract.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ebay should have some egr block off plates
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it required to get a tune, or will it just be annoying with engine light on? I removed all my emissions on my 01 ls1 and drove it without a tune, everytime the light came on id just clear it. Ran just fine for the time i had it.

Quick Reply: How to: !EGR and !AIR