LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

decided on my rr set up , have a few q's.....

Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question decided on my rr set up , have a few q's.....

Ok I lied about being done with my noob threads lol. Im going to go with nsa 1.6rr's and a 918 spring. Does anyone know the exact part # for the hardened rod I will need? And for the guide plates? Im probably going through summit if that helps. I know I need the rockers,springs,stud conversion,guide plates and hardened push rods. Just want to make sure I get the right **** the first time around. Thanks,Dale
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

as for the pushrods its usually a 7.2" for a stock cam but if you changing your cam then you will need a pushrod length checker....summit plates will work and any rod can do the job, just what you prefer and what ur budget allows you to do.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

So summit guide plates will work. Im keeping my stock cam for now so a 7.2 hardened rod?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

yezzir
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
as for the pushrods its usually a 7.2" for a stock cam but if you changing your cam then you will need a pushrod length checker....summit plates will work and any rod can do the job, just what you prefer and what ur budget allows you to do.
You don't need a pushrod length checker if you're changing your cam. If the heads have never been off (or milled) and all stock gaskets are used then no - you do not need a length checker and hardened 7.2" pushrods will be fine.

If you want guideplates you simply can't pick up any Summit brand plate. Normal SBC plates won't work properly. The GM plates will work, along with Trick Flow and Isky adjustables.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You don't need a pushrod length checker if you're changing your cam. If the heads have never been off (or milled) and all stock gaskets are used then no - you do not need a length checker and hardened 7.2" pushrods will be fine.

If you want guideplates you simply can't pick up any Summit brand plate. Normal SBC plates won't work properly. The GM plates will work, along with Trick Flow and Isky adjustables.
Yes you do there buddy, their are a lot of variables that can change during cam removal LT1's with stock heads (assuming heads have not been milled and block has not been decked etc.) use 7.200" pushrods. Pushrod length should be checked on any camshaft or change in the cylinder heads. There are a lot of variables that can change the length of the pushrods needed from milling the heads, valve job height, valve length, deck height of the block and camshaft base circle size. If the pushrods are too long or too short they will cause wearing of the guides and possible valvetrain failure, i wouldnt want you building my engine just slapping crap in and sending it off.....as for a summit plate if its for the Lt1 it ill work but yes trickflow makes an awesome set of plates and pushrods
Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rob,u wanna build my motor lol.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Yes you do there buddy, their are a lot of variables that can change during cam removal LT1's with stock heads (assuming heads have not been milled and block has not been decked etc.) use 7.200" pushrods. Pushrod length should be checked on any camshaft or change in the cylinder heads. There are a lot of variables that can change the length of the pushrods needed from milling the heads, valve job height, valve length, deck height of the block and camshaft base circle size. If the pushrods are too long or too short they will cause wearing of the guides and possible valvetrain failure, i wouldnt want you building my engine just slapping crap in and sending it off.....as for a summit plate if its for the Lt1 it ill work but yes trickflow makes an awesome set of plates and pushrods
Alright then buddy.

What are these variables that can change when you strictly just remove a cam? I said it in my previous post - if the heads have never been off, you can use 7.2 rods with no problem. I've done it on SIX LT1s going on for 10 years worth of experience, while others I'm sure have even longer experience and will agree with me. Never once did I said you don't need to measure if the heads have been milled, gasket changed, etc. You're mentioning all of these non-stock additions (deck height, small base circle, valve length, etc.). I would think at this point the OP would already know to measure in those cases. But I'll say it again. If the heads have NEVER been off it is okay to use stock length 7.2" rods. If they HAVE been off, but they were not milled, and the stock head gasket was reused, you can use 7.2"s. If the heads have been off, been milled, valve changed, smaller base-circle cam installed, block decked, etc., then YES. You do need to measure.

If you are installing a popular grind cam with the normal base circle (99% of all applications and cam selection), then NO - 7.2" rods are what you need, if you meet the criteria above.

And you didn't specify any difference in your original post about guideplates. You gave the OP the impression that all Summit guideplates were the same. That's why I corrected you. I'm not trying to be an *******, but the guy deserves correct and clear information. By all means if he wants to measure and find out that 7.2s" are fine, and then have to wait to have stock length pushrods shipped to him while his motor is apart, then by all means go for it.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

These are the parts I used for my CC503 build:

TF Guideplates - Part #: 30400623-8 $16
ARP 7/16 studs - Part #: 134-7103 $38
TF Chromemoly pr's - Part #: 21407200 $86.95
CC 1.6 ProMagnum 7/16 rr's - Part #: 1305-16 $290
Crane dual spring kit - Part #: 10308

Other options for springs are:
Comp 918's
PAC 1218's
Patriot Extreme spring kit - part #: 8501-BSBC $275
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

TF Guideplates - Part #: 30400623-8 $16
ARP 7/16 studs - Part #: 134-7103 $38
TF Chromemoly pr's - Part #: 21407200 $86.95
CC 1.6 ProMagnum 7/16 rr's - Part #: 1305-16 $290
Crane dual spring kit - Part #: 10308

These are the parts I used, except I went with the GM plates. The TFs are also a good choice.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread