LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1993 Z28 converted 383 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Z28 converted 383 stroker

hey everybody i have a '93 z28 LT1 automatic, i had the engine rebuilt to a 383 stroker, and it runs pretty good, but it could be better and what i mean is when i had all of this done of course you cannot flash the ecu on a 93 so i had to get jet performance chips to make me a custom chip for it and it does ok, but what i need to know is there anybody out there that makes an aftermarket wire harness and computer for the 93 to convert it to OBDII, so that way i can tune it myself with a handheld programmer, any help at all will be greatly appreciated, thanks...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brock1993
hey everybody i have a '93 z28 LT1 automatic, i had the engine rebuilt to a 383 stroker, and it runs pretty good, but it could be better and what i mean is when i had all of this done of course you cannot flash the ecu on a 93 so i had to get jet performance chips to make me a custom chip for it and it does ok, but what i need to know is there anybody out there that makes an aftermarket wire harness and computer for the 93 to convert it to OBDII, so that way i can tune it myself with a handheld programmer, any help at all will be greatly appreciated, thanks...
Just get a '96-'97 harness and computer and rewire the pinouts on the shock tower and I think you should be good, but I don't know what else is involved in the conversion.

http://shbox.com/1/harness_connector_faces.htm

I've got a '97 PCM in my garage btw. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just swapped it for a tunned PCM when I did my cam-only build.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 02-09-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

96-97 will probably make Dyno tuning easier, by finding a shop that can do it, but ODB1 I think you'll be happier with for performance (lots convert back), which is 94-95. It'll be a bit easier to do as well since it won't have a crank sensor, so you won't have to upgrade the timing cover. If you go 94, it'll be MUCH easier, but you won't have a vented opti (not a big deal, since you can buy an MSD cap that gives you that ability). There are many great tuners out there who can do ODB1 cars.

There is ALSO still quite a few great people who can do our 93s still, it's mail order like your Jet, except not a waste of money (no offense). Ion at MadTuners is great, Ed Write is old school and a great tuner, and I don't recall his name but someone at PCM4Less does EPROMs too.

If you get a chance to get that JET chip dumped to a BIN file, I would absolutely LOVE to look at the file! Any good computer repair shop (I don't mean like Best Buy, but the stand alone "mom 'n pop" style) should have a PROM burner and able to make a dump of that chip. I wouldn't be able to burn it myself so I won't be able to take real advantage of looking at it, but I'm really curious what JET considers an "upgrade". I'd be willing to paypal ya $5 for the file if that'd be any incentive lol

Anyways back on topic, I still say do 94-95 for an upgrade. If you have a M6 that'll be easier, if you have a 700R4, you won't be able to control the trans from the computer like the 4L60E. Not a big deal really, and the PCM can be tuned to work just fine with the 700R4.

Just ask Qs, we'll help you as best we can!

OH PS: If you stick with the 93 and get a new PROM, that little socket adapter JET sent you, you can reuse it! You just pull out JETs chip and put the new one in, that'll save you $30 on that adapter card (I still have to get one , I was dumb and soldered my stock one out and soldered the new one in heh I do NOT recommend that!)
Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brock1993
You can tune it yourself, WITH the 93 stuff in it by using this chip burner/emulator from moates. Handheld tuners are garbage.

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=54

$330 and you're set
Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You can tune it yourself, WITH the 93 stuff in it by using this chip burner/emulator from moates. Handheld tuners are garbage.

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=54

$330 and you're set
I don't know if I would tell someone to just start tuning their own car without a lot of research.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Teching In

he started this thread because he wants to tune it himself, the moates hookup does seem like a great idea but i haven't heard of anyone using it, but if you want to convert the harness then the 94-95 with obd1 is definitely the way to go!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fmaznicki
he started this thread because he wants to tune it himself, the moates hookup does seem like a great idea but i haven't heard of anyone using it, but if you want to convert the harness then the 94-95 with obd1 is definitely the way to go!
My bad, over looked that.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 94-5 OBD1 setup is very easy and cheap to tune.

Then again since displaement was the key here and he did not even bother to mention anything that actually adds power then maybe it is best to let someone else do the tuning.

Quick Reply: 1993 Z28 converted 383 stroker