LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

crank pressure hose?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pressure hose?

theres a hose that comes off of the passenger side valve cover going to the throttle body. i was wondering if i could take that off and just throw on an oil breather without having any problems
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could, but why?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did on mine, no issues so far, i just capped the outlet on the TB

not the best picture, but its all i have at the moment. Got the filter for like $10 at autozone

Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shutzero
theres a hose that comes off of the passenger side valve cover going to the throttle body. i was wondering if i could take that off and just throw on an oil breather without having any problems
Nothing works better than the stock PCV system at removing harmful gases from your engine. On cars with a MAF, a breather will cause a slight imbalace in the perceived air intake (the air used by the PCV system is measured). This will eventually be accounted for by the O2 readings, but you still lose the effeciency of the PCV system. If you want to go complete breather, cap off the vacuum to the PCV valve.

If you are getting excess oil in the TB from blowby, you can put a catch can inline with the TB to valve cover hose. Other than that (or for blown applications), I don't know why anyone would want to circumvent a good system that helps keep their engine healty for the long run and replace it with something inferior.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shbox
Nothing works better than the stock PCV system at removing harmful gases from your engine. On cars with a MAF, a breather will cause a slight imbalace in the perceived air intake (the air used by the PCV system is measured). This will eventually be accounted for by the O2 readings, but you still lose the effeciency of the PCV system. If you want to go complete breather, cap off the vacuum to the PCV valve.

If you are getting excess oil in the TB from blowby, you can put a catch can inline with the TB to valve cover hose. Other than that (or for blown applications), I don't know why anyone would want to circumvent a good system that helps keep their engine healty for the long run and replace it with something inferior.
Mine I did bc i was getting oil going to the TB. I may put the stock one back on once i do the next engine
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok cool i didnt really know the reasoning behind the hose and i also didnt know if it could be done or not, thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank pressure hose?