LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 M6 Ta hard starting cold

Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 M6 Ta hard starting cold

The car has MSD opti, MSD coil, Moroso wires, NGK plugs. I just replaced fuel filter. Car idles with 40psi fuel. Pull the fpr vac line off and it pops to 47psi. No fuel leak down it hold pressure for atleast 5 minutes. Replaced the passenger side O2 about 150-200 miles ago with a denso from O2sensors.com. The driver side has a oem o2 sensor with about 4,000 miles on it.

Now three days ago I had 3 codes thrown. I took it upto Autozone and got them to let me pull the codes. They were P0135 and (2) P1133. Both have to do with the driver O2. I have driven the car atleast 25 miles since and still no code.

Basically when the car is cold, 70* outside, it took about 8 trys to get it to start with 10 second bursts. The first 4 trys yielded a bunch of smoke coming from up under the car and out the k&n intake and around the TB inlet. Funny thing was when I let off the key it would still try to crank. The last 4 times I tried cranking it I was also pumping the gas. The last time as I let off the key it started popping alot. I started pumping the gas and it started. Idle it up after about 5 seconds runs strong.

Took it for a drive and it runs strong. Seems to be popping some at higher rpms. Turn the car off and it will start right back up. Let it get cold and it's hard starting again.

The car has really thrown me for a loop. Looking for some ideas.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

I am sorry. I also put a vacum gauge on a driver side port and it has right at 25hg's of Vacume. It fluctuates very slightly and increases 2-3hg's when reving the engine.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

It's been 50 minutes since I turned the car off. Fp is still at 15psi.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

dont be concerned about the 02's. the car will be in open loop. the dont mean ****.
dont pump the damn gas.lol if you flood the car it will do the popping and the smoking.
put your foot to the floor and crank it. thats clear flood mode.
that FP isnt very high.
turn the key on then off. then back on give it a sec and try to start it.
what the fuel pressure with key on engine off?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Lifeisgood
Thank you for the reply. FP key on engine off it jumped from 10psi to 50 and then stopped at 44psi. I keyed of and back on and it stayed at 44-45 psi.

I will try that in the morning. I left the car running for an hour and the neighbors called the police on me so I had to stop jacking with the car for the night.

However a friend called and said he had a scanner he was borrowering so we went over and hooked it up to the car and went for a drive.

Yes it was running open loop and it has a pending code for faulty heater circuit on bank 1 sensor 1.

here are two seperate readings from the scanner

At Idle
map 12-13hg
rpm 980-1050
afr 1.21-1.31
bank 1 sen 1 .06??-.7??
bank 2 sen 1 .430-.790

The driver side reading was constantly bouncing all over the place.

At 2072 rpm
speed 76
map 8hg's
ing timing 29* advance
iat 66*
afr 2.15
O2 1 1 .780v
O2 2 1 .835v
Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Oh and my vacum gauge doesn't go back to zero once unhooked so it is messed up. So the 25hg's is inaccurate at idle.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

afr 1.21-1.31

if thats you air to fuel ratio.....thats really ******* rich.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

No go on the floored to get it started this morning. Had to pump it up and finally got it to fire.

Another thing when I am cranking it and almost have it started it will stop like the battery is dead. I walked away for a few minutes came back tried again and it fired up.

Took it for a drive to get the battery charged back up and when I got back I popped the hood to see what the fp was as I left my fuel pressure gauge attached to the schrader valve for now. With the engine off and the keys in my pocket the FP was at 37psi.

AFR is air/fuel ratio. I know the car is rich I figured it had to do with the o2 sensor malfunctioning. It gets really shitty gas mileage now like 15mpg at best on the highway.

Say your coming upto a stop sign and you throw it in neutral it revs at 2,000 rpms till you stop. The car will actually accelerate itself once your going you never have to hit the gas and just shift right through on upto 4th and it'll cruise at 40mph without ever hitting the gas. I can reverse without hitting the gas.

I think this weekend I'll pull the driver side plugs and see what they look like.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

vaccum leak?
if the car revs itself and it is hard starting thats what id be looking at.
get the car started and spray some carb cleaner around anything that could possibly have a leak, intake, vacc lines. everything.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Will do. Don't think it's the intake as I have already pulled that and put it back together but some of these line do look old.

The egr system is deleted but the egr is still there and hooked upto the what I assume to be the egr sensor but the vac lines on it are capped.

We haven't driven the car in about a week to 10 days. Went out Tuesday morning and it had this problem. The car has always been good about starting right up with just a blip of the key.

Search this Thread