LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best recommended LT1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
You could always get a custum grind cam designed for your mods or your future plans
Exactly ! When I get my next cam it will be custom for sure !
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myltwon
the big cams on stock heads actually run out of steam because they're not designed with the restrictions a stock head will force upon you. as far as power I've seen some gm847/cc306 cars dyno around the same as a cc503 through an auto, not sure with a 6 speed though. can't really say I've seen dyno numbers of a cc503 through a t56 but I imagine it would be around 350rwhp or so
And this is why dyno numbers are useless.

In similarly well prepped cars I have usually seen the bigger cams run better numbers. But this is just my personal experience.

Some will point to the cam only record holder who did it with a little crane cam, but that doesnt mean its the best cam or even that smaller cams are better.
It just means his was set up better to run a lower et. And when I say that Im refering to the car as a whole, gears, weight, tire, ect ect ect.
And there is no proof either way wether it would have run faster with a bigger cam or not.

Really you need to just match the cam to what YOU want to do with it.

Personally I have what most on here would consider too big a cam for a stock headed and bottom ended car, but it drives great, and I love the top end power.

Alot of people go fast with small cams and alot of people go fast with big cams. I think you may SEE more faster small cams guys, cause if you are doing a cam only then 9 times out of 10 you arent going all out with whatever you plan to do with your car for whatever reason. And smaller cams work better with stock stuff. For example there are alot of big cam stock gears guys...bad combo. There are also alot of guys who buy these big cams and then dont rev them to where they need to be.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

thank you for all the advice on cams, my motor is getting rebuilt soon, i think im going to have my stock heads ported but i cant decide yet, i have a 3500 stall and a big *** tranny cooler..im hoping ill get a nice cam and it will make some good numbers
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FF88
thank you for all the advice on cams, my motor is getting rebuilt soon, i think im going to have my stock heads ported but i cant decide yet, i have a 3500 stall and a big *** tranny cooler..im hoping ill get a nice cam and it will make some good numbers
That's good, don't forget gears....
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
And this is why dyno numbers are useless.

In similarly well prepped cars I have usually seen the bigger cams run better numbers. But this is just my personal experience.

Some will point to the cam only record holder who did it with a little crane cam, but that doesnt mean its the best cam or even that smaller cams are better.
It just means his was set up better to run a lower et. And when I say that Im refering to the car as a whole, gears, weight, tire, ect ect ect.
And there is no proof either way wether it would have run faster with a bigger cam or not.

Really you need to just match the cam to what YOU want to do with it.

Personally I have what most on here would consider too big a cam for a stock headed and bottom ended car, but it drives great, and I love the top end power.

Alot of people go fast with small cams and alot of people go fast with big cams. I think you may SEE more faster small cams guys, cause if you are doing a cam only then 9 times out of 10 you arent going all out with whatever you plan to do with your car for whatever reason. And smaller cams work better with stock stuff. For example there are alot of big cam stock gears guys...bad combo. There are also alot of guys who buy these big cams and then dont rev them to where they need to be.
dyno numbers can be useless of course due to many factors, but either way my stalled unlocked auto dyno'd 325rwhp, through a t56 I don't see why atleast another 25rwhp could be had which would make it on par with the average 350-360rwhp I see from 6speed cc306/gm847 guys. my car is hardly an optimal setup; used cam, SA roller tip rockers, midlength headers, 130k+ mile motor when dyno'd, etc

both seem to trap around the same which can be used in another point, since trap is simply a reflection of power-to-weight (obviously more variables but essentially what it boils down to). I'd imagine the bigger cam guys should run better than my baby cam and make more power, but from what I've seen it's mostly a car-to-car basis and the differences can be pretty negligible sometimes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Launching!

233/239 .569/.577