LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Comming into some money

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comming into some money

Well, I am going to be coming into some money (Will). I want to have a 383 with a Pro Charger SC built. Any suggestions out there from people who have ran this build. And maybe a suggestion on the top engine builders out there. Basically I want to build a TA that will scare a Vett This car will be street only, an maybe hit the track a couple times a year. I have started a rough build list. I will post up when its completed (I dont know if its my computer or the site but every time I search both Firefox and IE Lock up and close)
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Here is some honest advice, you'll probably ignore it, but I jsut have to mention it...

With teh way the economy is at the moment, it would be the absoloute worst time to spend a bunch of money you are inheriting. Buy some government bonds (one of the only safe investments) and sit on them until you run into a situation you REALLY need the cash for. Itis a scary time financially for the country and will only get worse before it gets better...

If you still want to do what you want to your car, do it sanely, in other words, figure out what it will cost for you to do what you want, then only use 1/2 of the cost from the inheritence. Force yourself to save the other 1/2 and you will find out it will give you the time to properly plan things out and find the right place to do the work. In the end oyu will have a much greater appreciation for the vehicle, and you may end up just saving a bit on the work by only spending what you need to to reach your goals.

Far too many places love the poor guy that comes into some cash and will help in spending EVERYTHING you got. Whether it gets you to were you want to go, or even if your budget is higher than what would 'normally' be needed you will be duped into spending it all... Seen it many times and many people underwhelmed with the end result, all because they wanted to "SPEND IT NOW"...

Take your time, balance your options and don't ever mention REALLY what you available budget is. figure out what you really want/need, figure out what it shoudl cost, then use only that as the budget you tell a place and have them commit to delivering for that amount. Otherwise if you leave things as an 'open door', they will help you spend everything you got...

Not trying to deter you, just trying to be a voice of reason... Take it for what it's worth...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Here is some honest advice, you'll probably ignore it, but I jsut have to mention it...

With teh way the economy is at the moment, it would be the absoloute worst time to spend a bunch of money you are inheriting. Buy some government bonds (one of the only safe investments) and sit on them until you run into a situation you REALLY need the cash for. Itis a scary time financially for the country and will only get worse before it gets better...

If you still want to do what you want to your car, do it sanely, in other words, figure out what it will cost for you to do what you want, then only use 1/2 of the cost from the inheritence. Force yourself to save the other 1/2 and you will find out it will give you the time to properly plan things out and find the right place to do the work. In the end oyu will have a much greater appreciation for the vehicle, and you may end up just saving a bit on the work by only spending what you need to to reach your goals.

Far too many places love the poor guy that comes into some cash and will help in spending EVERYTHING you got. Whether it gets you to were you want to go, or even if your budget is higher than what would 'normally' be needed you will be duped into spending it all... Seen it many times and many people underwhelmed with the end result, all because they wanted to "SPEND IT NOW"...

Take your time, balance your options and don't ever mention REALLY what you available budget is. figure out what you really want/need, figure out what it shoudl cost, then use only that as the budget you tell a place and have them commit to delivering for that amount. Otherwise if you leave things as an 'open door', they will help you spend everything you got...

Not trying to deter you, just trying to be a voice of reason... Take it for what it's worth...
well put
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could pick up a forged shortblock, built and prepped for boost form a engine builder like Ellwein Engines or Golen Engines.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or if you are coming into a lot of will money like stating up above, get ATLEAST a 6 month safety net (assuming you lose your job for 6 months so you can still have that money and adjust to the changes)

My dad is a VP CFO of a bank and is a huge investment guy. I would tell you to get atleast a 6 month safety net before you drop tens of thousands into your car.

Build tranny
Build rear-end (Strange, Moser, Moto Fab)
Build bottom end (forged, good rotating assembly)
8.5-9:1 compression
Procharger
Good tune
LT's (preferably catless ), off-road y-pipe, magnaflow/gmmg/slp lm catback

Don't know of many shops in your area but thats a good list of what you should do
Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the reason why the economy isn't rebounding is because everyone is hoarding their cash instead of spending it like we always have. Spend the money and help get the economy back in the right direction!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spending the cash is buying from local businesses like lets say everyday products.. I don't think performance part stores account for it as much as lets say gas, grocery stores..

The issue is losing jobs and taking the necessary precautions. Developing a budget is never a bad thing... Spending all your money and maxing out credit cards is MUCH worse on tax payers and consumers in the long run
Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Advise, and I thank you for looking out. I already have many investments right now including bonds and CD's to name a few. And should something go wrong, I will be able to ride it out. Besides, I don't want to talk numbers over the internet. But a build like I mentioned is not even going to take out 4% of my total inheritance. I do plan on putting money away. I am going to put 85% of it away, Pay off a little debt with 5% (2% Build/3% Debt) and putting 10% in a college fund for my 4yo daughter

Last edited by ninjai_ruken; 02-20-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 AM
9 Second Club

If I were you i'd do a motor like this......

8.5:1 compression JE Pistons or similar high end blower slugs (diamond, JE, Wiseco, etc)

A good set of rods like Oliver, Lunati, Carillo (these are overkill but if you have the cash don't skimp on rods)

Forged stroker crank (Eagle, SCAT at a minimum) Lunati or Callies if money allows....

Block will to be machined for 4 bolt mains, bored .030 over, clearanced for stroker crank....

Bolt up a set of AFR 210's, or a set of the AI heads they're doing over there. But a complete top end kit from AI if you can with a matched intake.... Get some heads that will flow a bunch of air....

get a nice hydraulic roller blower cam, and top it with a good strong valvetrain. (you won't need shaft rockers, but get good pushrods, and roller rockers. comp makes some nice ones...

double roller timing chain, Electric water pump.... buy a brand new opti.... Get a 58MM throttle body.....

I think that just about wraps up a motor that will easily put out about 600-650 hp or more depending on how much boost you want to put to it.... that motor above with like 8-12 lbs of boost will make ALL of 650 HP at least..... with all the right bolt ons like long tubes, exhaust, and a good tune with some good gas and power could eclipse 700hp or more....

As far as reputable builders or who is the best not all of them are sponsors here so can't be listed... but there are a few places like golen that could probably satisfy your requirements for a build... I would just NOT go with your standard parts list that they put in those motors... if you want something to pound the streets with you might need more than just a "run of the mill" shortblock and need something a bit more custom.... call around to some race shops near you unless you really want to mail order/ship a motor like that....
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
Actually the reason why the economy isn't rebounding is because everyone is hoarding their cash instead of spending it like we always have. Spend the money and help get the economy back in the right direction!!!

I agree with what you're saying, however there is a time and place for everything....

I retired 10 months ago, OR about 2 months before the ecomomy took a big dump. My wife and I had our funds with the same brokerage house, and they were, up to that time, in fairly aggressive funds. When we retired, we moved our money into what were supposed to be "much safer" bond funds.

Nonetheless, when the "mortgage fiasco" hit, and took most of the economy with it, we still lost a LOT (think like $300K) of our reserves. At this point, we're still far from broke, but believe me, we've seriously pulled back on our spending. Yes, I know that it has a negative impact on the economy as a whole, and further fuels a downward spiral, but I can't help that. My first obligation is to keep my house in order.

Think it doesn't hurt, having to live this way? This time last year, I was thinking of what new car I was going to be ordering right about now, in order to have it for the spring weather. Instead, it looks like I'm going back to work part time, driving the parts truck for the local auto parts store.....
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Just a thought, he never stated that he was going to blow all of his money. Unless anyone here knows how much he's getting, who's to say that building this car the way he wants will even take a significant chunk of his money?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
(I dont know if its my computer or the site but every time I search both Firefox and IE Lock up and close)
it is not your comp ..search is borked
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking out credit and maxing it is a bad idea even in good economic standings!

Hey man! Build a sweet 383 from Golen with some Dart heads and a nice SR cam! Make a nice high 480-490rwhp car.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

at least get some kooks for your LT's. Also I would go turbo, turbo's are more efficient then super chargers.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree with what you're saying, however there is a time and place for everything....

I retired 10 months ago, OR about 2 months before the ecomomy took a big dump. My wife and I had our funds with the same brokerage house, and they were, up to that time, in fairly aggressive funds. When we retired, we moved our money into what were supposed to be "much safer" bond funds.

Nonetheless, when the "mortgage fiasco" hit, and took most of the economy with it, we still lost a LOT (think like $300K) of our reserves. At this point, we're still far from broke, but believe me, we've seriously pulled back on our spending. Yes, I know that it has a negative impact on the economy as a whole, and further fuels a downward spiral, but I can't help that. My first obligation is to keep my house in order.

Think it doesn't hurt, having to live this way? This time last year, I was thinking of what new car I was going to be ordering right about now, in order to have it for the spring weather. Instead, it looks like I'm going back to work part time, driving the parts truck for the local auto parts store.....
Yeah, I have really cut back on my spending also (sorry to hear about the loss). This is just a nice little present to myself because of that reason.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me send you my PayPal :]
Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I am glad this was said, as soon as I read your post I was thinking the same thing.

Depending on how much you are getting take a little bit of it and do with it what you like but dont spoil yourself too much. Take it from me, once its gone its gone. My father died when I was 15, when I turned 18 I recieved some $$$. WORST IDEA ever to give an 18 yr old large amounts of money. Guess who was in high school with 2 brand new cars (both custom), 2 brand new snowmobiles, a new motorcycle and a 38' power boat on the river... yeah that was me. Had a ton of fun and the ladies loved me but those days are over. Spent money like that for like 5 years. Makes me want to now because I really have nothing to show for it. I was smart enough to purchase a few rental properties and an apartment complex but still. Saved some money but could have retired in my late 30's if I played my cards right.
Moral of my story is dont blow it, save it for a rainy day or get an education. A wise man once told me there is only one thing that no one can take away from you... an education. He ended up dieing of Alzheimer's but its still good advise

If you decide you want to spend it then I would go with a D1SC Procharger, Calies rotating assembly, AFR heads (do research on valve springs), check around on a TB, some will open up under boost. Should be good for atleast 600RWHP

Do Splayed caps for sure if your boosting it

Last edited by nichols92; 02-20-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Go turbo!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Just a thought, he never stated that he was going to blow all of his money. Unless anyone here knows how much he's getting, who's to say that building this car the way he wants will even take a significant chunk of his money?

No, he didn't say how much he was getting, that's very true. But when you start saying things like 383 and ProCharger, and the rest of the upgrades the car will then need, you're talking a fair amount of money overall.

However, on the other hand, if by chance he was inheriting (sorry for your loss) several hundred thou, then the mods to the car would be little more than pocket change. But, it seems that the majority here were just being concerned for a fellow "car crafter", and suggesting a little caution, which isn't a bad thing....
Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

too bad you dont live closer, id say get your parts and bring it to my shop, love building cars, just a hobby but a dam fun one. regardless of how you spend remember you only live once

pretty much doing my z28 up the same as you want to do but keeping a stock bottom end for now, not going too wild on boost either, a conservative 12 psi for now

Quick Reply: Comming into some money