LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I am ready to blow up my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am ready to blow up my Camaro

Well, I finally got some front bumper support brackets from z28camarocarri on here and decided to pull the front bumper off to line it up better and install the brackets easier. Sounds easy right?

Well I started pulling the fender to bumper bolts out, which were rusted in place. Ended up putting too much force on the passenger side on and twisted the plastic causing it the paint to crack

So Im guessing since the paint cracked on the opposite side of the panel, I was pressing on the inside, the plastic is probably damaged and better off getting a new bumper.

I did try and line everything up just to see where I need to drill the holes in the core support for the bumper bracket to attach to and i still couldnt get the sides of the bumper to mount flush with the fenders

I give up, having my friend come over tomorrow and access the situation. He has to paint the hood too, so Im thinking of getting an ebay front bumper, having him paint the hood also and blending the fronts of the fenders since there are some spider web cracks going on the front of the fenders.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I think I will be ok, my buddy is coming over Sunday to look at the car and he might do the bumper along with the fronts of the fenders when he paints my hood.

Sorry, just needed to vent a little bit
Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh god do I know the feeling. My front clip has never really lined up right,so one day I decide im gonna pull it off and try to get it to look right. So I pull it off,mess with it for a bit and put it back on.

Happy with the results,I slam the hood on my pliers and screwdriver and lifted the left edge of my hood a little.

Talk about MAD,I have yet to find that screwdriver or pliers. I think I threw them clear to wisconsin,and aswell found out prostars don't budge when u kick them.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SHDY 5.7
Oh god do I know the feeling. My front clip has never really lined up right,so one day I decide im gonna pull it off and try to get it to look right. So I pull it off,mess with it for a bit and put it back on.

Happy with the results,I slam the hood on my pliers and screwdriver and lifted the left edge of my hood a little.

Talk about MAD,I have yet to find that screwdriver or pliers. I think I threw them clear to wisconsin,and aswell found out prostars don't budge when u kick them.
LOL, you have funny stories man, like the plugs in a trailor, lol.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Well, I finally got some front bumper support brackets from z28camarocarri on here and decided to pull the front bumper off to line it up better and install the brackets easier. Sounds easy right?

Well I started pulling the fender to bumper bolts out, which were rusted in place. Ended up putting too much force on the passenger side on and twisted the plastic causing it the paint to crack

So Im guessing since the paint cracked on the opposite side of the panel, I was pressing on the inside, the plastic is probably damaged and better off getting a new bumper.

I did try and line everything up just to see where I need to drill the holes in the core support for the bumper bracket to attach to and i still couldnt get the sides of the bumper to mount flush with the fenders

I give up, having my friend come over tomorrow and access the situation. He has to paint the hood too, so Im thinking of getting an ebay front bumper, having him paint the hood also and blending the fronts of the fenders since there are some spider web cracks going on the front of the fenders.
Just be glad it wasnt on the trans am, you'd also have to line up the pop up headlights
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
LOL, you have funny stories man, like the plugs in a trailor, lol.
Thank you lol. Saddest part of it is,they're all true. There are more then a few members in this section that vouch lol.

I never think,I just react or do.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

if you buy an aftermarket front clip check it out real good brfore you paint it, i didnt and i am not happy with it at all
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjab57
if you buy an aftermarket front clip check it out real good brfore you paint it, i didnt and i am not happy with it at all
Do you know the name of the company you got yours from?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

no i had a paint shop get it for me
Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

look at my sig you can see were it comes to a point on top next to the lights well the points on both sides are higher than the rest and it cant line up right
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Once these cars are wrecked or messed with and you dont use the original parts its near impossible to get the front end to line up perfect. Esp. the Trans Ams.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

My car was wrecked before i got it. The quarter was replaced and looks like they threw it at the car and it just happened to stick....so they painted it where it landed lol. So evrything from the bumper to the entire hatch is way off. But it seals and it looks good from a distance so what the hell....its a daily driven street warrior, especially how i drive lol i just wanna go fast!!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Once these cars are wrecked or messed with and you dont use the original parts its near impossible to get the front end to line up perfect. Esp. the Trans Ams.

agreed. i worked in a body shop and if we got aftermarket it NEVER fit right. no matter what. i am telling you spend the extra cash and get a GM bumper. twice i went with aftermarket and neither lined up right at all. the one the turn signal lens wouldn't even fit. get gm. you will regret it otherwise
Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cars = God's joke for humans.

I am upgrading my headlights to BiXenons. Well I go to work in the battery area and find the front lip hold down for the battery is snapped. SO i have to make a fancy bracket to hold that. Meantime the horns die. replace them. go to replace the turn signal bulb since im there and its dead.. the housing is melted!

THEN i remove the grill on the UltraZ Hood and crackle.. the paint gave way right in a corner. Now i know this is an existing problem from the first body shop that painted the hood. The hood took a good bit of work to get it to accept paint properly. I suspect since that was a recessed corner area it was hard to work on, and consequently moderately protected. Took about 4 years for it to get broken.

Event that set off this whole chain of problems? wreaking two wheels due to terrible F-body lighting.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

I dont even want to explain the not so good repair work on my Trans am. Not be me of coarse.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

yea my 95 T/A hood isnt lined up, its alil lower on the pass side and the light rubs when it gows up(not too bad but you can hear it and see the paint worn off) but i dont wannatry to get it perfect cause i've heard what a bear it is
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

goes**

Quick Reply: I am ready to blow up my Camaro