LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SBC/LT1/carb build need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC/LT1/carb build need help

Well im going to start building a motor next week and need some help. I have this stuff here and wanting to know if it will work. Stock 350 vortec block out of a 98 tahoe that I'm wanting to do a 383. Stock 95 LT1 heads will these work on that block? Also wanting to do a carb intake so what intake will work? I heard the cam in the vortec blocks are the same as all SBC so any cam I order for say a old school carb 350 should work?

Thanks for any help

P.S. this is all going in a old Datsun
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by strasser_3
Well im going to start building a motor next week and need some help. I have this stuff here and wanting to know if it will work. Stock 350 vortec block out of a 98 tahoe that I'm wanting to do a 383. Stock 95 LT1 heads will these work on that block? Also wanting to do a carb intake so what intake will work? I heard the cam in the vortec blocks are the same as all SBC so any cam I order for say a old school carb 350 should work?

Thanks for any help

I think it would be much easier to use SBC heads since you want to use a SBC block (I'm assuming that because I don't know if the 350 is reverse cooling or not) and a carb set up. That way you don't have to convert your heads and you don't have to get a special intake to use on LT1 heads. Any SBC cam will work with that block.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

The only heads I have are the cast vortec and I've heard that the LT1 heads are better. Either way im going to need a intake for a carb. Also I thought 93-94 did not have the reverse cooling if I find a set of heads cheap that way.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The only heads I have are the cast vortec and I've heard that the LT1 heads are better. Either way im going to need a intake for a carb. Also I thought 93-94 did not have the reverse cooling if I find a set of heads cheap that way.
'93-'94 LT1 heads? No, they too had reverse cooling.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you should probably post this up in the SBC section since that's basically what it's about. The heads will need too much work to be done before they'll work on a GEN I SBC, too much to make it worth your while. You'd be better off running the cast iron Vortec heads or the 85-91 Corvette Aluminum L98 heads. If you use the Vortec heads, make sure you either get the correct intake so it'll bolt up right,or have the one you plan on putting on there re-drilled.

If the Vortec block you're using is the old school style, and not one that looks like this (notice where the lifters go, huge difference) then you're OK as far as cams go. Just make sure that if you plan to use the roller setup, that you get a roller cam.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

sell the lt1 heads, and the vortec heads, and find a set of sbc heads used. keep it simple dude. you'll spend alot of money trying to convert the heads. when you could spend less on some aftermarket sbc heads that outflow the LT1 heads anyways for cheaper. bout 6 years ago I bought a set of trick flow alum twisted wedge heads off ebay for $400. ready to bolt on. deals like that are all over the place for sbc stuff.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for any help

The 1998 Vortec heads are comparable to the LT1 heads that you have (except for the fact that they are cast iron). To run them in a performance application I would suggest installing screw in studs and having the valve guide bosses cut for higher lift cams. I would not suggest the older Corvette heads as an upgrade. The newer "Fast Burn" heads are way better. The 1998 block will accept any cam that works in an LT1. You need to run the short dowel pin.

Good Luck,

Daren

Quick Reply: SBC/LT1/carb build need help