LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finishing up the 396, couple ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finishing up the 396, couple ???

I'm about ready to finish up my 396 project but I had some questions. First of there's a guy I know who is selling me a 4.3 baby LT1, I a wondering are pretty much all the bolts and external parts the same as the regular LT1? I needed some bolts from it, for example rear main seal bolts, bolts to intake mani, and maybe the ones to the pulleys. Next question is, do I have to angle torque the heads? and is it difficult? It said to angle torque them in the LT1/LT4 rebuild book. Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ricekiller28
I'm about ready to finish up my 396 project but I had some questions. First of there's a guy I know who is selling me a 4.3 baby LT1, I a wondering are pretty much all the bolts and external parts the same as the regular LT1? I needed some bolts from it, for example rear main seal bolts, bolts to intake mani, and maybe the ones to the pulleys. Next question is, do I have to angle torque the heads? and is it difficult? It said to angle torque them in the LT1/LT4 rebuild book. Thanks in advance
Yes, besides the displacement, it is identical.

Torque-angle torquing is a more acurate method of fastening anything because it uses bolt stretch, rather than torque alone to reach the required clamping force. For a 396, I wouldn't use anything short of ARP head studs though.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 03-13-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I heard of studs leaking if u dont do it right, would arp head bolts hold up?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then do it right.
ARP head studs > ARP head bolts > stock bolts
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Yes, besides the displacement, it is identical.

Torque-angle torquing is a more acurate method of fasting anything because it uses bolt stretch, rather than torque alone to reach the required clamping force. For a 396, I wouldn't use anything short of ARP head studs though.
It should be noted that this method is only to be used with torque-to-yield bolts (i.e., stock replacement).

ARP head bolts would work fine. IMO, studs are too much of a hassle when bolts will work just the same. If you use ARP head bolts, tighten them in sequence in 3 passes: 1st - 20lbs, 2nd - 45lbs, 3rd - 70lbs.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It should be noted that this method is only to be used with torque-to-yield bolts (i.e., stock replacement).

ARP head bolts would work fine. IMO, studs are too much of a hassle when bolts will work just the same. If you use ARP head bolts, tighten them in sequence in 3 passes: 1st - 20lbs, 2nd - 45lbs, 3rd - 70lbs.
I have seen TTY specs for stock bolts. Even though they don't actually stretch, it should still give a better, more consistent torque spec, than just using a standard torque wrench.

I have used both ARP bolts and head studs. Either one is better than stock. But from what I have read, the studs are better than the bolts for a more uniform clamping of the head to the block.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

My builder who did my 396 short block recommended ARP head bolts instead of studs. Their claim is studs will cause more core shift than bolts. I followed their advice, have bolts and all has been well. Granted I am not running any crazy cylinder pressure at this time. Just Cometic gaskets and all is well for over a year and counting.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
My builder who did my 396 short block recommended ARP head bolts instead of studs. Their claim is studs will cause more core shift than bolts. I followed their advice, have bolts and all has been well. Granted I am not running any crazy cylinder pressure at this time. Just Cometic gaskets and all is well for over a year and counting.
What cometic gaskets do you have? Thinner or thicker than stock?

You think felpro 1074's will hold up to a 200 shot nitrous, Or perhaps a little more?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

They are .039"
I'm sure the fel-pros will, but have no idea how long they'll last if you use a hit like that repeatedly.

Quick Reply: Finishing up the 396, couple ???