LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How strong are the internals on a vortec 350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How strong are the internals on a vortec 350?

I got a tahoe with a vortec 350 in it. I know the block is plenty strong but how bout the bearings? and rods and what not. I have made plenty of power with my LS1 in my Camaro stock but dunno much about lt1 syle engines strengths.
From what i have read it appears the heads flow poorly, cam isnt worth touching without heads and intake and obviously the ehaust will be going. Im not so much looking at what mods i should be doing in what order, more of a what happens if i strap a turbo on this and get it tuned? Is there even tuning for this style engine? (ie the vortec)
I know this is more of a LT1-LT4 area to post but i am betting that this is gonna resemble a lt1 soon enough. Thanks

John
Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The L-31 is quite strong!
My buddy had a Tahoe added 3.73 SS 454 rear,3000 stall,ZZ4 cam,headers true duals with hiflow cats and a 150 shot ran mid 12s on 20s
Old 03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
I got a tahoe with a vortec 350 in it. I know the block is plenty strong but how bout the bearings? and rods and what not. I have made plenty of power with my LS1 in my Camaro stock but dunno much about lt1 syle engines strengths.
From what i have read it appears the heads flow poorly, cam isnt worth touching without heads and intake and obviously the ehaust will be going. Im not so much looking at what mods i should be doing in what order, more of a what happens if i strap a turbo on this and get it tuned? Is there even tuning for this style engine? (ie the vortec)
I know this is more of a LT1-LT4 area to post but i am betting that this is gonna resemble a lt1 soon enough. Thanks

John
If I had to just throw a number out there, I'd say that it can take 450rwhp. Do you have a budget to build the bottom end?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand that its not an exact science to how much they can take before they blow. Good heads cam and tune will make more then just a good tune. With some sort of FI i am refering to. Although the thought of some nitrous is good. Maybe ill keep it cheap and go with that route.
The friend that you are refering to that put the SS rear in, I assume that he had a 2wd tahoe? As the 4wd would need that same gear ratio in the front.
I dont exactly have the money for a bottom end. It would be a spray and pray. The FI route would be with me using a turbo I have left over from the camaro and making a kit. I have all the parts needed save for some exhaust piping. But prolly all a pipe dream.
Thanks for the input!

John
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, the stock intake limits right around 350-375 due to the spider injector setup inside the intake.
ive seen a few guys run the vortec marine style intake with minor mods with great success. You should do a search over at the full size chevy forums. lot of good info there.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny those crappy Vortec heads are one of the most popular upgrades for older smallblocks. Hugely popular in budget racing classes too.

I would say don't waste anyone's time because you already wrote off the whole setup as junk without any idea what you are talking about. It is not an LT1 either.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Funny those crappy Vortec heads are one of the most popular upgrades for older smallblocks. Hugely popular in budget racing classes too.

I would say don't waste anyone's time because you already wrote off the whole setup as junk without any idea what you are talking about. It is not an LT1 either.
crappy heads?
they are one of the best sbc gm heads ever made.
they were even designed after the b-body lt1 head.

they need some work to run higher lift cams. spring seats need to be cut bigger, and the valve seal stems need to be cut down.

aaron
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
crappy heads?
they are one of the best sbc gm heads ever made.
they were even designed after the b-body lt1 head.

they need some work to run higher lift cams. spring seats need to be cut bigger, and the valve seal stems need to be cut down.

aaron
He was saying that they aren't crappy, and they're darn good! That's why so many people use them.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Thanks for the input!! I thought it was obvious that i didnt know what I was talking about. I came in here asking questions. Not making statements. I dont recall saying its junk. I just asked if it was stable at power or if there was a major weak link. Thanks everyone!!

John

Quick Reply: How strong are the internals on a vortec 350?