LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rant about AC Delco plugs LOL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rant about AC Delco plugs LOL!!!!

I've been having some issues with the car fouling out plugs and once I got my new tune I figured Id just clean my old fouled TR55 Platinums and see how the car runs. It drove perfect at part throttle but once I went WOT the car started running like ****. Figured it was my old plugs so I bought some AC Delco platinums ($5x) and threw them on. Even before I ragged on it the car it ran rough with a slight stumble then once I hit WOT the car ran worse than before. Now Im out $5x and the car still runs like crap LOL!!!

I've got some Iridium TR55's that a friend gave me and Im gonna throw them on this week to see what it does. Also gonna disconnect the O2's to rule that out since all of my ignition system is brand new. Sorry for the rant but....

DON'T YOU JUST HATE LT1 IGNITION PROBLEMS
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It probably something other than the plugs.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah Im sure it is but for some reason those AC Delcos ran crappy compared to my old TR55's. Gonna throw on the other set and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lt1 ignition systems work very well, i don't see how it can be blamed for this situation, what are you gapping the plugs to?
I have not had any issues with my Lt1 5 years of satisfaction, 1 opti thus far
i use GM opti,coil,icm, taylor wires and ngk tr-55 plugs
Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by street demon2k3

DON'T YOU JUST HATE LT1 IGNITION PROBLEMS
Problems yes, but the ignition itself no.

Its the same as a gen I sbc but the distributor "opti" is below the pump only bad thing.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, I know the LT1 ignition system is good but I can't seem to track down my problem. Im going to ditch my MSD coil for an OEM one, and replace the O2's. I dont see any reason why the car runs fine at part throttle then craps when I beat on it.

I've got an AC Delco opti, MSD wires, MSD coil, and always have fresh plugs. It definately runs better with my 30lb inj and MadZ tune, but the damn plugs foul everytime I go WOT. I know all my ignition system is new and there is no arcing at the coil or the plugs. Im leaning towards the O2's at this point since I don't know if they were ever replaced by the previous owner.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmm, I know the LT1 ignition system is good but I can't seem to track down my problem. Im going to ditch my MSD coil for an OEM one, and replace the O2's. I dont see any reason why the car runs fine at part throttle then craps when I beat on it.

I've got an AC Delco opti, MSD wires, MSD coil, and always have fresh plugs. It definately runs better with my 30lb inj and MadZ tune, but the damn plugs foul everytime I go WOT. I know all my ignition system is new and there is no arcing at the coil or the plugs. Im leaning towards the O2's at this point since I don't know if they were ever replaced by the previous owner.
Well I hope you figure it out. I'd just stick to regular TR55's and not get the Iridium's.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

The o2's will not change you're fuel delivery at WOT, but if they havent ben changed to you should do them anyways. Its more likely your coil or Ign module is failing. A weak spark will definately cause issues under high load situations but the car may seem to run fine otherwise.

I also agree on the regular NGK's. I don't waste my money on platinum or iridium.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

I bought some Autolites and month later it fouled 1 out i put the Factory AC Delco back in and it ran like normal.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
what are you gapping the plugs to?
Thought you weren't supposed to gap plugs like the platinum and iridiums?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So you really think stock heat range platinums are right for a modified engine?

You seem to think platinum is good for something other than longevity too.

Seems to me the wrench is a bigger problem than parts quality.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

For what its worth I ran an autolite in my blower car and it ran horrible, changed to a A/C delco (only change, same gap) and it ran great.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Just run the regular cheapie TR55's, laugh at the cashier as they grab them and tell you the car won't run right on them. Check the gap on them, last set of them I bought were right out of the box though.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Update: I disconnected the O2's and the car runs fine now . I bought the AC Delco plugs since there are a lot of guys running OEM components with good results, so I figured Id do the same. Those Iridiums were free so I took them just to rule out that the plugs were crappy. Now I need new O2's LOL!!!!

I wasn't able to drive it around too much but it drives very smooth now. Even the small miss/stumble is gone when the engine is in the lower RPM. Glad I figured out the problem, but Im still going to buy an AC Delco coil just to be sure everything is in working order.

Quick Reply: Rant about AC Delco plugs LOL!!!!