LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Well I have some mod money now....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Well I have some mod money now....

I have about $600-$700 to spend and I wanted to redo my exhaust. Right now I have Mac mids, no cat, cutout, into a Magnaflow. All my other mods are listed in my sig. I want to redo it because honestly I think longtubes will benefit me down the road, plus the stainless ones are getting cheaper and cheaper (as you can see by the other thread I made earlier). Also the Magnaflow is just way to tame for me so the cutout is always open but it gets annoying sometimes too being under the floorboard and all.

Here are the 2 options I'm considering.
1.Buy stainless longtubes with Y pipe and 2 single chamber mufflers. From here I can use the Magnaflow I pipe and eliminate the muffler and just put the single chambers behind the bumper and exit out like factory.

2.Keep Macs but get a shop to fab up a set of true duals for me with single chambers. Only problem with this is I don't know what problems I would have later with removing torque arm or transmission. Also ground clearance might kill me.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I have about $600-$700 to spend and I wanted to redo my exhaust. Right now I have Mac mids, no cat, cutout, into a Magnaflow. All my other mods are listed in my sig. I want to redo it because honestly I think longtubes will benefit me down the road, plus the stainless ones are getting cheaper and cheaper (as you can see by the other thread I made earlier). Also the Magnaflow is just way to tame for me so the cutout is always open but it gets annoying sometimes too being under the floorboard and all.

Here are the 2 options I'm considering.
1.Buy stainless longtubes with Y pipe and 2 single chamber mufflers. From here I can use the Magnaflow I pipe and eliminate the muffler and just put the single chambers behind the bumper and exit out like factory.

2.Keep Macs but get a shop to fab up a set of true duals for me with single chambers. Only problem with this is I don't know what problems I would have later with removing torque arm or transmission. Also ground clearance might kill me.
Why not option one with an entire new cat-back? Not a fan of the chambered mufflers out the back.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money to buy new headers when you'll feel no improvement. A true-dual exhaust would be sweet, but there's no horsepower gain and it's not worth all the hassle, especially when you already have a nice exhaust as is.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the way chambered mufflers sound, just personal preference of course. I could option out a new catback all together but I want something louder and out the back of the car. Like I said the cutout is nice but being under the floor and right by the passenger window it gets annoying sometimes. The Magnaflow is nice but it's too mellow for my tastes.

As for the longtubes I just want them for later down the road. I have seen tests where Mac mids flowed just as much as longtubes so I know I'm not losing anything in the power department. I just want them for later if I ever go 383. Plus they are stainless.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd go with option 1, but keep the cut out and Magnaflow. You can be mild when you want to be, and crazy when the time calls for it. Magnaflow + LT's sound great.

Quick Reply: Well I have some mod money now....