LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this normal?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal?

I was thinking about taking my stock catback off and just sticking a flowmaster single chamber on the end of the Y pipe... so I get under there to look...

From the back of the cat all the way to the muffler it is just one single pipe. That isn't the way my LS1 was... It's welded to the cat, then bends towards the center of the car, gets near the driveshaft and turns straight back and goes up and over the axle to the catback. Were LT1's like that, or is something weird here?

I'm not really sure what to do now because one of the main things I liked about that plan was I wouldn't have to destroy anything.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes that is right for LT1 cars to have the pipe run next to the drive shaft. About the only muffler you can "stick" on the end of the y-pipe is a bullet type muffler. You can put a flowmaster in there but it will require some fabrication of the exhaust
Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Is it normal for it to be one single pipe right off the end of the cat (welded to it) all the way to the catback?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Is it normal for it to be one single pipe right off the end of the cat (welded to it) all the way to the catback?
Yup. Then two exits off the muffler, I thought this is how LS1's were also.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
All the 98+ exhaust I'm seeing, even most aftermarket stuff, single pipe just like the 93-97. I've not seen what the setup on the 98+ looks like though, and I'm not at work to look at the exhaust book to check. Either way, your LT1's is normal.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your z28 is a 93-95 it will have a single cat setup, all 96-02 fbodies have dual cat like you're used to
Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what your talking about though with the cat being welded to it i dont think it is normal...somebody didnt clamp like it should have been done and they welded it...come out and i have a bunch of lt1 stuff..i could hook you up...i know exactly what your wanting to do...i live in crawfordsville so
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
what your talking about though with the cat being welded to it i dont think it is normal...somebody didnt clamp like it should have been done and they welded it...come out and i have a bunch of lt1 stuff..i could hook you up...i know exactly what your wanting to do...i live in crawfordsville so
Unless it's a band clamp, I'd rather have it welded (unless it's a shitty weld lol). I wouldn't say that clamping it is the "proper" way to go about it. If it is factory flanged, then either adapting the intermediate pipe with flanges or welding it off of the vehicle and bolting it up, would be what one should do. Then band clamp before crush clamp.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, that's what I was talking about basically. haha, what could you be "hooking me up" with?

Originally Posted by Formula350
Unless it's a band clamp, I'd rather have it welded (unless it's a shitty weld lol).
It is. Lol. I JB Welded around the seam too because it had some nasty leaks. Didn't smell so nice for a little while because of it, but now it's just fine and no more leaks
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

add the short dynomax Shotgun resonator. it will sound something like this. here is a vid of my iroc, which has LT's, 4" of crossover pipe, the shotgun resonator, dumped to the ground 90* right under the passanger seat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMXVUpqoNs
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

That is correct. Theyr welded to the collector. Kinda weird though, but it is stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this normal?