LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing a water pump on '95 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a water pump on '95 LT1

Hello everyone!

I have a water pump issue - it is leaking from the weep hole, but not all the time, most when I start the engine and after the engine is switched off. But the car started to drop much of the water and also it drops to the belt and my power steering fails in any moment of driving and thats is dangerous.

So I decided to not lose any of my expensive ShellZone coolant and to eliminate any road accident.
I want to replace my water pump. And now I need your advice and your great experience too!

I have seen some videos on youtube about how to change water pump on LT1 engine, all of them shoewd this process like very simple, but I'm new to this and still have more questions.
I will try to change my water pump under the sky, cause I have no any garage or pit. But I have a jack and jack stands to lift up any two corners of the car.
First of all I composed some simple list of parts to change within this procedure:
  1. Water pump with two A-style gasckets (they usually go with pump). Need advice which one to buy - ACDelco OEM or some more cheaper one, for example ACDelco Professional.
  2. I think I must have a new thermostate (standard 180 degrees) and a gasket for its housing. Also need to know quality brand.
  3. O-ring seal for the water pump shaft. I don't know one or two I have to change, please help me to understand.
  4. Tool for O-ring seal installation - J39087. Correct me if I am not right please.
  5. Accessory belt, cause I even don't know how much my running on the car. Need advice which one is good to go with.
  6. Also I want to replace my recovery tank, cause it is leaking form its joint, it is not so important but if my hands will become dirty, why not to do it. What do you think?
  7. Should I do sometging with my optispark? Replace or some service to it? It seems that it is working fine banging sparks to all eight. But my shellzone washed it well I think.
  8. Also it is a good chance to replace spark wires, cause this is too tricky with supercharger installed. Which is good to go with?
  9. Engine coolant temperature sensor that is in the pump. Mine is fine, but who knows will it survive the screwing out and in again in new pump.
So this is a small list of parts, and I need your advices and suggestions about what I've forgotten to list - part numbers will be the best, cause I need to order parts and have no ability to view it by myself in the shop (I'm from Ukraine).
Also I need to know what tools I must have to do the job - any wrenches (types, inch sizes or cm sizes), any special tools.
Another one question is about the fluids that I should use between pump and gasket and between gasket and the engine, between thermostate housing and its gasket and pump, between ECT sensor and pump. I really dumb in this question. So help me in advice.

And also any advice founded on your past expirience in this procedure.

And do I need to modificate weep hole on a new water pump to screw in something to divert coolant from washing my opti and belt? If so - how to do it the best, need your opinion.

Sorry for that long post, but I tried not to forget anything. And sorry for my English.

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited by Novo; 06-06-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Without knowing the year or make of your vehicle, it's hard to recommend parts but the following are for a 95 Camaro 5.7L V8

- Spark Plug Wires - ACDELCO 718G or 9718G (Professional)
- Optispark - ACDELCO 19212300 (if available)
- Timing Cover Gasket set - MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ JV1154 (Includes Water pump seals, Opti-Spark seals, Crank-hub seals, water pump drive seal)
- Water pump seal - DORMAN 603116
- Thermostat - ACDELCO 131100
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Oh, I'm sorry, something wrong with my signature on this forum. I have a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with AT4 and Powerdyne supercharger. So your recommendations are good for my car!
But I have one more question...

DORMAN 603116 - stands for reservoir tank and not for water pump seal. Am I right?

Last edited by Novo; 06-06-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Buy this service book. It will be very helpful in your water pump swap and other service issues you may have with the car

Amazon Amazon

Get the FelPro Front Timing Cover gasket & seal kit. It will have more gaskets than you need but will have the WP gaskets, front timing cover seals and the O rings for the WP drive splines. The part # is: TCS 45956

Use this RTV sealant between the gaskets for the WP & engine block. Just use a thin coat

Amazon Amazon

AC Delco is a good replacement water pump. You use your thermostat & housing from your old water pump. Or just buy a new thermostat and use your old housing. The thermostat comes with a new seal. You don't use any sealant on it

Amazon Amazon

Re-use the WP sensor

On the opti spark, if it is working good, just remove the cap and then rotor to see if there is any coolant or crud inside. Carefully clean it and re-assemble using blur Loc-tite on the hreads of the small rotor screws.

If the cap & rotor have worn you can replace them with a MSD cap & rotor

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...t/model/camaro

The J tool # you posted is the Kent Moore factory tool to install the wp drive seal....not cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-T...MAAOSwnKFYRhJk

Get this one instead

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-J-39089-TO...kAAOSwBLlU9onF

don't use grease or oil on the WP or Opti seals. They install "dry". Use a deep socket the size of the outer measurement of the seal once you use the tool to push it on by hand, just tap in the rest of the way gently using a deep socket over the tool tapping it in with a small hammer. When you slide the seal on the tool you want to make sure the seal lip that faces the engine does not fold over. You will have a immediate oil leak if it does.

route the new spark plug wires exactly as they are in stock wire brackets and looms

Quick Reply: Replacing a water pump on '95 LT1