LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

things to replace with lt4 hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default things to replace with lt4 hot cam

Hey guys I think I am going to pull the engine so I can work on it. I have a lt1 with a cracked head. So I got my a set of used 561 heads(I Know they are not the best) a lt4 hot cam kit with the springs already on the heads and a cloyes timing set. The heads only have 50k on them so and with the price of everything they came out to 70 bucks. Anyways I know I need to change my water pump out and the optispark. New cam bearing are going to be put in because we are that far and the engine has 156k on it. The rear main seal needs to be changed so that will be done also. I need to know a few things for sure. One is what pushrods should I use with the lt4 hotcam kit. Another is should I just repalce my lifters with stock ones. Will the car need to be tuned right away or can you drive it for a while. Is there anything that I should replace since I will be right there?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

with that many miles i would for sure replace those lifters. you could go with ls7 lifters as a little upgrade or get a new set of stockers but without a doubt replace your originals with that many miles...

pushrods, i know trick flow makes a good cheap CM pushrod. Lots of people go with those. Just be sure to measure twice and order once

If your gonna change out the WP why not just get and electric one? there are some hp to be gained with just swapping in an EWP.

Opti- don't go with anything but GM

Tune- it should run on stock tune but to gain everything you could i would get a tune. both madtuner.com and pcmforless will have tunes for the Hotcam as it is such a common cam,

Hope i covered all you asked! good luck with the swap!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

How would you measure pushrods?
Also what is the going rate on an eletric waterpump.
As for the opti I know to go with gm. Our caprice has one with 118k on it with no problems
Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a pushrod length checker.

Scroll down
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=4&pcid=106
Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get new springs before replacing the lifters based on mileage alone.

People around here jump on the new lifter bandwagon WAY WAY too fast, inspect them and if they are OK put the money somewhere useful like replacing the LT4 springs with something good. They are insufficient for the heavier LT1 valves the LT4 had light valves.

In all likelyhood the stock 7.200 length pushrod will be fine but checking the length would not hurt.

IMO electric pumps should be left to cars where you are looking for every last tenth at the drag strip. They free up power by moving less water and their failure mode is sudden and complete stopping as opposed to the slow weep the mechanical does giving you warning before it leaks badly, still turning all the while.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Well the lt4 springs from the hot cam are already installed on the heads. So I am going to keep them. This is going to be a daily driver with a trip to the drag strip once in a while. Will probably order some 7.200 inch push rods. As for the water pump I am just going to get a stock one. Lifters ill pull them and check them out. I think my dad wants to buy me a new set anyways so ill just get some ls7 ones.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

I am telling you, your money would be better spent on springs than lifters.

The "always replace lifters" mentality is straight out of the flat tappet days which ended more than 20 years ago in GM V8 cars. Starting in 87 I believe it was the small block Chevy was roller ready, they still put flat tappets in some of those blocks, mostly in trucks for a few years after that.

I have never bought lifters for an LT1, never even handled a new lifter for an LT1, but my car seems to run just fine. As do the handful of friend's cars I have guided the builds on.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I am telling you, your money would be better spent on springs than lifters.

The "always replace lifters" mentality is straight out of the flat tappet days which ended more than 20 years ago in GM V8 cars. Starting in 87 I believe it was the small block Chevy was roller ready, they still put flat tappets in some of those blocks, mostly in trucks for a few years after that.

I have never bought lifters for an LT1, never even handled a new lifter for an LT1, but my car seems to run just fine. As do the handful of friend's cars I have guided the builds on.
^^^This guy knows what he is talking about. I would suggest you listen.
Why would you risk valve float? So they are already installed on the head...uninstall them and get new springs. Comp 918's or PAC 1218's will do fine.
I too am running on stock lifters with my cam-only build w/ no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

He doesn't even need springs that expensive.

Been some Howard's Cams part numbers thrown around on forum recently that would work well for far less than those lifters would cost. Beehives will cost twice what the lifters would have.

Quick Reply: things to replace with lt4 hot cam