LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Question

Ok for a while now i have had a ticking coming from my passanger side valve cover and i thought i was a loose rocker and finally got time to tighten them..well ticking is stil there so now i believe its a lifter. My question is are the lifters able to be pulled by just taking the intake off and not the heads.

Its a really fast tick that can be heard when park in a garage or when driving next to road barriers or other cars. The higher the rpm the faster teh sound gets. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah just take off the intake manifold, remove rockers, and pushrods for the lifters.

also make sure your header bolts are tight before you start taking apart your engine. loose header bolts or an exhaust leak can also cause a tick sound

this is what you will see when you take it off. just remove the spider tray and the dog bones and slide the lifters out

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 03-05-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
yeah just take off the intake manifold, remove rockers, and pushrods for the lifters.

also make sure your header bolts are tight before you start taking apart your engine. loose header bolts or an exhaust leak can also cause a tick sound

this is what you will see when you take it off. just remove the spider tray and the dog bones and slide the lifters out

alright cool thats what i thought i was...should be to bad so next week is spring break so probably tear apart then
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly. Check for exhaust leaks first...then if you absolutely sure that it is not an exhaust leak or a rocker, then you can remove the intake and replace the lifters. You can get some LS7 lifter from the dealership. You'll need to verify proper pushrod length before you button it all back up.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly. Check for exhaust leaks first...then if you absolutely sure that it is not an exhaust leak or a rocker, then you can remove the intake and replace the lifters. You can get some LS7 lifter from the dealership. You'll need to verify proper pushrod length before you button it all back up.
yea i had my engine rebuild teacher check my rockers at school last night and there was really no play in them so he tightened them just a bit and the noise was still there... and if it was an exhaust leak wouldnt it get louder the fast i went?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not necesarly, an exhaust leak by the header or manifold will give a ticking sound like a loose rocker. i figure its easier to check 6 header bolts on each side, then it is to take off the intake and not have the lifter be the problem, ya know.

it could even be the EGR tube that connects to the back passenger side header causing the noise or leak. Do you have headers or are you stock?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

not necesarly, an exhaust leak by the header or manifold will give a ticking sound like a loose rocker. i figure its easier to check 6 header bolts on each side, then it is to take off the intake and not have the lifter be the problem, ya know.

it could even be the EGR tube that connects to the back passenger side header causing the noise or leak. Do you have headers or are you stock?
Yeah, check the header bolts, check the sparkplugs, check the egr tube...basically check anywhere a leak could be. And the ticking will trace RPM, but doesn't necessarily have to get louder.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

ok yes thats exactly what it does...the higher the rpm the faster the sound gets. I do have pacesetter headers also so tomorrow ill check all that and hope its just a loose bolt
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97 Trans Am ws6
ok yes thats exactly what it does...the higher the rpm the faster the sound gets. I do have pacesetter headers also so tomorrow ill check all that and hope its just a loose bolt
you figure this out? i have this same issue and i have tried my *** off to figure it out
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

guys, from the sound it self u can recognise if its an exahust leak or metal stubbing on metal , its really not that hard to distinguish between the two,,,,anyways, in ur case (97 Trans Am ws6) if the ticking is not getting louder but faster as u drive ,i believe it could be the lifter as u said cuz i had the same issue few years back, incase if its the lifter then there is high chance that it has damaged the cam as well, imo its better to also pull out the cam and check,,,,, if so, then its time to invest into a new cam/valve train setup ,,good luck

Quick Reply: Lifter Question