LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

porting the lt1 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting the lt1 intake manifold

will i see any gains from gsket matching and opening up the intake runners? is is even worth it to mess with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will probably see a loss from gasket matching, if you don't know what you are doing it's best to just leave it alone.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Don't match to gaskets, you'll hurt velocity.
The instake runners should match the head intake ports (which are liminted by the pushrod pinch)

Here is some good info Lloyd posted here a while back.
he intake port of the heads should not be gasket matched either. You can match the roof, floor and center divider wall but the outer walls just need to be squared up and NOT layed back to the gasket.

Once you open up the push rod pich as far as you can, you want the outer wall to come strait back and keep the cross section as consistant as possible.

Laying the outer wall back to the gasket will do a 2 things . . . .

1 - Make the cross sectionsal areas at the PR pinch and gasket area have more of a variance causing more of a velocity change (faster at PR pinch and slower at gasket area) and hurting flow.

2 - Make the air have to see even more of a turn to go past PR pinch and hurt flow.

You want the gasket areas on the intake manifold and head to match but they do NOT need to match a gasket on the outer wall. If someone ported the heads and gasket matched them and they are all jacked up, I guess the damage is done and gasket matching the intake will not hurt any but if the heads were done correctly and NOT gasket matched, the intake doesn't need to be either.

When you measure in the intake, you will see the gasket area is pretty much the largest area and the last place to grind when trying to help flow. Measure every 1/2 inch or so up through the runner and you will see it gets smallest at the ski slope for the inj. THIS is the one area you want to grind on if you are only gonna grind on one area. Try and get the cross section at this point to match the cross section at the PR pinch and even bigger if possible. Once you have this measurement, try and keep the port the same cross section from there to the gasket area on the intake and from the gasket area to the PR pinch of the head. Once you understand this is what needs to be done, you realize opening the gasket area on the intake and head will make these areas bigger than the 2 restriction areas, you understand why it is wrong.

The gasket areas are NOT the restrictions and the PR pinch and ski slope of intake are.
You want to raise the roof of the intake just behind the inj and remove as much of that ski slope as you can.

You want to have the port steadily get wider as it goes back to plenum area and have it end up about .100-.120 wider at the plenum area.

Lower the floor (NOT at gasket area) all the way to plenum and correct the angle that the ports on the intake and head match up. It is more of an L shape now and you need to straiten this out.

Open the TB holes up to 58 MM and grind down the IAC bump and make the TB holes go strait back by removing a lot of this hump. Then taper the bump smaller and round the bump off on the back side like an air plane wing. Remove a lot of material from the sides of the intake behind the TB holes and make it slowly taper to the rest of the intake. Make sure and look/feel on the outside of the intake and see where the thin spots are that will limit what you can do.
I just put mine in a box and had mine port it along with the heads LOL
Much easier.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Restricted User

ya, i was thinking about opening the intake up around the injector a little and i was going to try and make the intake match the heads as much as possible.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kalebm22
ya, i was thinking about opening the intake up around the injector a little and i was going to try and make the intake match the heads as much as possible.
On a stock or near stock car, you will likely very little gain on the dyno and feel nothing SOTP.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Restricted User

so i would feel very little gain even with the cc503 and full bolt ons?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kalebm22
so i would feel very little gain even with the cc503 and full bolt ons?
If done right, you might notice something.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If done right, you might notice something.
ok, i will have the intake off when puttting the cam in so i figure i will do what i can to open it up.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AI and others now offer porting work, dont listen to people who tell you there is no gains.

It depends on were your porting though
Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gasket matched my intake. wasnt to bad. took me along time tho because i really didnt feel like ******* anything up and scrapping or welding up what i had done wrong

Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

For $200 send it to Lloyd. If you don't have a properly ported model to copy, you're prolly best to leave it be, just like heads. I wouldn't even touch em unless I understood completely what areas need work and had the proper tools for measuring and cutting.

James

Quick Reply: porting the lt1 intake manifold