LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

It's official Big cubed LTX block

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ONEBAD383STROKER
I dont know how these blocks will be but the sbc dart blocks show up to 40 hp over factory blocks.
Originally Posted by Puck
Lol wtf? .

Power is made in the heads and cam, period. Adding more cubes will shift the power curve but only do little for peak numbers assuming all else stays equal. The gain comes from larger bores and more cubes to allow the use of better flowing heads and more aggressive cams, not just having a new block.

For an easy to understand, oversimplified example, a cam that is big enough to make a 355 idle like garbage and run like crap may be right at home in a street driven 427.
It's true. I've seen it on numerous occasions that a stronger block that has less bore distortion while under power provides better ring seal and more power. So yes, a aftermarket block can and will make more power under the right circumstances.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
It's true. I've seen it on numerous occasions that a stronger block that has less bore distortion while under power provides better ring seal and more power. So yes, a aftermarket block can and will make more power under the right circumstances.
Agreed!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
This is like the old 4/7 swap theory. Maybe at an insane power level you will see gains in power over the factory piece, but for most anything that you can drive on the street, you aren't going to gain 40hp.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Agreed, tho I thought that's what pnyhtr meant.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
This is like the old 4/7 swap theory. Maybe at an insane power level you will see gains in power over the factory piece, but for most anything that you can drive on the street, you aren't going to gain 40hp.

People have diffrent views of a "street car"
Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so what? I think that 750rwhp or so is streetable and you won't see 40hp at that level from a new block. Between splayed and a half fill you can get a lot out of a factory piece. My issue is that I've put a 400 sleeve in a stock block so I pretty much have no deck left. I'm just hoping my heads can hold it together
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, so what? I think that 750rwhp or so is streetable and you won't see 40hp at that level from a new block. Between splayed and a half fill you can get a lot out of a factory piece. My issue is that I've put a 400 sleeve in a stock block so I pretty much have no deck left. I'm just hoping my heads can hold it together
My point exactly. I bet you could count the LTXs who encounter cylinder distortion on one hand. It just is not a problem usually with LTXs, and for 99.9% of builds you will not gain power switching blocks due to block twist.

It is already a very strong piece from the factory, and the majority of us will be switching to the Dart piece for the extra cubes, not for extra strength.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
My point exactly. I bet you could count the LTXs who encounter cylinder distortion on one hand. It just is not a problem usually with LTXs, and for 99.9% of builds you will not gain power switching blocks due to block twist.

It is already a very strong piece from the factory, and the majority of us will be switching to the Dart piece for the extra cubes, not for extra strength.
Agreed, but the extra strength is like a little bonus.

And if the block requires a 2 piece crank us t56 guys can always use the centerforce flywheel, but I'd like to use an aluminum flywheel when I make a swap, so that may be out if they have to use the 2 piece crank, but I don't really see the need to.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Just an FYI, Findanza and McLeod both make a 2-piece pattern flywheel that will work with the T56 as well. I'm running a McLeod Twin Disk setup in my BBC/T56 cmombo.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My issue is that I've put a 400 sleeve in a stock block so I pretty much have no deck left. I'm just hoping my heads can hold it together

What outside diameter and length sleeve did you put in? Was it a siamesed or non sleeve? Pictures?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

At first, I had mixed feeling about this block. It's definately a positive for LTX potential, but my biggest disappointment is this block did not come out sooner. Some members' here brought up some good points about its actual function. If the potential of this block needs an aftermarket manifold and heads to reach optimal performance, then why not go with a traditional block that can yield a higher number of cubic inches?

For the interim, I see this block best utilized for the person who's looking to use the factory manifold with aftermarket heads--which will result in a decent street engine.

An aluminum version of this block would be great, but it begs the question of why someone would not go with an LSX type platform.

Simply stated: This block will improve the LT platform, but given its shortcomings juxtaposed to new technology, it will likely be most appreciated by those seeking nostalgia.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Built LT1
At first, I had mixed feeling about this block. It's definately a positive for LTX potential, but my biggest disappointment is this block did not come out sooner. Some members' here brought up some good points about its actual function. If the potential of this block needs an aftermarket manifold and heads to reach optimal performance, then why not go with a traditional block that can yield a higher number of cubic inches?
I'm only speaking for myself, but the added headache of doing a single plane conversion and making it fit is a big deterrant as well as not being able to use the factory PCM. This block will literally be a swap piece, nothing special or one off and plugs right in with the factory equipment.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
What outside diameter and length sleeve did you put in? Was it a siamesed or non sleeve? Pictures?
I'm not sure of the specifics. I know it's a wet sleeve and will turn the block into a siamese block. I have two LTx blocks in the backyard and told the builder when he has some spare time to cut it up and put a 400 sleeve in it. If I had to guess, the sleeve OD is probably close to 4.4. No pictures, but I'll call today and see if he's done anything.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...64&postcount=1

So I reckon the correct question is IF it is a two-piece setup, then what can be done with the T-56 people...
Its a fly wheel change.....no big deal...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see a conventional port location reverse cooled 18* head to bolt on this.

Is it Brodix who makes the 18X head?

THEEEEENNNNNN we would be getting somewhere. Conventional headers would fit. Dont car about valvetrain location/offset..buy what ya need.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Ram already has the alum. flywheels made up for this block. problem solved
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Y BE AVG
Ram already has the alum. flywheels made up for this block. problem solved
Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

I'm only speaking for myself, but the added headache of doing a single plane conversion and making it fit is a big deterrant as well as not being able to use the factory PCM. This block will literally be a swap piece, nothing special or one off and plugs right in with the factory equipment.
Well considering that you would probably buy a new set of heads and send them out to be ported, converting a single plane would be nothing to do.

Roadtrips car has a set of ported darts and a single plane and got a custom solid roller for just over $3k

And why couldn't you use the stock PCM? Sure running it with a fast would be alot better, but I'm sure the stock PCM will run it to a certain point. But if I did the block I would run a crank trigger and a distrubitor and probably run the stock PCM with a FAST XFI or mabye the full fast kit
Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With more cubes you could run the stock PCM for longer since peak power would come down in RPM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure of the specifics. I know it's a wet sleeve and will turn the block into a siamese block. I have two LTx blocks in the backyard and told the builder when he has some spare time to cut it up and put a 400 sleeve in it. If I had to guess, the sleeve OD is probably close to 4.4. No pictures, but I'll call today and see if he's done anything.
It definetly sounds interesting. I doubt it because of the wet sleeves, but if it is relatively affordable it might be another option. Putting a sleeve in a traditional SBC isn't that big of a de. I would love to have more info on or pictures of this.

Quick Reply: It's official Big cubed LTX block