LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shakedown dyno runs w/ AI H/C (stock shortblock)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shakedown dyno runs w/ AI H/C (stock shortblock)

A couple weeks ago we took the Camaro to a local dyno day. It put down some pretty good numbers considering the tune needs a little work.

Here is the rundown of the combo:
T56/10bolt/3.42's/17"Zo6s w/ 275/40/17s
Stock shorblock (back yard rebuild with new rings, bearings, ARP rod and head bolts)
AI 200CC Stock Lt1 heads
AI custom cam 23x/23x 56x/57x 108lsa
Supporting valvetrain
58MM BBK TB
CSR EWP
1 3/4 pacesetter LT's W/ ORY
Magnaflow cat back (no cut out)
39lb 03 Cobra injectors (w/ev6-ev1 adapters)
autolite 104's gapped at .035
brand new GM optispark
95 OBD PCM / 95 knock sensor
Mail order tune
K&N CAI (have SLP ls1 lid and box that will be modded to fit car soon)

I am very happy with what it put down considering the RICH tune, not having a cutout, and the half *** rebuild job. I origionaly had no intention on putting the H/C on the stock shortblock. The car was origionally a six banger.
and I swapped in a stock 97 LT1/m6 set up in it. The plan calls for a forged 383 with this H/C set up. I did not want to do a "build" and a swap at once and deal with chasing down gremlins.

When I started to get the 130K mile LT1 ready for the install, I attempted to turn it over with a breaker bar and it only turned about a 1/4 turn and locked up. I pulled the heads and found water in one of the cyls, along with some rust. The enging was pulled out of a wreck and had been sitting for about two years.
Ron from AI strongly recomended that I deck and torqueplate hone the block for the rebuild. BUT I was not planning on putting that much into the stock shortblock which was temporary and the 383 build was not going to be started for quite some time.
So I did the backyard dingleball hone, new rings, bearings, arp head and rod bolts (did not re size).

I was concerened about it having proper ring seal. But after a little break in it was performing better then I expected.

I got the car running with no issues. The only mods were full exhaust, CAI, and an EWP. It ran a 13.1 @ 107 and put down 292/321.
Bolt on dyno numbers

bolt on lt1 track times

I spoke with Ron about its performance and he agreed that it seemed to be running as it should and I would probably be OK with putting the H/C set up on the current motor.

Well here are the results with the H/C (so far):

I just recieved this graph today. I was waiting for it before I contacted the tuner about making some Changes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSCKqOY3m-0

With a correct A/F ratio and a cut out, does it look like 420-430 is doable?

BTW, this is the car/build that stirred up the lt1 section for a few hours about a possible "cam only record"

cam-only-lt1-makes-396-hp-record.html
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cutout and a tune should pick up tons of power. That thing is off the charts rich.

I'm looking forward to your tuned numbers.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow---RICH!!! I'd agree that another 20 HP is left in there.

Last edited by 94Z28rag; 06-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not used to seeing people peg the wideband on the dyno You'll defiantly see some pretty large gains with a dynotune and cutout.

You are going to get it dyno tuned right?

Last edited by speed_demon24; 06-01-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm not used to seeing people peg the wideband on the dyno You'll defiantly see some pretty large gains with a dynotune and cutout.

You are going to get it dyno tuned right?
LOL. I'm going to data log and see if we (the tuner and I) can get the A/F straight.

I was planning on getting it dyno tuned in the first place and was quoted higher prices to tune an N/A LT1 then I paid for a forced induction 18lb street and a 25lb race tune in my 96 Cobra

I'll be installing a wideband 02 and gauge this week to verify the dyno's rich A/F.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Happy to see the car up and running. However, as others mentioned I would have a great deal of anxiety running the car with the fueling that far off. It is clearly killing it, torque and HP are both lower than we normally see. A competent tuner, ideally in person, is vital to your success. That is not to say that your current tuner is not, but there is only so much that can be done remotely. In instances where you're utilizing heads & cam at (what should be) 120hp over stock + bolt ons it is going to be improbable any mail order tune is going to be ideal.

With a proper tune you'll be shocked at how poorly it must currently be running. With adequate inlet/exh & proper tuning that setup typically manages 420-430hp & 375-390lb-ft SAE on the DJ's. Ensure your ignition/electrical systems are functioning properly & get on the tune before you hurt it!

Thanks & have fun!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

AI, Thanks for the reply. It has been a long road getting this car together. The plan changed along the way a couple times, lol. At first it was going to be a 185CC H/C car with the 541 heads on the stock shortblock. Then 200CCs on a 383. Now back to a stock shortblock (for now) with the 200CC's.

I spoke with Jeremy Formato about getting it dyno tuned today. There is a possibility of getting it done this friday. My main concern is getting it done by June 13th. I am planning on making a couple passes at a local track rental. I still have a lot of work to do suspension and rear wise, so my short term goal is to break into the 11s with a soft 60ft.

Once I get the tunning squared away, my next set of mods will involve either fabbing an 8.8" rear (the torque arm mt WILL NOT be welded to the cast diff housing!), or an S60. really want A LOT of gear. If everything works out with he 8.8, I'll be able to experiment between 4.10, 4.30, and 4.56 gears rather inexpensively. If I end up with the S60 I'll probably split the difference and go with 4.30's (or whatever the closest gear available for the s60 is).
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Launching!

Getting it tuned wednesday.

I'll make sure to post the results.

Quick Reply: Shakedown dyno runs w/ AI H/C (stock shortblock)