LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

could use some help... get this i accidentally broke my turn signal arm off the colum

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry could use some help... get this i accidentally broke my turn signal arm off the colum

anyone know how to swap this out, i hope i can fix it, and not have to replace the entire column!

my pant leg caught it when i was stepping into the car over the door bar on the drivers side and snapped it clean off! fuc% !!!!!

any help is appreciated!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Launching!

You don't have to replace the entire column. If you're lucky, you may just have to replace the arm itself. But if you broke the signal switch, then you'll have to replace that. No need to do the entire column, but you'll have to take off the steering wheel and check to see what has happened to the switch itself.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the same thing happened to me. i was merging and i guess it got stuck, its always been sticky, and the switch just snapped.

I broke the switch itself, and even then I didn't have to replace the entire column, so you might only have to replace the arm, depending what broke. you should be good.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just take out the airbag/steering wheel and get it down to where the old lever used to be. Take what's left of the lever out (minding the wires) and put in a new lever.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

cool, i will get it apart in a day or so. thanks!!!
taner
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Just take out the airbag/steering wheel and get it down to where the old lever used to be. Take what's left of the lever out (minding the wires) and put in a new lever.
that being said. i have my are but my windshield washer button doesn't work. how exactly do you take the airbag and steering wheel off without popping the airbag or having to take it to a dealership so they can redo the airbag thing. i honestly have no idea where to start.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
cool, i will get it apart in a day or so. thanks!!!
taner
Taner, when you get inside, just check to make sure you signal cam is not cracked or you will have to do it all over again,
Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by irocchenault
that being said. i have my are but my windshield washer button doesn't work. how exactly do you take the airbag and steering wheel off without popping the airbag or having to take it to a dealership so they can redo the airbag thing. i honestly have no idea where to start.
What you want to do is take out the airbag fuse, then disconnect the negative battery terminal. Then I recommend you wait a few minutes (go take a crap or something), then come back and on the back side of the steering wheel, there are four bolts (I can't remember, maybe someone will chime in). Then it'll just come out. Simple enough. Only thing you HAVE to be sure of is to remove the fuse and disconnect the batter. And you should let it sit for a while. Nothing too long. Few minutes.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to the shbox.com site for details on undoing the airbag system. You need to follow it religiously b/c if you don't you might have the airbag light on forever

After you take the airbag out (it's held in with 2 T30 torx screws on the back side) there is a ~20mm nut the holds the steering wheel on. Remove the nut and then use a steering wheel puller in the only two places the bolts for the puller can go. After the wheel is off take out whatever you can (most likely the only thing you can remove is the airbag sensor inside the column) and then use a steering column compressor tool to push on the lockplate until you can get to the snap ring that holds the lockplate in place. After the lockplate is out you should be able to reach the turn signal cam, the key-lock cylinder, and the wiper blade arm!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

awesome thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh man... This just happened to me.. Looks like i got some work ahead of me..
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My accesory arm just looks worn and crappy. If its that easy to replace, I should probably do that. Is there a good place to pick one up besides a stealership?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This IS NOT an easy task and i reccomend a professional . At the very least you will need a repair manual. Have your new part in hand before disassembly..
Take care during dissassembly by remembering special pieces of the switch that you will reuse..as it also ties into the high beam switch. it is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle...
you will have to remove the wheel with a puller, compress the IGN lock wheel sprocket and remove its retainer ring with a pick type tool, reove the under dash/column trim plate, locate ABS coil connection under dash and disconnect , Remove the Airbag coil (pull slack in wiring up thru column just enough for room to work), dismount the switch cam and pull up slack in the wiring to gain room to work on the switch lever assembly , remove the trim @ the lever on the column locate the turn signal harness connection under the dash and unplug.

since the switch is deemed broken at this point and it is not repairable i suggest cutting off the plug to pull it up and thru the column just to get it outta the way ..mechanics wire or bent coat hanger wire will help you fish the new switches wire harness and plug down and thru the column...

I tell you this from having to do this...i not only had to remove and repair mine,but had to remove the new unbroken switch assembly from a junk yard car ...this switch is deep
I strongly suggest picking up a Haynes manual from auto zone to aid you as it also has pictures ...

Last edited by defaultexistence; 02-01-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
My accesory arm just looks worn and crappy. If its that easy to replace, I should probably do that. Is there a good place to pick one up besides a stealership?
This is not an easy fix IF the switch is infact broken...The arm however IS easily replaceable ...you simply remove the plastic trim @ the column just behind the arm where it go's into the column disconnect the small plug type connection ,grab the lever firmly and pull it away from its socket on the switch
It will pop right out,you push/snap the new one in,reconnect the small connection and replace trim cup
Pick up the arms easily at a junk yard most GM's are the same exact arm ..depending on if you have cruise or not
or they can be had on ebay

when it was all said and done for me i said screw putting the air bag junk back in and i replaced the stock steering wheel with a aftermarket style

Last edited by defaultexistence; 01-31-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

i broke the bracket holding the columm together still havent got it fixed. now i put my finger in there to put the turn signals. Everything works just that the bracket isnt holding the cruise control wipers control arm.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't been really able to survey the damage, but it seems like the piece that the lever goes into is broken. I'm having a killer time trying to figure out the piece that is broken. Been looking at all those diagrams. I could be one of those hippies that signals with my arms..
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by latindragons
what you want to do is take out the airbag fuse, then disconnect the negative battery terminal. Then i recommend you wait a few minutes (go take a crap or something),

lol...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant find it now but I remember a DIY/sticky on how to make the high/low beam clicker easier to use... anyone know where it went?

I have an entire column I want to swap out and would like to do this while I have the new column out
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time be careful when you get in your car sasquatch.

Quick Reply: could use some help... get this i accidentally broke my turn signal arm off the colum